CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Watching Jarrod last night, I saw something pretty remarkable. We have a serious player on our hands here, better then I think most people were expecting.

From four games this year, Jarrod has already kicked more goals in a game then either Ryan or Rioli. He's 4th for goals per game in the entire league, not just among first year players. He's ranked elite (according to the StatsPro thing on the AFL website) in both goal accuracy and tackles already. Admittedly, it's off a small sample size, but he's already producing it as someone who is probably half the weight of everyone else on the field.

For a comparison, here is his brother Charlie's debut season (2014) vs his. Off three less games, Jarrod is averaging more tackles, effective disposals, kicks, goals and has quite a significantly better disposal efficiency (75.6% vs 57.3%). It isn't a massive difference (i.e. only one more tackle per game) in all the stats, but it does indicate he's currently producing more as a rookie. I think the biggest thing is that Jarrod is doing this as a 19 year old with no senior WAFL experience, whereas Charlie came into the Crows lineup at 21 with 2 seasons at Swan Districts already under his belt.

I'm really looking forward to see how Jarrod progresses this season.

To everyone who had three posts in the “how long will it take someone to mention Masten” stakes, congratulations, you win.

Cameron’s defensive work rate is impressive, for a teenager who weighs about 12kgs he’s more than willing to throw down a huge tackle. If he can improve his gut running the way Liam Ryan has we could genuinely be onto lock it in best 22 small forward for a decade.

A few weeks ago now I was watching him butcher the footy in the WAFL and miss the easiest set shots you can take, so to see him kicking eight goals in eight kicks and hauling in bags from anywhere in his first few games is a very welcome surprise, but it’s the defence that really could be his differentiator.

Cameron has been amazing. This has come out of nowhere for me, because his WAFL form didn't seem anything special at all. Throw him up into a higher level of competition and now he is thriving. I don't quite get it, but I love it. Massive bonus right when we needed it up forward with Lecca departing. I'm not used to seeing 70kg 19 year olds tackle like this.

Yep and i was calling for him to be played lots even in preseason. And people shot me down as per normal saying hes miles from being ready.
They are mostly Masten & Waterman lovers.

So you think we should have tried to play him 20 games in his first season so when finals arrived he would be bashed from pillar to post and turned into mince meat?

You dont do that. The kid will likely get a rest at some stage but Id rather have him fit come September with maybe 10 games experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent start and he's looking super promising long term. Think people need to hold their horses when they think about what he is going to contribute this year though, just as they should have after petch's 5. At the end of the day, he's still undersized and unfit by AFL standard. I Hope him, Cole and petch have massive pre-seasons and really take it up a notch in 2020.

Excellent start and he's looking super promising long term. Think people need to hold their horses when they think about what he is going to contribute this year though, just as they should have after petch's 5. At the end of the day, he's still undersized and unfit by AFL standard. I Hope him, Cole and petch have massive pre-seasons and really take it up a notch in 2020.

Jarrod is 6 years behind Charlie.

Charlie is peaking at 25.:) :thumbsu:

Seriously, he's built like a twig and he brings down guys who are 80kg+. How does he do it and can he teach it to a few other players?

Tenacity, intent and technique. Pace and agility are also super underrated when it comes to tackling. It’s not all about size that’s why you see ruckman like vards miss a lot of tackles because they just get stepped around and throw an arm out that’s so easy to break.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cameron has been amazing. This has come out of nowhere for me, because his WAFL form didn't seem anything special at all. Throw him up into a higher level of competition and now he is thriving. I don't quite get it, but I love it. Massive bonus right when we needed it up forward with Lecca departing. I'm not used to seeing 70kg 19 year olds tackle like this.

Cameron is one those players who plays well when those around him are playing well. Which is why I thought his game would translate up pretty quickly.

Cameron can go missing for long periods within games. I’m sure that will improve as the years progress. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fall away quickly before turning some time next year. Hope he keeps it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back