Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon his a good fit for us the Tigers talent is there bit of fine tuning so his best position in defence not as a mobile tall or forward.What a the Eagles asking for a trade ?.

Would the Pies be interested in Brander - seems like he's close to the age profile they're looking for. Would he be a good backup for Mihocek/Howe (3rd Forward or intercepting back)

I reckon his a good fit for us the Tigers talent is there bit of fine tuning so his best position in defence not as a mobile tall or forward.What a the Eagles asking for a trade ?.
We're selling low here, probably a third rounder maybe even lower based on contract status.

Should work out pretty well for us.
Should be able to hold him on a cheap rate. Gives another couple years to see if he'll amount to anything.
Or does he just get delisted?

He might if he doesn't want to be paid peanuts?

But we'll offer him something that's for certain. We won't have to pay him much, and we've got plenty of worse list cloggers than that.
He's not without some potential still. We've messed around with his position so he's been unable to get settled anywhere.

So I I would much rather we hold him for another ~2years to give that bit of extra time to make a fully informed decision on him.
Trading him now for chips seems like a waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd argue that the bizarre comments coming out of West Coast which were seemingly pushing down his value before trade week were because we actually are keen to keep him.

If there is a player that hasn't been given a decent run in our team then it's Brander imo. So there is no way the shltty pick we would get for him is worth missing out on having a last look at him and what he may be able to bring to our team.

And unlike other first round picks who have trended downwards from their potential, this year was actually Brander's best year for us and he only left the best 22 after he got injured.
He also managed to get into the best 22 playing on the wing which is not likely his preferred position moving forward.

The lad has talent, just doesn't have a role at WC

Think he'd be good as a roaming hard running half forward - a bit like Tom Lynch (Ade)

Can't imagine we'd get anything for him - maybe a future 3rd for a future 4th type deal

If we didn't have the talls we have - i'd want to keep him.

Who are the better options for the pre-season draft? Could that be North’s Brander strategy? Rawlings was bullish about him when he worked at the Eagles.

But if North want him, why does his manager go on trade radio asking for WC "to do the right thing" and let him walk as a DFA?

Makes no sense, North can get him for free if he's a DFA or not if they want him.

I wouldn't because unless he has magical undicovered goal kicking ability, there's just no spot for him on our list. We have about 6 blokes better suited to his tall defender role.

More as a potential to replace Gunston if he is traded or can't return due to his back concerns.

In saying that, Jeka could be the guy. Or even Fergus Greene out of Box Hill. I'm just bullish on Branders athletic ability and potential to eventually put it all together. As a result I wouldn't mind taking the gamble on him.

Who are the better options for the pre-season draft? Could that be North’s Brander strategy? Rawlings was bullish about him when he worked at the Eagles.
None really atm and I have warmed to him if we can develop him into a proper KPP, rather than a winger.

More as a potential to replace Gunston if he is traded or can't return due to his back concerns.

In saying that, Jeka could be the guy. Or even Fergus Greene out of Box Hill. I'm just bullish on Branders athletic ability and potential to eventually put it all together. As a result I wouldn't mind taking the gamble on him.

We have Jeka and Callow who might get tried in that role assuming Gunston goes today (looks unlikely).

We also have the option of swinging any of Sicily, Scrimshaw or DGB up forward as tall options (we'd probably prefer not to).

Hardwick is also great in the backline but was a forward as a junior and regularly kicked bags, if someone like Breust or Wingard left, he could be another option to shift forward.

Impey another, played back but could go forward, neither he or Hardwick would play the Gunston role though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back