Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I walked away from that Grand Final quite upset. Not because we lost but because I saw how distressed Josh Kennedy was.
That yells out CAPTAIN to me. If we don't make him captain next season, then we have no right to call on the 'Bloods' ethos going forward.
Josh represents everything that 'The Bloods' stands for as far as I'm concerned.

That was the greatest performance by one of our players in a GF ever!

For me he is hitting Paul Kelly territory. He's a beast & we need to bottle his spirit!
You best ever mate and it's true

I do think we should still show Macca some respect.
He is our p'ship Captain & unlike our other one, he still loves our club more than the Sobrave Bulldogs!
KJ would have been , it's like Hall, the next week Goodes would have been in the roster. #freekickbulldogs

ROK or LRT in their final seasons could have given more than Macca last Saturday IMO.

Macca has let me down way too many times now and is on his way out. He could be selfish and maintain his captaincy into his last year (possibly hoping it means he isn't dropped) or he could do the selfless thing and hand it on to the next generation and be there as a leader guiding them in their new role as he completes his final year.

Look at ROK, look at LRT, Shaw, Goodes... All played NEAFL and gave up their positions of power for the better of the club. He should too.

If the club is looking to a younger player to take over from Kizza/Macca in the long run (e.g. Heeney or Mills) then I'd suggest making someone like JPK or Parker captain in the interim would be perfect.

I liked Kizza as captain this year. He's hard. He's committed. He talks well. He directs traffic. He leads by example. He has a few years left in him. IMO he's a good leader.

I don't think Macca has shown near enough to be captain next year. He's not hard. He's not committed when it's his time to go. Yes I know there's the argument he's an outside player but even then he's been putting other guys in bad situations with hospital passes, bad timing, no pressure, not an once of tackling ability etc for months now. It's passed him by. Simple. His leadership value means nothing when he can't lift the side when we need him the most.

In fact, when we needed our captain the most he was nowhere to be sighted. JPK was though.

Why do we think the captaincy might be a burden for Josh? Is there something he does that gives that impression or is that a general thought for any player, that captaincy would be a burden??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mcveigh polled 3 votes in the medal tally tonight for his grand final. To state the obvious, the lowest on the field behind Rohan with 7. It has all been typed out above but that is a damning return from a captain.
His ego willkick in and go around again, selfish prick after what they did to ROK, twice the player

His ego willkick in and go around again, selfish prick after what they did to ROK, twice the player

Hope you're wrong, because my fear is if he goes on too long it might cost us another shot at a flag

They'll drop him if he's s**t. They dropped Goodes.
The coaches just said he put in the most pathetic gutless effort out of anyone on the ground. If they're fair dinkum then he can't possibly go on.

But they aren't, and he will.

The coaches just said he put in the most pathetic gutless effort out of anyone on the ground. If they're fair dinkum then he can't possibly go on.

As in can't go on another season on the list, or can't go on as captain?

I wouldn't call his game gutless - just completely ineffective. His body wasn't up to it and he shouldn't have been playing.

I suspect he'll be given a preseason to try and get his body right. If he's still useless next year he'I'll be dropped, captain or otherwise.

I know there's a lot who would like Kennedy, Hanners or Parker to be the next captain, but I wouldn't mind giving it to Grundy either. The guy was an absolute rock for us this year and it was an absolute joke that he didn't even make the 40 player AA squad. He was better than that fancy pants hairdo s**t campaigner from Shitmond, the one the media always gushes about and you can see BT furiously pounding away in his pants anytime he sees him.

McVeigh offers a lot of leadership, but even he must know that he's done as an elite footballer. He's got the pace of a semi-truck and the turning circle of an elephant. There were quite a few on the board, and even in the podcast, that wanted him to come into the team when I said no, and he spudded it up. His so called "elite" kicking skills inside 50 were no where to be seen and he was just poor.

Who knows, maybe he'll return to 2015 with a pre-season, but next year will have to be his last.

KJack & Grundy as captains for next season with Kennedy picking it up from Jack in '18. I think it's time for the old firm to lead the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know there's a lot who would like Kennedy, Hanners or Parker to be the next captain, but I wouldn't mind giving it to Grundy either. The guy was an absolute rock for us this year and it was an absolute joke that he didn't even make the 40 player AA squad. He was better than that fancy pants hairdo s**t campaigner from Shitmond, the one the media always gushes about and you can see BT furiously pounding away in his pants anytime he sees him.

McVeigh offers a lot of leadership, but even he must know that he's done as an elite footballer. He's got the pace of a semi-truck and the turning circle of an elephant. There were quite a few on the board, and even in the podcast, that wanted him to come into the team when I said no, and he spudded it up. His so called "elite" kicking skills inside 50 were no where to be seen and he was just poor.

Who knows, maybe he'll return to 2015 with a pre-season, but next year will have to be his last.

KJack & Grundy as captains for next season with Kennedy picking it up from Jack in '18. I think it's time for the old firm to lead the way.

Liked this but I really don't think a key defender can be captain. Its just not a good sign when they get moved off someone. No midfielder plays on someone else they just pick up the nearest opponent.

It's not just his latest calf injury, his body looks shot. He's still got a reasonable boot but has to be fed it from someone else and can't win his own.
I've seen a few contests where it's clear that he can barely jump and he just hopes it goes to ground. Have a feeling he will decline a lot next year

Hope you're wrong, because my fear is if he goes on too long it might cost us another shot at a flag

If he retired though, wouldn't we have his contract in our cap next year in addition to the draftee contract that we would need to replace him with? That is making our cap even smaller for next year which I think would cost us a lot more then letting him play in the NEAFL next year being an onfield coach and being good depth.

As a current captain, with a year to run on his contract & that still counting towards our salary cap, it would be poor list management to force him into retirement without allowing a loyal servant of our club the chance to do his first pre season in two years & to present himself fit & healthy for round one.
That is all we need to say! The captaincy is a totally different discussion & I think that should be handed over to Kennedy.

He is our p'ship Captain & unlike our other one, he still loves our club more than the Sobrave Bulldogs!
It's a two way street Respect.......I feel he may not have shown enough by putting his hand up when obviously not right.

It's a two way street Respect.......I feel he may not have shown enough by putting his hand up when obviously not right.
The club respected him to make the right call on playing the GF or not. He put his up to play so it's on him... He was voted by the coaches as the worst performed on the day. The WORST player out of everyone. There is no way known we should accept that from our captain. No way. That performance & decision to play is on him.

It's got nothing to do with his leadership qualities as such. He's a great leader, he wouldn't be captain otherwise. It's more to do with him being over it physically and not able to stand up when it counts. We can't rely on him. We can't trust his performances & we can't trust he'll be there when we need him the most.

We aren't disrespecting him by saying these things... We know he bleeds for the club. Which is why I reckon he'll do the right thing and pass the torch on while the passing's still good... like Maxy & Goodesy did.

Ive always stuck up for him.....Now all I see is a bloke going on to long who has no run no defensive presence and diminished skills.
Hang them up chief.

I think he has respect for his past contributions to the club, but I don't see any real upside to him playing in 2017. In home and away games against s**t teams he may look fine, but I don't think he gave us much at all in this year's finals.

And he's SLOW. He's not retiring, which means we're stuck with him for another year, but I hope Horse is ruthless, ala ROK. If you can't hack it, you're in the twos.

With Talia, Allir and (fingers crossed) AJ to come back, there seems little room for McVeigh down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back