Senior Jarrod Berry (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bio:

Former club: North Ballarat Rebels
Height: 191cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Defender

The flexible defender/midfielder pushed his name to the top rungs of the draft pool in 2015 when he was named an All Australian as a bottom-ager. Regarded as a character of the highest quality, he captained both the Vic Metro and North Ballarat Rebels in 2016. Despite being hindered by shoulder and knee injuries, he continued to showcase his running power and elusiveness in a range of positions. Could develop into a key defender. At the NAB AFL Draft Combine he finished equal-first in both the beep test and the 3km time trial and was third in the kicking test.

The Brisbane Lions have selected North Ballarat Rebels’ Jarrod Berry with pick #17 at the NAB AFL National Draft in Sydney.

Berry is a great leader who was perhaps the best performer at the recent draft combine.

He is an incredible endurance athlete and is a versatile prospect on the footy field.

Standing at 191cm, he can play across both half forward and half back, but his elite engine could soon see him develop into a full-time on-baller.

JARROD BERRY: 191cm/82kg, 5/2/98

• Vic Country / North Ballarat Rebels
  • Hybrid Mid / Hyb Defender
  • 2015 VC MVP & AA.
  • Captain of both North Ballarat and Vic Country, his season was restricted by injury and lacked the impact of last year.
  • A versatile, athletic type who plays with a great team ethos and leadership.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-11-25/pick-17-jarrod-berry

Articles:

Jarrod Berry was at home, playing on the PlayStation, on the day everything changed. He can't remember what he thought, what he said or what he did when his mother told him and his three brothers that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer, because he said and did nothing, and his mind went blank. "Everyone got very emotional and I was sitting there trying to take it all in, not knowing what to do," he said. "I wasn't crying, I wasn't doing anything. It was such a big thing to happen to our family and I knew that but I was too young to understand the impact it was going to have. I thought she'd be all right. I thought that was how it worked, that you got sick and then you got better."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-2016-jarrod-and-the-berry-boys-20161113-gso6xg.html

Going places: The grief driving Jarrod Berry's crack at the big time

Pt 1: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...f-driving-jarrod-berrys-crack-at-the-big-time
Pt 2: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-15/going-places-jarrod-berry-learns-to-curb-his-enthusiasm

Berry is as tough as they come. He isn't afraid of getting in harm's way to win the ball, and sometimes he could be accused of having too much courage. Late in the year he suffered a bruised kidney early in a game for North Ballarat but played another quarter with the injury, believing it to be just a bump. He spent a couple of days in hospital nursing the injury afterwards.

He matches that hardness with genuine athleticism. He proved that at the combine, and reminded people of his running capacity and competitiveness. His size makes for an interesting player, because at different stages throughout the year he was deployed across half-back, through the midfield and later in the year spent time for the Rebels closer to goal (including back-to-back three-goal performances). He averaged 17 disposals for the Rebels in eight games.

Berry's leadership is also an important part of his make-up. He captained the Rebels, Vic Country and the NAB AFL Academy this year, and was named the academy's Ben Mitchell medallist – an award voted on by his peers for who best displays the values of the academy.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-10-28/jarrod-berry-as-tough-as-they-come

Highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was rated a top 10 prospect heading into the year after a great underage year last season. Dropped off a little this year but his mix of size and athleticism to go with his competitiveness, courage and leadership ability leaves us with plenty to work with. A genuine utility who can play off the half back flank, forward flank and through the midfield. I think we should try and develop him into a big bodied, strong, powerful midfielder. Good get and he should play senior footy next year.

Knightmare

23. Jarrod Berry (VIC)

Best position:
Utility

Height, weight: 191cm, 80kg

Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels

Plays like: Jack Grimes

Projected draft range: first to second round

Rated last month: 29

Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Has had an injury-interrupted season but has shown promise in multiple positions. 

Strengths:

- Leadership

- Run and carry

- Burst of pace

- Shrugs tackles

- Contested-ball winning

- Puts body on the line

- Versatility to play multiple positions with the scope to play midfield, forward or back well

- Scoreboard impact when used forward of centre

- Reading of the flight

- Intercept marking

- Aerial marking

- Vision

- Hurt factor by foot when given time to lower eyes and find a target up the field

Weaknesses:

- Inconsistent footskills

- Rushes decision-making under pressure

- Unclear best position (arguably looking best off half-forward late season)

Quigley
14. Jarrod Berry

There were a few bottom agers from last year who were really expected to kick on this year, who disappointed a bit this year. Berry would be one who would fall into that category for most I would suggest. He is still likely to be taken in the teens, so he has not fallen too far, but he is not seen as the can't miss prospect he was at this stage last year. A big selling feature for him has always been his character and that continues to be the case despite having a less than ideal year. He was the Vic Country captain and won the medal at the AFL Academy for the player who best epitomised the academy ideals. Character is valued higher than ever in the AFL at the moment and that helps Berry get picked higher than guys who had comparable seasons.

Berry had a shoulder reconstruction after last season and had an interrupted preseason as a result. He also had some issues with the shoulder over the year and that would concern teams as shoulders never get back to the way they were and it could affect his marking ability. Take Fyfe as an example of a guy who is an excellent mark but the shoulder issues just keep reoccurring. That could easily happen with Berry. Interestingly, Berry looked lighter to me this year than last year. Last year Berry looked a very developed bottom ager with some nice muscle bulk. This year he looked more slight and not as cut as he was last year. Despite his slight build I thought he showed some nice strength through the hips but it might have been that his shoulder injury has affected the amount of time he has spent in the gym.

The other concern for me is probably the lack of disposals he managed this year. He was mostly on the defensive flank but he did move around a fair bit in the TAC this year, spending time not only at the back but also through the midfield and some time up forward. In the TAC he only managed 16.8 disposals a game which is a bit low for a running flanker type. He seems smart enough and has the endurance to run his opponent into the ground but he did not seem to be getting to space enough. I am not sure exactly what was going on but the lack of production is a bit of a flag for me.

One area where Berry did improve quite a bit this year was with his kicking. I had serious concerns about his disposal skills last year but this year he looked much more solid. He seems to have cleaned up his kicking style, with less of an around the corner style and he has wound back the risk level on his kicks. When I have seen him this year he has taken the safer options most often and hit them. The touch on his kicks seems a lot better this year as well. Although I don't put a lot of store in the skills testing at the Combine it is worth noting he was in the top 15% in both the kicking and clean hands test. The goal kicking was a different story though where he was in the bottom 5%.

Overall Berry had a very good Combine with no real weaknesses being highlighted. He won the 3km with 9.46, a personal best, and was equal first in the beep test with 15.1. He was also in the top 10 in the agility test and the repeat sprint. His 20m was nothing to write home about at 3.01 but it was not a weakness by any means. He probably performed poorest in the jumps where he was average or below in each of the tests. Taken as a whole though, Berry demonstrated that he is a very impressive athletic package.

I see Berry as a back flanker at AFL level and I think he should do pretty well. Defensively he is quite good and does a job well. He has been a very good intercept marker and if that is not affected by his shoulder problems he could be a nice option as a loose option at the back. He does need to make better use of his run though. If I was asked for a comparison I would probably go with Nick Haynes of GWS.

Fagan talks about our draftees

“Jarrod Berry, he’s running machine, a big-bodied midfielder and with great leadership qualities – he’s impressed already,” the Brisbane coach said.

Confirms what a lot of us had suspected that our staff see him as a midfielder, though it wouldn't surprise me to see him used in a few other areas of the until he solidifies a spot in the midfield.

Shades of Pendles in McCluggage: Beams
The Lions have selected their top two draft picks, best mates McCluggage (pick No.3) and Jarrod Berry (No.17) to make their debuts against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium. While Berry already boasts an imposing physique, McCluggage needs to add some muscle to his 77kg, 186cm frame.

The future at the Lions is brighter than at any stage since Beams arrived from Collingwood at the end of 2014 courtesy of the emergence of Harris Andrews and Eric Hipwood and the arrival of McCluggage and Berry. However, Beams says there is no substitute for experience.

“It takes time to put games and experience into players,’’ he said. “We have some really good kids who are going to be great players for this club. “Hopefully they can learn the right things, they will help create the culture we want around the footy club. They are the future. “It’s where if we as leaders can help fast track that, it gives us a greater chance of having success sooner.””

Best mates to debut side-by-side
BEST mates, junior teammates and Brisbane young guns Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry are set to make their AFL debuts together on Sunday when the Lions take on St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

Midfielders McCluggage and Berry were named in the preliminary 25-man squad after being taken by Brisbane with the club’s first two draft picks last year — No. 3 and No. 17 — when they starred for the North Ballarat under 18 TAC Cup side. They both suffered injuries in the pre-season but bounced back with impressive performances in the NEAFL last weekend to earn a call-up to the seniors.

Berry’s size — 192cm and 84kg — and endurance means he fits the dimensions for a modern-day midfielder after spending a lot of his junior career in key positions while his maturity has had him earmarked as a future leader.

Brisbane fielded one of the youngest sides in the competition in Round 2 and the average age will plummet further with the selection of McCluggage, Berry and second-year forward Schache ensuring the future has arrived at the Gabba.

Brisbane draftee Jarrod Berry set to sign with Lions until end of 2020

BRISBANE are set to lock away draftee Jarrod Berry until the end of 2020.

Berry has impressed in his four games for the Lions and has been offered a two-year contract extension beyond his standard two-year draftee deal.

His manager Matt Bain said Berry, from North Ballarat, had settled in well at Brisbane and wanted to extend his contract.

Both parties expect the deal to be done within days.

“We’re close, he’s happy there and is pretty keen to get it done,’’ Bain said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great little anecdote about his leadership skills. Sounds like a ripping bloke

Outstanding. Worth pasting.

It was the Lions’ clash with Sydney, the first match the club had played after the passing of Tommy Hanley, the brother Cian and former Lion Pearce.

Lions officials say Berry thought the atmosphere among the team was too light-hearted.

Demonstrating maturity and leadership beyond his years, he called the group together and said black arm bands meant nothing if they weren’t supported by actions.

He has seen a lot of heartache in his own life , obviously has made him grow up quickly.
A little bit of trivia ,his aunt is Shane Hamiltons sister .
Former Bear who played under Robert Walls in the early 90s.

Very promising to have someone like him jumping on early. He is such an impressive young bloke, and already showing maturity and leadership and others will follow. I dont think you could underestimate the influence of someone like him could have on young players wanting to stay and follow.

I wonder if we see him as an inside mid long term. Similar to Josh Kennedy or Jobe Watson.

I really hope so. That tall, physical, bullocking type is exactly what our midfield needs.

I really hope so. That tall, physical, bullocking type is exactly what our midfield needs.

I think probable the main hurdle would be developing the quick hands that slower midfielders like Kennedy, Priddis, Pendelbury, Selwood, etc. have. We haven't really seen him show that he has the pace the escape from packs yet but dishing quick handballs will help us get it to the outside.

Fantastic news. Lets hope this bodes well for McCluggage also resigning

Definitely doesn't hurt.

Also noticed that Berry and Cox have the same manager which also bodes well.

From the outside looking in, Berry is the sort of "heart and soul" player that every club needs. You can't help but get the impression that his influence around the group will extend far beyond his actions on the field in a way that's hard to measure but inevitably becomes that fabled "fabric" we often hear about. On the field he's had some hard games so far but I've not noticed his head down once nor have I seen him stop contesting.

He just seems to possess character. And in a club that values loyalty as much as we have learned to, it's odds on he's got a bright future here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back