Toast Jarrod Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Jarrod last night, I saw something pretty remarkable. We have a serious player on our hands here, better then I think most people were expecting.

From four games this year, Jarrod has already kicked more goals in a game then either Ryan or Rioli. He's 4th for goals per game in the entire league, not just among first year players. He's ranked elite (according to the StatsPro thing on the AFL website) in both goal accuracy and tackles already. Admittedly, it's off a small sample size, but he's already producing it as someone who is probably half the weight of everyone else on the field.

For a comparison, here is his brother Charlie's debut season (2014) vs his. Off three less games, Jarrod is averaging more tackles, effective disposals, kicks, goals and has quite a significantly better disposal efficiency (75.6% vs 57.3%). It isn't a massive difference (i.e. only one more tackle per game) in all the stats, but it does indicate he's currently producing more as a rookie. I think the biggest thing is that Jarrod is doing this as a 19 year old with no senior WAFL experience, whereas Charlie came into the Crows lineup at 21 with 2 seasons at Swan Districts already under his belt.

I'm really looking forward to see how Jarrod progresses this season.
His kicking action is so pure, reminds of Lecca at his zenith. Dream action off the boot, and to have his goal sense as an 18 year old. Early days but he could be something special, exciting.

Last edited:
Seriously, he's built like a twig and he brings down guys who are 80kg+. How does he do it and can he teach it to a few other players?
I'm sound liking a broken record but it's 100% the rugby background. As a kid i've played both rugby and footy(who played rugby as well) with kids who who were tiny and they could tackle and bring down blokes much bigger than themselves. I also remember my footy club back in the day brining in a Western Force player to teach us tackling.

The two bro's even look like rugby players when they tuck the ball in hand and go for a run.

Rugby players can tackle. You have to, otherwise it isn't the game for you. I used to play rugby and would drill every rover and player I was roving against. I was penalised often for "rough tackling": the umps hadn't seen someone get drilled like that from a guy my size (to clarify I never spear tackled or anything I wouldn't really want done against me: that s**t kills and paralyses people). I was also amazed that huge guys couldn't tackle me (I'm stocky with huge legs). I could just break away and keep running. In rugby, I'd regularly get tackled by dudes large and small who understood the mechanics.

Football is a game where you can be a terrible tackler but get away with it. The rugby background is a winner - as far as I'm concerned they should do rugby camps for the WCE to up their tackling game against weight difference situations (to be fair, our side is generally pretty good).

He's also a ******* lovely kick. Every time I think he's gonna pull one, he nails it. He's unreal! So great to watch him!

4 goals, 13 touches 5 marks and 7 tackles you would think he is a chance, might be wearing the wrong colours though.

Defining the small forward role would be pressure and goals. 7 tackles was the second highest for any Eagles player and 4 goals the most of any Eagles player (also equal game high).

My thoughts are he would've been in consideration last week but 5 goals beat 4. To back it up with an even better game should get him over the line.

Can you believe how good our small forwards are all of a sudden after trialling guys like Karpany and Mutimer in the pocket

I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. We’ve gone from Woosha not really valuing quality SF’s having Hams, Neates, Weedon, Broome & Newman to trying to turn guys like Karpany from mids to SF’s and then the Mitch Brown experiment. Now we’ve got 3 great AFL quality SF’s in Cripps, Ryan & Rioli with Cameron and Petch as depth but they’re showing they’re more than capable at the top level already anyway. And there’s been talk of a new NGA lad, Jamarl Daly as a small/medium forward? I might have the position wrong though.

Edit: LeCras, Cripps and Hill wasn’t too bad, though.

I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. We’ve gone from Woosha not really valuing quality SF’s having Hams, Neates, Weedon, Broome & Newman to trying to turn guys like Karpany from mids to SF’s and then the Mitch Brown experiment. Now we’ve got 3 great AFL quality SF’s in Cripps, Ryan & Rioli with Cameron and Petch as depth but they’re showing they’re more than capable at the top level already anyway. And there’s been talk of a new NGA lad, Jamarl Daly as a small/medium forward? I might have the position wrong though.

Cripps was always a mid/HBF who had to learn forward craft though and I reckon Hill was initially a wingman/forward flanker type. Lecca also started life as an outside mid at junior levels iirc.

We haven’t targeted small forwards like this for some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit quick to write off Venables !!

Lecca was the only genuine small forward we had. Cripps is a workhorse and his work shines through when he's surrounded by the mercurial types.

I think by the end of his career most fans won't rate him due to his stats but Eagles fans and players will hold him in high regards.

Shai Bolton got the rising star this week with his 29 possy, 6 mark, 6 tackle and 1 goal performance.

Lecca was the only genuine small forward we had. Cripps is a workhorse and his work shines through when he's surrounded by the mercurial types.

I think by the end of his career most fans won't rate him due to his stats but Eagles fans and players will hold him in high regards.
Was noticeable when he left the field on friday - does a lot of grunt work

In fairness to Woosha the talent pathways are more clearly defined with regards to Indigenous players and non indigenous players..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Must be the same people who think that Buddy Franklin is better for AA Captain than Hurn.
Ridiculous and disgusting...
Not really, that is a very good performance. If JC keeps doing this but he will get an RS nom for sure, could have received one in either of his last 2 games but the other nominees were deserved.

Loving that the kid can nail his set shots, unlike ryan.
When Ryan took that mark 15 out on a slight angle at the start of the derby I leaned over to the Freo fan next to me and said 'he's no guarantee from here, he's the worst set shot I've ever seen'.

Sure enough, flushed the post from 15 out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back