Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

"RIVAL clubs are monitoring contracted West Coast youngster Jarrod Brander as a player of interest this Trade Period as the Eagles gear up for another premiership assault in 2021."

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hard one to get a read on. West coast are stacked with marking forwards. Looks lost on the wing

They should either trade him or maybe turn him into a key defender.

I'd be keen on Narkle and a 2nd for brander and a 3rd-makes sense as both players have ties to the area and both suit the other club's list needs better than their current club and both players would likely get more opportunity at the new club. I think WCE might still want more for Brander though and I wouldn't give up a R1.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd be keen on Narkle and a 2nd for brander and a 3rd-makes sense as both players have ties to the area and both suit the other club's list needs better than their current club and both players would likely get more opportunity at the new club. I think WCE might still want more for Brander though and I wouldn't give up a R1.
We wouldn't trade brander as part of the Kelly deal why would we give him up for a pick upgrade and a player worth a future 3rd at best ?

We wouldn't trade brander as part of the Kelly deal why would we give him up for a pick upgrade and a player worth a future 3rd at best ?

That's a valid question but I think brander doesn't have the same value as 12 months ago. I also think he's largely a backup player for you for a while so if you can trade him for someone who can potentially improve your best 22 now that's something you should look at.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
That's a valid question but I think brander doesn't have the same value as 12 months ago. I also think he's largely a backup player for you for a while so if you can trade him for someone who can potentially improve your best 22 now that's something you should look at.
We could get narkle without trading brander .
It is a big discussion point on our board that brander was played as a tall flanker/winger because we wanted to get games into him but to the detriment of developing him as a KPP which is his preferred role.

I want to keep brander as he is required post Kennedy but he needs to earn a spot not just given it

It is a big discussion point on our board that brander was played as a tall flanker/winger because we wanted to get games into him but to the detriment of developing him as a KPP which is his preferred role.

I want to keep brander as he is required post Kennedy but he needs to earn a spot not just given it

I agree you could get Narkle either way.

Look wce are in a tough spot as there's no obvious route for brander into the side and he is OOC next year so you probably get less for him then. To me they need to commit to putting him in the best 22 next year or if not trade him now while his value is higher than next year and see if they can get something for him that will improve their list.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard one to get a read on. West coast are stacked with marking forwards. Looks lost on the wing

They should either trade him or maybe turn him into a key defender.
We have Barrass and McGovern. Even with Schofield retiring, Rotham has played well as a third tall, which would probably be his best shot at nailing down a spot at this stage.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Are we assuming Brander can play at FF?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
1602295905931.png

By the end of 2021, Kennedy will probably be done, and Darling will have already seen his prime years (ages 25-29, 2017-2021), while Brander and Oscar Allen will still have what should be their prime years well ahead of them (2024-2028). I'd commit to both long-term as the Eagles' tall forward combo of the future.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

I don't think brander is required. Darlings, Allen are plenty good enough. Waterman is excellent overhead as well. I don't think he has the talent to push any of those players out in the foreseable future.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think brander is required. Darlings, Allen are plenty good enough. Waterman is excellent overhead as well. I don't think he has the talent to push any of those players out in the foreseable future.
If you assume a WC side without Kennedy, I think there's an argument for a forwardline with Darling, Allen and Brander with Waterman playing HF/wing. But that won't be until Kennedy retires.

View attachment 981817

By the end of 2021, Kennedy will probably be done, and Darling will have already seen his prime years (ages 25-29, 2017-2021), while Brander and Oscar Allen will still have what should be their prime years well ahead of them (2024-2028). I'd commit to both long-term as the Eagles' tall forward combo of the future.

They might or they might commit to McGovern TB and rotham down back and darling allen waterman and potentially williams forward. Brander has a tougher route to break into that team than at most teams.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

So a fringe mid and the Cats pick 40 after compo picks and bids for a contracted Brander PLUS a 3rd rounder?

There is a reason why Geelong have been keen on him for multiple years and wanted him in the Kelly trade.

If he was out of contract and asked for a trade its a starting point. But no way wouldthey lethim go under contract for that.

So a fringe mid and the Cats pick 40 after compo picks and bids for a contracted Brander PLUS a 3rd rounder?

There is a reason why Geelong have been keen on him for multiple years and wanted him in the Kelly trade.

If he was out of contract and asked for a trade its a starting point. But no way wouldthey lethim go under contract for that.

What do you think you would trade him for?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
What do you think you would trade him for?
I'd want a deal that improves our best 22, even if it means us adding something to get it done.

I'd want a player who is a definitive upgrade on someone who played in the EF i.e. Nelson, Ah Chee, Petrucelle, Ainsworth.

Are we sure Narkle, for example, ticks that box?

Or if we're talking about picks or a pick exchange with Brander involved, we need to be back in the first round. For example, Brander plus pick 30 for pick 15 would value him as equivalent to pick 37. That's still probably not great for WC but the objective of getting back into the first round would be served.

I don't see the point of trading him for less unless he demands to leave.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like a big flanker. He might actually be at his highest value.

Riiiiight. Highest value now!

Anderson plus a 2nd for Brander.

If needed a future 3rd added to Brander.

Rawlings drafted him and knows his worth.

AA u18 quality KP's are worth more than tough inside mids with ok skills.

North could solve one oftheir KP issues for 10 years.

I'd want a deal that improves our best 22, even if it means us adding something to get it done.

I'd want a player who is a definitive upgrade on someone who played in the EF.

Or if we're talking about picks or a pick exchange with Brander involved, we need to be back in the first round.

I don't see the point of trading him for less unless he demands to leave.

The first sentence is a good strategy. How definitive are we talking? For example a lot of teams fringe mids would displace guys like ah chee and ainsworth from your 22..so are you looking at an upgrade like that or a best 12 player? Because im not convinced brander holds that value.

If you think he will want to stay next year you keep him..its more if you think that he will leave then that you look at trading him now.

Geelong? Eagles would want Clark.

Cats would say GAGF.,

Eagles would get more elsewhere.

Yeah no chance we would trade Clark for him unless you sent a high pick with brander (which you dont have). Theres a fair few players we would look at trading for him though.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
The first sentence is a good strategy. How definitive are we talking? For example a lot of teams fringe mids would displace guys like ah chee and ainsworth from your 22..so are you looking at an upgrade like that or a best 12 player? Because im not convinced brander holds that value.

If you think he will want to stay next year you keep him..its more if you think that he will leave then that you look at trading him now.
Edited my post slightly to address most of this, I think.

If there are definitive upgrades on the guys you mention, then I think we should look at it.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 981817

Waterman has showed more up forward than Brander, so I'd be relying on him and Allen as the key pairing. Brander is disposable and Eagles should look to address their lack of midfield depth outside the stars. A young promising mid would be a good return if they shopped around Brander.

They're stuck playing Ainsworth thanks to Yeo being out, and he is clearly not going to make it as a player.

Back