Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Could see us being interested here for the right price, especially as Rawlings was the one that drafted him.

Funnily enough he reminds me a bit of Leigh Brown, who we got in a similar scenario from Fremantle.

Last edited:

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Could see us being interested here for the right price, especially as Rawlings was the one that drafted him.

Funnily enough he reminds me a bit of Leigh Brown, who we got in a similar scenario from Fremantle.
Problem is he is very highly rated at our club . So your right price and our clubs may be a long way apart .

Almost all on our board including myself would be happy for him to stay .

The only reason some posters want him traded is for the draft capital he would provide as we don't have very good picks and we were bundled out earlier than was expected .

They see him as surplus to need atm and are not looking towards the future

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Problem is he is very highly rated at our club . So your right price and our clubs may be a long way apart .

Almost all on our board including myself would be happy for him to stay .

The only reason some posters want him traded is for the draft capital he would provide as we don't have very good picks and we were bundled out earlier that was expected .

They see him as surplus to need atm and are not looking towards the future

Oh course it is, but I'd be interested to know what your idea of draft capital was?

I think he's probably worth something anywhere from 25-35 in terms of picks now.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh course it is, but I'd be interested to know what your idea of draft capital was?

I think he's probably worth something anywhere from 25-35 in terms of picks now.
But we are not talking about worth but what we would accept for a contracted first round tall with 3 years development.

I do understand your point .

I feel if this trade period we let brander go for pick 25 or over there would be outrage .

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
But we are not talking about worth but what we would accept for a contracted first round tall with 3 years development.

I do understand your point .

I feel if this trade period we let brander go for pick 25 or over there would be outrage .

"3 years development" is only relevant if there has actually been 3 years development.

I'm sure he's physically matured which is half the problem with talls of his age, but he probably still has the same amount of question marks on him as any first year tall forward regarding his actual ability at the top level.

Like you said, it's as much about WC recouping some draft collateral as it is Brander moving for better opportunity.

I don't think there would be a huge line for his services unless the trade value was fairly reasonable though.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
"3 years development" is only relevant if there has actually been 3 years development.

I'm sure he's physically matured which is half the problem with talls of his age, but he probably still has the same amount of question marks on him as any first year tall forward regarding his actual ability at the top level.

Like you said, it's as much about WC recouping some draft collateral as it is Brander moving for better opportunity.

I don't think there would be a huge line for his services unless the trade value was fairly reasonable though.
You have missed the point completely.
Brander hasn't asked to leave , the club doesn’t want to trade him and you don't need to recoup anything if we intend to keep Brander.

Atm he is surplus to need as we are flush with talls and some big footy posters see him as capital

I would also back our talls 'development ' over any team in the league .

How about the Eagles keep Brander and play him in his position and see where that takes us. The trade value of Brander right now is likely at the lowest it will ever be. We would get a late 2nd rounder next year in any case.

Let Clark stay at Geelong and if he has another year like 2020 we pick him up for a late 2nd next season. If Clark has another nothing year in 2021 the same as 2020 his value will slide.

People who think Clark's value has increased after showing absolutely nothing in 2020 are dreaming.
Those are ask reasonable possibilities but I think the contract length with Clark gives us an extra year to find out.

By next year Mitch Duncan is 30, Cam Guthrie and Sam Menegola both 29. Getting a preseason and no injury interruptions next year could change the dialogue substantially.

Similarly an injury to a 33 year old Kennedy could also change the dialogue on Brander if a reshuffle puts him in a consistent 3rd tall position but you really only have next year to find out unless he signs on.

I don't think it's the right time to be drawing conclusions on either one in any case

Those are ask reasonable possibilities but I think the contract length with Clark gives us an extra year to find out.

By next year Mitch Duncan is 30, Cam Guthrie and Sam Menegola both 29. Getting a preseason and no injury interruptions next year could change the dialogue substantially.

Similarly an injury to a 33 year old Kennedy could also change the dialogue on Brander if a reshuffle puts him in a consistent 3rd tall position but you really only have next year to find out unless he signs on.

I don't think it's the right time to be drawing conclusions on either one in any case

Re shuffle already started happening this year.

If JK had retired our indicative line up is JD and Oscar at the key posts - with Bailey Williams supporting Nic.

Brander then becomes the backup - albeit he hasn't been playing KP role as ultimately there hasn't been a spot for him so they have tried him on a wing.

I still have hopes for him - and for what we would realistically get (say pick 30) - in this draft - i'd rather the devil we know

Particularly as pick 30 and pick 60 aren't much different given only WA and SA have on display talent.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

You are likely correct.

It will be interesting if the Cats pounce on Phillips from the Pies, they chased him last season.

Also Higgins from North.

Both these guys will compete with Clark for midfield time.

And if you also snare Crouch and Cameron as Fa's that will impact non established players $$$ on future contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are likely correct.

It will be interesting if the Cats pounce on Phillips from the Pies, they chased him last season.

Also Higgins from North.

Both these guys will compete with Clark for midfield time.

And if you also snare Crouch and Cameron as Fa's that will impact non established players $$$ on future contracts.
Yeah I'm a bit confused by the Phillips link. We're not short of outside players

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I'm a bit confused by the Phillips link. We're not short of outside players

My understanding / recollection is Geelong have been chasing outside run and speed for a couple of years now. Hence the Cats interest last season for Phillips and Higgins.

Sounds like Phillips may be me open to a move this season as is Higgins.

It can be a tough gig being a popular destination club. ;) :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The other thing in regards to draft picks this year is the players that are most likely to be picked in the top 30 are those with exposed form which really means if West Coast are targetting a specific west aussie or similar they are likely to be taken earlier this year.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

This Leigh Brown?

1603081693630.png

Are you talking about Brander?

Because I do not see any likeness at all. Brown was a brute of a unit. Brander is lighter, faster and much more skillful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back