Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I grew up in Port Melbourne. And McVeigh is too slow to play AFL at the top level. You seem to forget in AFL you play on an opponent. Did you see Kane Turner motor past him until he developed that incredibly convenient "hamstring tightness'?

That's a bit disrepectful suggesting Macca faked his injury. I'd say that despite his injury the fact that he pushed his man off, scooped the ball with one hand and slotted it through from a tight angle is what we should be talking about. Macca goes forward and snags a couple of goals. The opposition should be more worroed about what he can still do, even with an injury. Don't under-estimate the guy and his impact on the team as a whole. I agree he's on his last legs but those legs and smarts are still very capable. His first game back he straightened out the defence and when he skilfully booted a long pass which led to the first set shot he immediately set the tone for the match. Those long passes travel a lot faster than anyone can run and we sorely missed his skills in that depertment. How often have we seen our hard runners break the lines only to cough up the ball on deliver ? You're looking for fault in Macca to try to justify retiring him. Let me tell you, he'll sign off when he's ready and he'll know better than you or me when that time comes.

Unlike some on here I still think he has a part to play this season, even if it's only as a depth player. Hope the former captain can pull on the boots a few more times at least.
He is contracted for the whole 2017 season so it would be a pointless excercise pulling the pin early unless he, the coaches & leaders thought he was done.
Our club doesn't hold back on hard calls.

That's a bit disrepectful suggesting Macca faked his injury. I'd say that despite his injury the fact that he pushed his man off, scooped the ball with one hand and slotted it through from a tight angle is what we should be talking about. Macca goes forward and snags a couple of goals. The opposition should be more worroed about what he can still do, even with an injury. Don't under-estimate the guy and his impact on the team as a whole. I agree he's on his last legs but those legs and smarts are still very capable. His first game back he straightened out the defence and when he skilfully booted a long pass which led to the first set shot he immediately set the tone for the match. Those long passes travel a lot faster than anyone can run and we sorely missed his skills in that depertment. How often have we seen our hard runners break the lines only to cough up the ball on deliver ? You're looking for fault in Macca to try to justify retiring him. Let me tell you, he'll sign off when he's ready and he'll know better than you or me when that time comes.
Where does all this respect come from? He is a professional footballer. I respect those who sacrifice for others - medical workers in the Congo for example. He did fake the "hamstring tightness". The "treatment" he received for the tightness consisted of a rub down. As for pushing off his opponent he actually pushed him in the back. I think he got four kicks for the match. As for him signing off when he is ready his decision to play in the GF (and it was his decision according to Longmire) cost us dearly in a GF. Since when does the decision about the dropping of an over the hill player depend on the player's assessment? Its time for this charade about him contributing leadership and foot skills to end. He is clearly too slow and is continually breaking down especially as when he was out paced by Kane Turner. This McVeigh thing is a fiasco.

Maxfield did the most "bloodslike" thing imaginable in 2005, sacrificing the captaincy because he knew he couldn't contribute at the level required. To me, Bloods culture means being honest with yourself and your teammates. Now I don't know if Macca is at that point, and I haven't completely written him off yet, but you said yourself that with a full side, he might struggle to make it. And I'm not convinced by the argument that McVeigh back resulted in better organisation, either. I think the last three weeks have seen improvement across the board, which wasn't solely due to McVeigh, IMO. He didn't play against the Saints and that was our best win for the season.
He stepped down and missed the opportunity for a GF medal after he dragged us up and was one of the catalysts of the Bloods culture. McVeigh did the exact opposite in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not over a kid who is more deserving of a spot based on form.

Theres enough players doing sod all, drop anyone you like and get a great clubman to 300, give us something to cheer

Theres enough players doing sod all, drop anyone you like and get a great clubman to 300, give us something to cheer

List spots for next year are at stake. Perfect opportunity to find out who has what it takes and who wants to be a part of this club going forward.

List spots for next year are at stake. Perfect opportunity to find out who has what it takes and who wants to be a part of this club going forward.

There aren't that many up for debate. Dawson and Talia are the only senior listed players out of contract this year that I don't think we know enough of at senior level. Johnson too I suppose but they will surely give him a full pre-season if he stays right.

Leonardis is surely delisted, don't even recall him being an emergency ever. BJ will be gone.

There aren't that many up for debate. Dawson and Talia are the only senior listed players out of contract this year that I don't think we know enough of at senior level. Johnson too I suppose but they will surely give him a full pre-season if he stays right.

Leonardis is surely delisted, don't even recall him being an emergency ever. BJ will be gone.

True. I just think we should play our best possible 22. I'm not too sure if McVeigh is in it at the moment, though it sounds like he'll get a chance against the Bulldogs.

It might just be me but I think the side has really missed McVeigh and Jack's on field leadership and direction this year.

They may not be the greatest players any more but they are both still important to the team as they help up keep our structure on the field.

If McVeigh was playing on the weekend I am pretty confident we would of started going man on man with Hawthorn a lot earlier to try and stop their chipping game.

And they will run him off his legs

Just as an aside Bedford I know Mark McVeigh quite well as do a few of the boys where I work and could probably get Mark to introduce you To Jarrad next time the Swans are in Melbourne. That way you could give him some career advice moving forward and also tell him why you have been so critical of him his whole career. It's easily done just call your Old Mate and he will give you my number and away we go.

Just as an aside Bedford I know Mark McVeigh quite well as do a few of the boys where I work and could probably get Mark to introduce you To Jarrad next time the Swans are in Melbourne. That way you could give him some career advice moving forward and also tell him why you have been so critical of him his whole career. It's easily done just call your Old Mate and he will give you my number and away we go.
He has been a very good player and I've said that before. Im my opinion he was given too many games early and has struggled lately with injury and in my opinion he has been over rated. Happy to chat to Jarrad anytime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back