Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Any word on what gws are doing with their other out of contract players sproule and stein
Well those two are contracted as far as I know
When the Phil Davis announcement was made, or the day before, there was a comment from GWS that Stein & Sproule would each be given another year. I have not seen an official announcement since then, so either they haven't bothered because they're minor players, or they haven't physically signed yet. They may have been waiting for something, such as Brander's signature, to determine how much $ was left in the kitty to pay them.

I suspect as defender which i think is an excellent pick up for a 3rd tall intercepting role. I know they have Haynes but he has shown he can play much smaller or even play 2nd tall fiddle

Davis on tired legs, Buckleys injury?, Corr never really replaced it makes sense

I suspect as defender which i think is an excellent pick up for a 3rd tall intercepting role. I know they have Haynes but he has shown he can play much smaller or even play 2nd tall fiddle

Davis on tired legs, Buckleys injury?, Corr never really replaced it makes sense

They have Taylor, Stein and Idun down back.

Surely Davis retires? He's been cooked for 18 months already.

I think they might try Brander fwd.

In defence he could do for them what Tomlinson did a few years back. He also could go into the wing. Brander hardly got a look in as an attacking wingmen and did look good in those brief moments. So as a rotation he should be fine.

They have Taylor, Stein and Idun down back.

Surely Davis retires? He's been cooked for 18 months already.

I think they might try Brander fwd.
Steins not much chop

They have Davis and Haynes but Haynes can play real small or 2nd tall

I think hes depth they need at both ends

Himmelberg, Hogan, Sproule, Flynn, Riccardi as fwds and Briggs if Flynn rucks

Id love to see him given a go as the 3rd tall interceptor next to Taylor, Haynes and Idun.

I am slightly intrigued to see how he goes as a forward, could be handy as a lead up player but not sure what his tricks are to make him really valuable there. Still think he'll end up as an ok role player down back.

For the Giants having lost Finlayson, Hogan being injury prone, missing Toby for 5 weeks, the ruck situation being a bit unsolved as well as the injuries to key defenders I can see why they took a chance.

Brander's actually that rare level of player where I think almost every club would've been happy to give him a 1 year deal and a trial but clearly no club had any real interest in offering him security and a designated role.

I am slightly intrigued to see how he goes as a forward, could be handy as a lead up player but not sure what his tricks are to make him really valuable there. Still think he'll end up as an ok role player down back.

For the Giants having lost Finlayson, Hogan being injury prone, missing Toby for 5 weeks, the ruck situation being a bit unsolved as well as the injuries to key defenders I can see why they took a chance.

Brander's actually that rare level of player where I think almost every club would've been happy to give him a 1 year deal and a trial but clearly no club had any real interest in offering him security and a designated role.
His accuracy has been disappointing but his strength was overhead marking and he good agility, speed and endurance to make a decent third tall. His skill set could be very Jack Darling like if can put some size on Imo. Jack relies on his speed/endurance to beat taller opponents and then his height/size to beat smaller players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realise he was from Sydney.
Was Giants academy till he was drafted.
Hey some Victorians claim Hopper so…
Not from Sydney, he's from Wentworth on the NSW/Victorian border. Originally they had a home in NSW, hence why he was Giants academy. There was then some discussion around the family buying a home on the Victorian side (Mildura), but his draft year was the year that the AFL pulled the plug from the Riverina areas of the academy at the last minute. He and Charlie Spargo were the guys we might have chosen had they been available.

So he's coming ''home'' to the Giants, and the state, but not the city.

Not from Sydney, he's from Wentworth on the NSW/Victorian border. Originally they had a home in NSW, hence why he was Giants academy. There was then some discussion around the family buying a home on the Victorian side (Mildura), but his draft year was the year that the AFL pulled the plug from the Riverina areas of the academy at the last minute. He and Charlie Spargo were the guys we might have chosen had they been available.

So he's coming ''home'' to the Giants, and the state, but not the city.

We still could have selected Spargo. We rated Binga higher & took him instead.

We just didn’t have priority access to him because the VFL meeja kept talking (whinging) at the behest of VFL Presidents (read: McChins)

This was a year after Harrison Macreadie was touted as a Number 1 pick, and Spargo himself, touted as a number 1 pick with Brander the best tall prospect.

AFL fell to their knees like a 19 year old girl when the US Navy rolls in to town and took that region away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back