Traded Jarrad Witts [traded to Gold Coast for picks 44 & 62]

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile, Collingwood ruckman Jarrod Witts is resisting Collingwood’s overtures on a new contract until his position becomes clearer.

The Pies are keen to lock away their 209cm ruckman but after only a single game this year he is happy to wait on a new deal.

Witts played Round 1 but has been overlooked for Brodie Grundy and Mason Cox, with a split finger webbing also sidelining him for a month.

Most clubs have a lead ruckman but many are looking for handy backup reinforcements, with Witts keen to play regular AFL football.

So he Knocked back our Contract Offer and Is Behind Grundy and Cox at the Moment.

So who would be Interested and What we get for Him?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/03a5973e71f82d34cec5cf1f435e7170

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I understand he may want and is probably ready for more opportunity, but I'd like the Pies to keep him if they can. I think he's got it in him to be a club's #1 ruckman at AFL level. He works pretty hard, does the little things (tackling, 1%ers) reasonably well, and is fairly agile and coordinated for a bloke his size. Like most ruckman, he'd look a lot better getting a consistent go at rucking the majority of the game (rather than working in tandem with someone else, or being rotated around or in and out of the side). I don't think Collingwood would or should break the bank to accomodate him, though.

Brisbane should have a go at him I reckon, even if they sign Josh Jenkins as well. Stef Martin will be 30 at the end of the year, and has already dropped off significantly from his 2014-2015 form. The only other ruckmen the Lions have are Trent West (29 at the end of the season, and only really a stop-gap depth type) and project youngster Archie Smith on the Rookie List.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I understand he may want and is probably ready for more opportunity, but I'd like the Pies to keep him if they can. I think he's got it in him to be a club's #1 ruckman at AFL level. He works pretty hard, does the little things (tackling, 1%ers) reasonably well, and is fairly agile and coordinated for a bloke his size. Like most ruckman, he'd look a lot better getting a consistent go at rucking the majority of the game (rather than working in tandem with someone else, or being rotated around or in and out of the side). I don't think Collingwood would or should break the bank to accomodate him, though.

Brisbane should have a go at him I reckon, even if they sign Josh Jenkins as well. Stef Martin will be 30 at the end of the year, and has already dropped off significantly from his 2014-2015 form. The only other ruckmen the Lions have are Trent West (29 at the end of the season, and only really a stop-gap depth type) and project youngster Archie Smith on the Rookie List.
We'll give Pies a third round pick for him

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
We'll give Pies a third round pick for him

Considering that'll be somewhere in the 37-40 range, it's probably fair value on the face of things, but maybe "unders" considering what has traded hands for other players in recent times.

Really, if he's out of contract, and doesn't re-sign with the Pies, then he should be free to sign with a club of his choosing, without a trade even being required. But of course, the half-arsed, illogical AFL system somehow still requires uncontracted players to be traded.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering that'll be somewhere in the 37-40 range, it's probably fair value on the face of things, but maybe "unders" considering what has traded hands for other players in recent times.

Really, if he's out of contract, and doesn't re-sign with the Pies, then he should be free to sign with a club of his choosing, without a trade even being required. But of course, the half-arsed, illogical AFL system somehow still requires uncontracted players to be traded.
Our 3rd round pick is dependent on where North Melbourne finished so it's probably closer to pick 50 after Academy bidding

Richmond should be right into him.

Magic is done, Vickery might be gone at years end, Griffiths is injured again.

He may even be an upgrade on Hampson.

Edit: I also think Ruckman are worth more to the right buyer then they would otherwise be on the open market. Get 2 teams interested and all of a sudden he is a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Here are some recent comparable examples of trades for ruckmen.

Billy Longer and pick 48 > Pick 25 and and 41
Tom Hickey, pick 27 and pick 47 > Pick 13, pick 37 and pick 57
Ben McEvoy > Pick 17 and Shane Savage

I think early 2nd round is looking to be about the mark. The mid to late first round isn't out of the question if decent pick exchanges are involved, and going off the above examples.

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS
The market dictates the value, just not sure which clubs will come running with offers. Previous years trades are not really relevant, these clubs had a need so went out and got it. I reckon Daw would be in more demand for clubs after a fwd/ruck.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
"Send him to the dogs for their first round pick, they have crap rucks"
There is at least one post like taht on every single page on the Collingood trade talk thread.

"Trade Witts for Bulldogs first rounder - done deal"
"Let's take Richmond's 1st rounder for Witts. Win-win"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is at least one post like taht on every single page on the Collingood trade talk thread.

"Trade Witts for Bulldogs first rounder - done deal"

Exactly. Never mind Bulldogs' crap rucks actually playing pretty well this year and getting well on top of the guy who is keeping Witts out of the side

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Here are some recent comparable examples of trades for ruckmen.

Billy Longer and pick 48 > Pick 25 and and 41
Tom Hickey, pick 27 and pick 47 > Pick 13, pick 37 and pick 57
Ben McEvoy > Pick 17 and Shane Savage

I think early 2nd round is looking to be about the mark. The mid to late first round isn't out of the question if decent pick exchanges are involved, and going off the above examples.
Reckon he's more of a Zac Smith type. What did the Cats trade for him?

Reckon he's more of a Zac Smith type. What did the Cats trade for him?
Smith went for picks 49 and 53. Could similarly lump him with Rhys Stanley (sent with pick 60 for pick 21), Shaun Hampson (pick 32) and Trent West (pick 41).

Hell, Mumford went to GWS for pick 35. It all comes down to who he wants to go to, how badly they want him and what they have to offer. Ruckman have currency but I'd be very surprised to see a first rounder in play for Witts without someone/something else going with him.

piesaregreat

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pity about TradeDrafts claim being bullshit Witts is not behind Cox they play different positions and has left out the significant fact that Witts is recovering from injury and was ahead of Grundy before injuring himself.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Smith went for picks 49 and 53. Could similarly lump him with Rhys Stanley (sent with pick 60 for pick 21), Shaun Hampson (pick 32) and Trent West (pick 41).

Hell, Mumford went to GWS for pick 35. It all comes down to who he wants to go to, how badly they want him and what they have to offer. Ruckman have currency but I'd be very surprised to see a first rounder in play for Witts without someone/something else going with him.
Would think clubs worked out that they got reamed in overpaying in your examples above (Stanley, Hampson, west). Mumford is also ten times the ruckman Witts ever will be.

Smith is the most recent example being traded last year. Any talk of anything near a first rounder for a soft unproven player that can't crack the senior side is deluded.

Should go for similar to what Rhys Stanley fetched St Kilda. Early-mid 20s

Can't see it. Rhys Stanley played 37 games the two years before getting traded so was more or less best 22. Witts has played 12 so far and obviously isn't best 22. There's been a fair tradition of backup rucks leaving for more opportunities, and most end up getting between the mid-30s and mid-50s. goodie23's list isn't too bad, and could even add Jacobs (picks 33 and 67) and Martin (picks 53 and 73) to it.

So you'd be ok if Melb gave up their second for him?
We don't really need a ruckman though. I would be if we did.
Can't see it. Rhys Stanley played 37 games the two years before getting traded so was more or less best 22. Witts has played 12 so far and obviously isn't best 22. There's been a fair tradition of backup rucks leaving for more opportunities, and most end up getting between the mid-30s and mid-50s. goodie23's list isn't too bad, and could even add Jacobs (picks 33 and 67) and Martin (picks 53 and 73) to it.
Its unsustainable to keep developing rucks and then trading them for next to nothing. Trades like Mummy, Jacobs and Martin aren't going to happen at the moment - clubs have wised up a little bit. Witts isn't playing much, but he's shown genuine ability, is 209cm, and is ready to start showing more at 23. He'll be really good one day if developed wisely. If I'd suggested you trade a second round pick for Gawn at the end of 2014, you'd have laughed. Big guys take time, and the clubs who put the initial time into them deserve a bit of compensation.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Would think clubs worked out that they got reamed in overpaying in your examples above (Stanley, Hampson, west). Mumford is also ten times the ruckman Witts ever will be.

Smith is the most recent example being traded last year. Any talk of anything near a first rounder for a soft unproven player that can't crack the senior side is deluded.

This thread might be interesting reading at trade time. Those potting Witts forget he's nearly 7ft and they take time.

Its unsustainable to keep developing rucks and then trading them for next to nothing. Trades like Mummy, Jacobs and Martin aren't going to happen at the moment - clubs have wised up a little bit. Witts isn't playing much, but he's shown genuine ability, is 209cm, and is ready to start showing more at 23. He'll be really good one day if developed wisely. If I'd suggested you trade a second round pick for Gawn at the end of 2014, you'd have laughed. Big guys take time, and the clubs who put the initial time into them deserve a bit of compensation.

The club might deserve compensation (speaking as a supporter of a team that lost a pick 8 ruck for pick 25), but all the evidence to date is that backup rucks do not generate reasonable trade offers precisely because there is a limited number of rucks a team can play. Clubs pursuing the backup rucks aren't about to start increasing their offers just because a competitor "deserves a bit of competition".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back