News Jarrad Schofield departs for West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

So, could we infer that a restructure in anticipation of Voss's eventual departure had Schofield behind Montgomery in line for the senior assistant role?

Whether that was on genuine merit, or just Ken being afraid of Schofield eventually taking his job, I can see how that would be enough to tip Schofield out. He's a good coach, but he's also definitely a careerist.

One thing I noticed in the prelim final was Hinkley and Monty seemed to be joined at the hip heading up to the coaches box after the breaks.

One thing I noticed in the prelim final was Hinkley and Monty seemed to be joined at the hip heading up to the coaches box after the breaks.

That's so disappointing. I really hoped that Monty would be the hard arsed dissenting voice that helped keep Ken accountable.

I don't want him as our next coach any more then.

I don't see any way that Clarkson comes to Port.

Even if he wanted to come to Port, the AFL wouldn't let him.

The AFL wants him to go to their pet basket case on the Gold Coast and they will do whatever it takes to get him there.

I reckon he'll either coach at Gold Coast or nowhere.

It will be interesting to see how Clarkson goes at his next gig.

My personal take is he gets a lot of the credit but I'm still convinced Hodge's on field leadership was a huge part of their successful years.

Then there was a lot of others around him.

Curious to see if he brings a whole team of assistants, off field support with him at his new role

So, could we infer that a restructure in anticipation of Voss's eventual departure had Schofield behind Montgomery in line for the senior assistant role?
Monty as Senior assistant would be fine, we know if we do get rid of Voss, the extra s**t on the sandwich will be Bassett as Senior assistant though.

If it gets him the fu** out of the forward line, I'm willing to take that for the moment.
yeah give him an admin role, get him to do the Voss on the boundary line role, and get away from our forward line. It's been an abomination for too long.

Did anybody hear why Schofield really left?

Per an extremely good source, Hinkley refused to seriously consider his ideas, felt threatened by him, so Schoey left and Port weren't sad to see him go given theyre tied to Hinkley.

Infuriating because my source described Schoey as "an unbelievably brilliant coach."

Ken only wants yes men. Any opinion to the contrary and he is immediately threatened. He is actually more concerned about his own job security than the actual performance of the team - when anyone knows if you have success your job security follows it.

Per an extremely good source, Hinkley refused to seriously consider his ideas, felt threatened by him, so Schoey left and Port weren't sad to see him go given theyre tied to Hinkley.

Infuriating because my source described Schoey as "an unbelievably brilliant coach."

Ken only wants yes men. Any opinion to the contrary and he is immediately threatened. He is actually more concerned about his own job security than the actual performance of the team - when anyone knows if you have success your job security follows it.

I mean, it's very obvious this is exactly what happened.

Thanks for another dagger in the heart :'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard he had an amazing rapport with the players. Completely different dynamic to Hinkley.

The news of his departure leading in to the prelim would not have been the ideal prep. Could somewhat explain why we played our worst game of the year in our most important game of the year.

Even though it was painful to lose the prelim it is probably a blessing in disguise. Ken probably felt comfortable after we finished 3rd last year and got his extension.
Now I think it's all changed after that loss another fail next year and he is toast. So he goes into 2022 like he did 2020 were he had to make finals to get an extension.
The feeling I get is that loss has changed the club and ken. Club is angry at ken but gives ken one more chance. For ken i think either he starts lisinenting to assistant coaches advice or he self destructs
I also hear he doesn't always take advice re. Team selections which makes sense. Hoping the new midfield coach is someone with good footy brains with ideas and not a yes man.

But if it's true that the big cucumber wasn't letting him do what he wanted, that becomes less relevant.

I'm no apologist for Hinkley, but let's be serious. Schofield is in charge of the midfield group and they failed us appallingly after getting the message for two weeks that the last thing we could afford was for the Bulldogs to get off to a fast start.

They failed to win contested ball, they didn't cover the outlet options when the Bulldogs set up the umbrella around the contested situations, they didn't push back hard enough to help the defence when the Dogs mids pushed forward. That's all in Schofield's wheelhouse. I'm sure Hinkley didn't instruct him to tell the Port players not do those things.

I'm no apologist for Hinkley, but let's be serious. Schofield is in charge of the midfield group and they failed us appallingly after getting the message for two weeks that the last thing we could afford was for the Bulldogs to get off to a fast start.

They failed to win contested ball, they didn't cover the outlet options when the Bulldogs set up the umbrella around the contested situations, they didn't push back hard enough to help the defence when the Dogs mids pushed forward. That's all in Schofield's wheelhouse. I'm sure Hinkley didn't instruct him to tell the Port players not do those things.
Maybe not but if they were getting mixed messaging and at worst outright fighting that would lead to total confusion which could cause this sort of thing.

Back in the FIFA World Cup in South Africa we played Germany in our first game and immediately prior to the game the coach and captain had a falling out. Looked totally confused and lost the game 4-0 and destroyed the campaign (ended up drawing and winning games 2 and 3 but it wasn't enough).

Maybe not but if they were getting mixed messaging and at worst outright fighting that would lead to total confusion which could cause this sort of thing.

Back in the FIFA World Cup in South Africa we played Germany in our first game and immediately prior to the game the coach and captain had a falling out. Looked totally confused and lost the game 4-0 and destroyed the campaign (ended up drawing and winning games 2 and 3 but it wasn't enough).

So a team that had fought its way to second place despite a plethora of injuries throughout the year and had destroyed Geelong in its first final lost a prelim final by 70 odd points because *maybe* there was a falling out between Hinkley and Schofield at some point leading up to the game? Which caused the midfielders to not even execute the basics of football?

Like I said, I'm no apologist for Hinkley - he's had a long run at Port and he has to accept his share of the blame for what happened in that final game, but let's not make others out to be blameless for the mess of that prelim final.

Anything Thundercloud likes is an immediate furphy.

How is it a furphy? How is Schofield blameless for what happened in the prelim final?

How is it a furphy? How is Schofield blameless for what happened in the prelim final?
The only way would be if he and Schofield had a falling out about Schoey leaving and Ken totally over ruled him on the prelim game plan with the players on Schoeys side.

So a team that had fought its way to second place despite a plethora of injuries throughout the year and had destroyed Geelong in its first final lost a prelim final by 70 odd points because *maybe* there was a falling out between Hinkley and Schofield at some point leading up to the game? Which caused the midfielders to not even execute the basics of football?

Like I said, I'm no apologist for Hinkley - he's had a long run at Port and he has to accept his share of the blame for what happened in that final game, but let's not make others out to be blameless for the mess of that prelim final.

Yeah I mean its all just theory, but I'm just saying that a falling out could potentially be an explanation for it. There is a 4 year lead up to the World Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back