Traded Jarrad Witts [traded to Gold Coast for picks 44 & 62]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see it. Rhys Stanley played 37 games the two years before getting traded so was more or less best 22. Witts has played 12 so far and obviously isn't best 22. There's been a fair tradition of backup rucks leaving for more opportunities, and most end up getting between the mid-30s and mid-50s. goodie23's list isn't too bad, and could even add Jacobs (picks 33 and 67) and Martin (picks 53 and 73) to it.

Witts was our starting ruck in round 1 over Grundy, a game he injured himself in and missed extended time as a result of. Our number one ruck role is not actually as clear cut as you would believe and Witts is still very much in the frame there.

Witts was our starting ruck in round 1 over Grundy, a game he injured himself in and missed extended time as a result of. Our number one ruck role is not actually as clear cut as you would believe and Witts is still very much in the frame there.

Grundy seemed to be Favoured as Witts has not got back into the Side. Witts been playing well in VFL and Can't get a Game

Serious question: do you think Grundy and Witts can play in the same team? As an outsider, it seems to me that they both are "first ruck" types, who can't really play anywhere else.

Here are some recent comparable examples of trades for ruckmen.

Billy Longer and pick 48 > Pick 25 and and 41
Tom Hickey, pick 27 and pick 47 > Pick 13, pick 37 and pick 57
Ben McEvoy > Pick 17 and Shane Savage

I think early 2nd round is looking to be about the mark. The mid to late first round isn't out of the question if decent pick exchanges are involved, and going off the above examples.

The only uckman here that Witts comapres to is Longer, and even still i would take Longer.

Hickey has come on beautifully and Mcevoy has had a lot of success in his career.

Witts is no good.

Any other young recruits from Brisbane looking for a move back to Victoria? :p

We've got a young defender in his early 20s, very competitive, best 22 at the moment but can't get a game in front of injured stars like Andrews and Gardiner. Great bloke.

So Paine for Witts?

GWS are after Mumford replacement. Collingwood need talent. I am sure a trade can be done.

What is his VFL form like? Is he ok around the ground?

GWS have plenty of young ruck talent coming through. I can't see them going with Witts.

Lions, GC are two teams who might be interested though.

Personally I think Witts will be a fine ruck at AFL level once he finds his feet. He reminds me a bit of Jacobs and like Jacobs he will take a little while. I see him going for a pick around 20 and I think it could end up a bargain for whoever gets him.

I know you're taking the piss but... wait a second. He's being played as a defender?

Yeah. Did a decent job of it in the reserves and with Andrews and Gardiner injured and Clarke retired he's actually playing in our seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question: do you think Grundy and Witts can play in the same team? As an outsider, it seems to me that they both are "first ruck" types, who can't really play anywhere else.

No they can't play in the same side in my opinion. Neither is great forward, which is why Cox is playing.

The only uckman here that Witts comapres to is Longer, and even still i would take Longer.

Hickey has come on beautifully and Mcevoy has had a lot of success in his career.

Witts is no good.

You're judging that in retrospect. At the time Hickey and Longer weren't established players. Longer still isn't.

Your that badly off?

We're playing someone who, at the start of the year, would've been our 5th or 6th KPD option. I think that speaks for itself.

GWS are after Mumford replacement. Collingwood need talent. I am sure a trade can be done.

What is his VFL form like? Is he ok around the ground?

Freo will be after a Sandi replacement, Zac Clarke is apparently s**t (read their board) and they dont have much else. I am sure a trade can be done. Wont be for their first and they dont have a second, third rounder it is then.

Richmond could probably only offer a 3rd round pick or next years 2nd rounder

Sent from my iPhone

I wouldn't trade a top 40 pick for him. Zac Smith showed more at AFL level at GC than Witts ever has.

Witts has not been Permantly Injured like Smith Was

Not worth much. Pick in the 30s at best. Also the Stanley comparison is a poor one. Stanley was contracted, more versatile, had shown more promise and was picked up by a club wanting to turn him into a ruckman. That's a lot of reasons Geelong were willing and had to pay overs compared to other trades. Zach Smith being a talented, uncontracted ruckman struggling to get a game looks a more reasonable comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back