Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

When he retires next year, his salary is going to help keeping Jones, Kennedy, Heeney and Reid, who can all get an increase out of it.

Hopefully any NSW Ambassador money (if it exists) goes to bump up Heeney's deal as well.

I think he has respect for his past contributions to the club, but I don't see any real upside to him playing in 2017. In home and away games against s**t teams he may look fine, but I don't think he gave us much at all in this year's finals.

And he's SLOW. He's not retiring, which means we're stuck with him for another year, but I hope Horse is ruthless, ala ROK. If you can't hack it, you're in the twos.
With Talia, Allir and (fingers crossed) AJ to come back, there seems little room for McVeigh down back.

Like I said!
He has a year to run which is part of the cap & we will make the most of him. If he presents well for round one then gets the first go nto hold his position.
Just as ROK did for 5 weeks!
Longmire doesn't pull any punches!

What really pisses me off and I saw it in robbery that occurred last week, is that he's pointing to everyone else and doesn't pick up a man himself and it has cost us goals this year.
He tries to create space for himself as a loose man off the pack so he is usually directing a team mate to stand between his own opponent and McVeigh's. It worked alright in 2015. This year the opposition coaches worked him out.

I think he has respect for his past contributions to the club, but I don't see any real upside to him playing in 2017. In home and away games against s**t teams he may look fine, but I don't think he gave us much at all in this year's finals.

And he's SLOW. He's not retiring, which means we're stuck with him for another year, but I hope Horse is ruthless, ala ROK. If you can't hack it, you're in the twos.

With Talia, Allir and (fingers crossed) AJ to come back, there seems little room for McVeigh down back.
Geelong db? Wtf?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been covered, or if this should be on another thread, but what's the chance that McVeigh and Jack may step down as captains next year? I personally think the time is right. We have so many younger players that deserve the right and it would allow McVeigh and Jack to concentrate on their football during their final seasons. I know Mills has been touted as a future captain, but I think its much too early for him yet, but Parker, Hannebery, Kennedy could all fill that space.

Not sure if this has been covered, or if this should be on another thread, but what's the chance that McVeigh and Jack may step down as captains next year? I personally think the time is right. We have so many younger players that deserve the right and it would allow McVeigh and Jack to concentrate on their football during their final seasons. I know Mills has been touted as a future captain, but I think its much too early for him yet, but Parker, Hannebery, Kennedy could all fill that space.

Would prefer someone who doesn't go missing.

With a full pre-season and relieved of the captaincy, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays out the year.

With a full pre-season and relieved of the captaincy, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays out the year.

Hopefully him stepping down will allow people to more accurately assess his value.

That goes for the club, and for his detractors who think he has nothing to contribute.

Doesn't matter anymore.He will see how he goes & will pull the pin early if he strugglesto get up physically like others before him have.

Maxfield retired mid year as did C Bolton..
No shame in trying to see our his cpntract if he can offer something but I believe he will move to the coaches box very soon if things don't yurn out on field for him.
Stepping aside as Captain is good for him onfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back