Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Waterman has showed more up forward than Brander, so I'd be relying on him and Allen as the key pairing. Brander is disposable and Eagles should look to address their lack of midfield depth outside the stars. A young promising mid would be a good return if they shopped around Brander.
It's possible but Waterman could also play as a tall wing/HFF/utility. He's a good runner and is handy dropping back in defence. A bit like Andrew Embley, who was the same height. Or even Tom Lynch at the Crows. Waterman isn't limited to playing as a key forward.

They're stuck playing Ainsworth thanks to Yeo being out, and he is clearly not going to make it as a player.
I think most Eagles fans probably have higher hopes for Xavier O'Neill.

Edited my post slightly to address most of this, I think.

If there are definitive upgrades on the guys you mention, then I think we should look at it.

Thanks.

On your narkle question ive seen him play and he has miles more talent than guys like ah chee and ainsworth. His two issues are our midfield is stacked and he isnt great defensively which is a huge no no in our system..but iron that out and he could be anything. Doesnt have huge trade value though i admit.

Personally id consider 16 for brander and 30 but thats largely as i dont rate the top end of this draft..id be surprised if wells was putting a first rounder on the table for brander.

It's possible but Waterman could also play as a tall wing/HFF/utility. He's a good runner and is handy dropping back in defence. A bit like Andrew Embley, who was the same height. Or even Tom Lynch at the Crows. Waterman isn't limited to playing as a key forward.

I think most Eagles fans probably have higher hopes for Xavier O'Neill.
Honestly I think both O'Neills have more promise than Ainsworth. As someone else raised on this thread, trying to poach Anderson seems a good move at improving depth in the right areas. I just struggle to see both Waterman and Brander thriving in the same side

Thanks.

On your narkle question ive seen him play and he has miles more talent than guys like ah chee and ainsworth. His two issues are our midfield is stacked and he isnt great defensively which is a huge no no in our system..but iron that out and he could be anything. Doesnt have huge trade value though i admit.
I'm not sure Narkle is the definitive upgrade that would justify trading Brander. We could probably get him for a pick in the 40s if he wants out.

We wouldn't trade brander as part of the Kelly deal why would we give him up for a pick upgrade and a player worth a future 3rd at best ?
Probably because his junior firm was great but his exposed form in the seniors is a bit sh*t. Changes the conversation a bit.

Yeah no chance we would trade Clark for him unless you sent a high pick with brander (which you dont have). Theres a fair few players we would look at trading for him though.

So Clark a AA u18 half back / winger at pick 15, showed a bit in year 1 but nothing in year two due to injury and better players keeping him out. Needs time to really develop.

Brander, AA u18 chb pick 13. KP back or forward. Third year stuck behind some very good premiership talls and Oscar Allen, hip injury derailed his chances mid season. Shown glimspes but to date cant force his way into a premiership side.

Gee, they sound very similar dont they?

But the Eagles would need to add another 1st plus Brander to get him?

Now then it would be the. Eagles turn to laugh and say GAGF! And they would be spot on too.

Both clubs rate these kids very highly internally. BF posters only rate their own.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Narkle is the definitive upgrade that would justify trading Brander. We could probably get him for a pick in the 40s if he wants out.

Thats true...he was one of a number of players id consider in such a trade, not the only one.

So Clark a AA u18 half back / winger at pick 15, showed a bit in year 1 but nothing in year two due to injury and better players keeping him out. Needs time to really develop.

Brander, AA u18 chb pick 13. KP back or forward. Third year stuck behind some very good premiership talls and Oscar Allen, hip injury derailed his chances mid season. Shown glimspes but to date cant force his way into a premiership side.

Gee, they sound very similar dont they?

But the Eagles would need to add another 1st plus Brander to get him?

Now then it would be the. Eagles turn to laugh and say GAGF! And they would be spot on too.

Both clubs rate these kids ivery highly nternally. BF posters only rate their own.

I think its more about how much geelongs list needs a player like clark..i wasnt criticising brander.

I agree you could get Narkle either way.

Look wce are in a tough spot as there's no obvious route for brander into the side and he is OOC next year so you probably get less for him then. To me they need to commit to putting him in the best 22 next year or if not trade him now while his value is higher than next year and see if they can get something for him that will improve their list.
TBH without injuries we are pretty set for next year in the best 22.

We don't really have any young mids knocking the door down but a couple who may make it at afl level .

Do we trade a young tall in brander for a young mid who would probably struggle to get into the 22 ?

Same problem really .

I don't really care about branders value , he is worth more to us than what other clubs would offer .

If he decides to leave next year when he is out of contract so be it .

I think its more about how much geelongs list needs a player like clark..i wasnt criticising brander.

That cool.

I just compared the two players and I feel most independant people would agree they are both tracking in a very similar fashion.

Only the very best kids explode and make immediate impact, and those tend to be mids and flankers not KP 19 year olds.

So to say Clark is worth Brander PLUS another high pick (1st rounder) I feel is a fair old stretch no matter how much Geelong needs speed.

Generally quality KP kids are valued higher than a similar quality flanker / mid. Clark isnt at a Judd or a Hodge level by any measure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH without injuries we are pretty set for next year in the best 22.
I hope the club doesn't think that. From that side in the EF, we get Yeo back. But I have real doubts about Nelson, Ah Chee, Petruccelle and Ainsworth. And our depth outside the team takes a hit given Schofield is finished with maybe Jetta and Hutchings to follow him out the door.

We need to improve at the bottom end of our best 20-25.

That cool.

I just compared the two players and I feel most independant people would agree they are both tracking in a very similar fashion.

Only the very best kids explode and make immediate impact, and those tend to be mids and flankers not KP 19 year olds.

So to say Clark is worth Brander PLUS another high pick (1st rounder) I feel is a fair old stretch no matter how much Geelong needs speed.

Generally quality KP kids are valued higher than a similar quality flanker / mid. Clark isnt at a Judd or a Hodge level by any measure.

All fair ... as he is contracted ..why would you trade him? Does keeping Kennedy for a bit longer affect the time frame for introducing him into you side? Or has he been past by other players like Allen and Rotham ?

All fair ... as he is contracted ..why would you trade him? Does keeping Kennedy for a bit longer affect the time frame for introducing him into you side? Or has he been past by other players like Allen and Rotham ?

And there lay the problem. It isnt a bad problem to have though.

But sometimes all a player needs is an opportunity to string some games together in a role they are confident in playing.

Just look at Riccardi at GWS.

And there lay the problem. It isnt a bad problem to have though.

But sometimes all a player needs is an opportunity to string some games together in a role they are confident in playing.

Just look at Riccardi at GWS.

Its the quandary of strong sides and good recruitment ... what would you say his best shot is KPF or KPD. The highlights i have seen he is not really a high fly type more lead and mark ..?

Its the quandary of strong sides and good recruitment ... what would you say his best shot is KPF or KPD. The highlights i have seen he is not really a high fly type more lead and mark ..?

In u18 level he wqs moved around but played in AA form as a CHB.

But on the lead he is quick and can turn around a heavier defender and run off them, good at ground level(more so when dry)

He has always been seen as a swing man so its hard to say.

Right now the Eagles are using him on a wing......

In u18 level he wqs moved around but played in AA form as a CHB.

But on the lead he is quick and can turn around a heavier defender and run off them, good at ground level(more so when dry)

He has always been seen as a swing man so its hard to say.

Right now the Eagles are using him on a wing......

so no high marks or spring ?

If next year is make or break, I'd like to see him played in defence full-time. Maybe as a genuine FB or CHB, allowing McGovern licence to just go for the ball. Not sure where that leaves Rotham, though, who also looks handy as a third tall.

so no high marks or spring ?
His most natural position is lead up CHF . Good set of hands and bloody quick . Think he came 3rd in the GF sprint .
He has a bit of a reputation for not liking the hard stuff but I have never seen him squib just more he likes to get out and lead for the ball in space rather than crash a pack .

I think we will train him in defence because he will get more chance there .

I said it before but if GWS lose Cameron they will come knocking for brander who they highly rated as part of their academy but lost him due to zone changes .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back