Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton according to reports are showing interest. Eagles supporters where do you think he settles as his besr role?

Reckon he's a bust. Athletically gifted at junior level but because it evens out at AFL level where his athletic ability comes back to being "above average" instead of outright standout, he ends up coming back to the pack. Jack Watts same boat for me..

Reckon his best spot would be to learn to play as a 3rd tall forward - he doesn't have the physicality of Oscar Allen to take the number 1 spot, and Darling/Waterman are better 2nd types.

Start of this year I thought geez, Tom McDonald type level is his ceiling but it's come back quite a lot. 25-30 goal a year forward would be a win situation for whichever club takes him.

Yes and no. I’d say Watermans tank is as good if not better than Brander.

Gaff maybe weak when it comes to tackling and etc but has solid build for a wingmen.

Gaff also has had 10 pre seasons at AFL level to develop the solid build. He was skinny and pretty easily pushed aside in his first couple of years too.

Langdon, Amon, same boat. They might not be big guys but they have AFL standard strength to go with their endurance and speed now. Only developed that a few pre seasons in.

I would wager that if Brander goes to a club with an elite strength and conditioning team, he will do well.

One of the things that is plain as day is that the guy needs to be anywhere from 5-10 kilos heavier. Most likely the later figure.

West Coast for whatever reason continues to be intent on churning out guys looking like marathon runners, as opposed to beasts. Because the only thing that matters to us are 2km time trial results. Apparently 🙄

Brander for a man of his size is already highly mobile; only West Coast would take a highly mobile tall and try and make him more mobile, as opposed to bigger and stronger.

He should be bullying and bulldozing people around contests, rather then being made to be more nimble.

Can definitely see him doing well in the right system. But he has to get bigger and stronger.

I think it's very obvious his body isn't anywhere near where it needs to be, looks very light for a big lad - although he does have those weird, sloping shoulders which can make him appear smaller. Whether those things are genetic or otherwise, not sure. West Coast may very well have looked at him and their list and decided he wasn't going to be a main KP at either end anytime soon (especially with Oscar) and adapted him to the Richo winger mould in hope?

TBH I don't think he will ever be a good forward. He doesn't take contact well and is a bad set shot on goal.

As i've said before think 1-2 years of further development and you end up with a Liam Jones at his peak. That's what he is. Either that or with some more confidence you end up with an Andrew Mackie lite third tall.

Haven't seen enough of him as a forward but if Carlton were to look at him, it wouldn't be as a forward. We are screaming out for a Liam Jones (highly underrated) replacement in development and Brander is one I thought could be an interesting acquisition, interesting to hear a WC fan say this too.

Unless I've missed them, haven't seen many firm opinions on what his firm worth is. Obviously there are some funny buggers going on behind the scenes with his management and the Eagles, but would a SPS straight swap seem in the right area? I'd be very open to that as a fan and could potentially work out well for both clubs.

Bendigo Pioneer, pass.

Ollie Wines goes ok, as do dozens of others past and present. Assume this is firmly tongue in cheek :moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012 Wines was drafted.

Hasn't produced a top line player since.

Jake Stringer went in the same top 10 as Wines. Clayton Oliver played his bottom age there, Tom Cole is a fine player and Brodie Kemp, Jye Caldwell and Paddy Dow all have promise to become good players.

Of course Dustin Martin, all the Selwoods, Nick Dal Santo, Chris and Robbie Tarrant are all former Pioneers, among heaps of other guns. Maybe they should set up an elite private school in Bendigo and take all the best players from around the state and the Riverina so they can be like the 'footy factories' at Geelong and in Melbourne.

Such a s**t comment.

Jake Stringer went in the same top 10 as Wines. Clayton Oliver played his bottom age there, Tom Cole is a fine player and Brodie Kemp, Jye Caldwell and Paddy Dow all have promise to become good players.

Of course Dustin Martin, all the Selwoods, Nick Dal Santo, Chris and Robbie Tarrant are all former Pioneers. Maybe they should set up an elite private school in Bendigo and take all the best players from around the state and the Riverina so they can be like the 'footy factories' at Geelong and in Melbourne.

Such a sh*t comment.

You just pointed out how little talent has come from there since 2012 by naming a bunch of middling players.

Why would you have an issue over someone not rating an NAB league clubs program?

We recruited 2 players out of the wooden spoon team in 2017 that haven't worked out yet and we want to add a third?

You just pointed out how little talent has come from there since 2012 by naming a bunch of middling players.

Why would you have an issue over someone not rating an NAB league clubs program?

We recruited 2 players out of the wooden spoon team in 2017 that haven't worked out yet and we want to add a third?

Because it's a poorly made point without much thought put into it.

Who was the last 'top liner' to come out of the Northern Knights? What about Subiaco? Should we not recruit anyone from them too and just focus on a handful of zones?

The past does not dictate the future when it comes to drafted players, that is obvious to everyone except perhaps yourself. It would be one of the all time stupid decisions to rule out recruiting players from certain areas because "Not many All Australians have come from that area recently" on that basis alone. Literally makes no sense.

Because it's a poorly made point without much thought put into it.

Who was the last 'top liner' to come out of the Northern Knights? What about Subiaco? Should we not recruit anyone from them too and just focus on a handful of zones?

The past does not dictate the future when it comes to drafted players, that is obvious to everyone except perhaps yourself. It would be one of the all time stupid decisions to rule out recruiting players from certain areas because "Not many All Australians have come from that area recently" on that basis alone. Literally makes no sense.

Plenty of insight and thought put into it actually. The year we took Dow and LOB one of my best friends sons was at the Falcons so they got to see them up close for a few years (multiple siblings played) and Bendigo were a bog average team.

Why would we want to add more players from the worst team in the comp from that season?

Reckon he's a bust. Athletically gifted at junior level but because it evens out at AFL level where his athletic ability comes back to being "above average" instead of outright standout, he ends up coming back to the pack. Jack Watts same boat for me..

Reckon his best spot would be to learn to play as a 3rd tall forward - he doesn't have the physicality of Oscar Allen to take the number 1 spot, and Darling/Waterman are better 2nd types.

Start of this year I thought geez, Tom McDonald type level is his ceiling but it's come back quite a lot. 25-30 goal a year forward would be a win situation for whichever club takes him.
Oscar Allen doesn't have the physicality either.

If Oscar Allen is WCE's #1 KPF they are in trouble.

Tmac ceiling isn't bad at all. Would've been a 60 goal season in 2018 had he not been injured. Tmac's ceiling is borderline AA CHF.

If Oscar Allen is WCE's #1 KPF they are in trouble.

Tmac ceiling isn't bad at all. Would've been a 60 goal season in 2018 had he not been injured. Tmac's ceiling is borderline AA CHF.

Doesn't have the physicality........ Is a 22 year old KPF at 194cm and played half the year in the ruck with a broken elbow. Production dropped hugely after that point but was still able to hold a spot in the team. Physicality is certainly never going to be his issue.

Doesn't have the physicality........ Is a 22 year old KPF at 194cm and played half the year in the ruck with a broken elbow. Production dropped hugely after that point but was still able to hold a spot in the team. Physicality is certainly never going to be his issue.
got a decent frame for a 22 year old forward and should fill out nicely. His reach and leap allows him to play a few cm's taller than he is

Plenty of insight and thought put into it actually. The year we took Dow and LOB one of my best friends sons was at the Falcons so they got to see them up close for a few years (multiple siblings played) and Bendigo were a bog average team.

Why would we want to add more players from the worst team in the comp from that season?

Dow, LOB and Brander all went to Geelong Grammar, so they would have only played for the Pioneers during school holidays.

If Oscar Allen is WCE's #1 KPF they are in trouble

The wimp must just save his imposing physical marking for games against Collingwood.

download-5.jpg

download-4.jpg

download-2.jpg

download-3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back