Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

His salary will count in cap if he retires the same as any player in the competition.
I am genuinely trying to understand why if an employee abandons their contract the employer has to include the forgone salary in any accounting as a cost. Sorry I forgot it was the AFL. Absolutely absurd organization. If this is a rule then this one wouldn't stand more than a morning's challenge in the Supreme Court. What are we to include phantoms in the salary cap???

On McVeigh, there would have been a discussion take place with coaches & leadership group where the pros & cons of he & Mills playing would have been discussed. We need to stop flattering ourselves, myself included, in that we are the better judges on whether he played in the GF, than his leaders & coaches, who no doubt came to the conclusion that a 60% fit Macca, would have been a better option than a 98% Marsh in the pressure cooker of a GF!

On McVeigh, there would have been a discussion take place with coaches & leadership group where the pros & cons of he & Mills playing would have been discussed. We need to stop flattering ourselves, myself included, in that we are the better judges on whether he played in the GF, than his leaders & coaches, who no doubt came to the conclusion that a 60% fit Macca, would have been a better option than a 98% Marsh in the pressure cooker of a GF!
Why, they had plenty of youngsters. Macca struggled at training on Friday morning. Infact Fawlty or Cunners might have been better.

To a degree, but then one could say the Dogs made the tough but correct call with Matthew Suckling. Almost feel players should have ZERO say in terms of playing in a GF. Of course they are going to say 'I'm fine to play'. You play half fit players and you are taking a massive gamble.

Longmire said that the decision to play McVeigh would be made by McVeigh in discussion with himself. It probably was a factor in costing us a premiership because he was nowhere in the last quarter

Longmire said that the decision to play McVeigh would be made by McVeigh in discussion with himself. It probably was a factor in costing us a premiership because he was nowhere in the last quarter

Again I ask WHY...seriously name me one player that won't say 'I'm fit' before a GF. What a ridiculous idea to have players tell coaches whether they are fit!

Maybe Longmire was concerned about the morale effect if they excluded McVeigh against his wishes

Then Longmire should take a hard look at himself. No player has the RIGHT to play in the GF. If they are fit they play, if not they are not picked, no room for sentimentality in GF's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true. We lacked a viable replacement. But an unfit McVeigh is pretty much useless. Won't s**t the bed, but will give us absolutely nothing in drive and determination.

He's as soft as they come. He may be carrying a significant injury, but if he's not willing to put his body on the line he can * off

Same, as long as the captaincy is not a burden to him.

I walked away from that Grand Final quite upset. Not because we lost but because I saw how distressed Josh Kennedy was.
That yells out CAPTAIN to me. If we don't make him captain next season, then we have no right to call on the 'Bloods' ethos going forward.
Josh represents everything that 'The Bloods' stands for as far as I'm concerned.

That was the greatest performance by one of our players in a GF ever!

For me he is hitting Paul Kelly territory. He's a beast & we need to bottle his spirit!

I walked away from that Grand Final quite upset. Not because we lost but because I saw how distressed Josh Kennedy was.
That yells out CAPTAIN to me. If we don't make him captain next season, then we have no right to call on the 'Bloods' ethos going forward.
Josh represents everything that 'The Bloods' stands for as far as I'm concerned.

That was the greatest performance by one of our players in a GF ever!

For me he is hitting Paul Kelly territory. He's a beast & we need to bottle his spirit!
I'm happy to hobble McHack...oh wait, he was hobbled before the GF!

Kennedy is everything you want in a captain, absolutely everything!

Shown him respect over previous seasons but he's now a liability. For everyone calling for outside run, it's this bloke who's preventing it! Respect went out the window when ROK got canned, it's best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back