Senior Jarrod Berry (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I wrong in thinking that Taranto wanted to stay at GWS but his offer from them was low - thought I heard or read something in the past month to that affect.
Pretty much. I think GWS's offer was about $100k less than per year than Richmond's. Some would take the discount, others won't. I don't think GWS is too cut up given it looks like they're finally pulling the bandaid off their surfeit of inside midfielders with questionable disposal.

'Selfless' Lion leads the way for teammates' sacrifice

BRISBANE midfielder Jarrod Berry has lauded the influence of off-season recruit Josh Dunkley, saying the former Bulldog's selfless attitude has rubbed off on his new teammates.

Dunkley had 33 disposals and 13 tackles in a best-on-ground performance against Carlton on Friday night, putting the clamps on Brownlow medallist Patrick Cripps in their head-to-head match-up.

Speaking on Tuesday morning, Berry said it was an example of Dunkley sacrificing his own game for the greater good of the team – an ethos that has been collectively embraced by the 6-2 Lions.

"The buy-in this year is another level and I reckon that's been led by our new recruit, Dunks," Berry said.

"He's just putting his hand up to do anything for the team. It's awesome to have a guy like that, be led by a guy like that.

"He got the reward on the weekend and next week it might be someone else. People are ready to stand up and do those jobs."

Berry himself has executed midfield tagging jobs in the past but, with the arrival of Dunkley and Will Ashcroft, has been almost permanently stationed on the wing this year.

Now in his seventh season, the 25-year-old said he was more concerned with winning games than racking up big numbers.

"That road to success, people realise you need to have role players in sides, and everyone can't be kicking goals and having disposals to be a good, functional team.

"We've been learning these lessons since I've been here.

"This year is just the cherry on top where you've got your best players willing to give themselves to the side.

"It might not get any media recognition, but that's not what drives me.

"I play for the 22 guys out there and the 48 guys in the club and that's enough for me."

Deven's Famous Torn Guernsey Going To Auction For Special Cause

Brisbane's rugged wingman will run a marathon on November 11 back into his hometown of Horsham alongside brothers Tom and Joel and their two best mates to bring awareness to the cause.

Speaking on Tuesday morning, Berry said Robertson's gesture meant a lot to him.

"He asked if we'd auction it off and donate the money, so it's pretty special by Dev," he said.

"It's 10 years since mum passed.

"It's not so much about the money this year, it's more about her legacy she left with us three boys and our two best mates … we want to bring the community together and celebrate some of the life lessons she taught us.

"Running a marathon personifies a few of those; resilience, hard work, grit, that's why we're doing it."

Berry said BCNA was a huge support during his mother's chemotherapy and battle with the disease.

In 2018, he shaved his head to raise $60,000 for the organisation.

"She had a seven- or eight-year battle that started with breast cancer and spread through her body," he said.

"Never once was there a complaint made. It was always, 'Get on with the job and take a positive out of a negative situation'.

"We want to put ourselves in that scenario and show why we learned those lessons off mum.

"Mum text me from the hospital bed and said: 'Get up and do something, don't waste your talent'.

"That's where I learned to work hard and hopefully people can see that when I'm on the field."

Berry refers to finals lessons as Lions mount charge

Jarrod Berry has compiled a long list of lessons learnt across four shortlived AFL finals campaigns, but there is one that stands out for the Brisbane wing.

"The main thing I've learned is you've got to win finals more than once," he said.

"Teams always come back."

The Lions will enter a fifth-straight post-season seeking their first grand final appearance under Chris Fagan, believing it's their best chance of winning a flag.

Pipping Port Adelaide on percentage for second, they will host the Power at the Gabba next Saturday night.

"They're the first stepping stone in what we want to achieve," he said.

"They shocked us in round one and really took it to us; we'll be preparing for a bit of a war."

Brisbane finished sixth last year but bucked a poor finals record to beat Richmond and Melbourne before losing to eventual premiers Geelong in the preliminary final.

Berry starred in their tough MCG defeat of the Demons, collecting 22 of his 26 disposals in the second half when he was moved to tag star midfielder Clayton Oliver.

Port's midfield is similarly stacked but Berry hinted he wasn't likely to reprise a role he hasn't played since that night.

"I always had the confidence to be able to do it but my role for the team is a different role, not necessarily doing that week in, week out," he said.

"It's awesome to give the coaching staff that lever to pull if we need to at some point.

"The game changes quarter by quarter, moment by moment (but) I haven't done too much of that sort of role this year, we've sort of backed our guys in the midfield to do the job."

Brisbane have finished in the top four all but once in the previous four seasons, but have a 3-6 finals record to show for it.

"Four finals series in a row; we've learnt plenty from those great Richmond teams, even the Geelong team that won it last year," Berry said.

"Finals is about moments and if you can win more of those it holds you in good stead."

And he hopes those moments are seized more efficiently than last Saturday, when Brisbane kicked 9.18 to sneak past St Kilda by just 12 points and complete an unbeaten regular season at the Gabba.

BRISBANE'S FINALS CAMPAIGNS UNDER CHRIS FAGAN

2019: Finished regular season in second; lost to Richmond and GWS.

2020: Second; beat Richmond, lost to Geelong.

2021: Fourth; lost to Melbourne and Western Bulldogs.

2022: Sixth; beat Richmond and Melbourne, lost to Geelong.

Bit old, but still relevant.

Brisbane Lions Announce Updated Leadership Group

The Brisbane Lions have also selected a nine-person leadership group for the 2024 season.

Rounding out the group is Charlie Cameron, Cam Rayner, Brandon Starcevich, Jarrod Berry and Oscar McInerney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back