Jarrod Garlett to West Coast in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I spilt my coffee when I read this, hint: GWS, Brisbane, GCS getting priorities is draft tampering. The bottom line is draft WA's indigenous boys all you like but they will want to come home and play for one of the WA teams eventually.
Yep. All those indigenous boys are exactly the same. I remember when we drafted buddy and shotgun Williams that they would definitely go back to wa.

I spilt my coffee when I read this, hint: GWS, Brisbane, GCS getting priorities is draft tampering. The bottom line is draft WA's indigenous boys all you like but they will want to come home and play for one of the WA teams eventually.

Didn't know Marsh, Adams and McCarthy were indigenous boys. You learn something every day.

Exactly, They could have gotten something for him. We Delisted Barlow and they Delisted Garlett to get Barlow so a trade could have been worked out. I don't think he will play next year at all.
I agree. Maybe it had something to do with salaries or list spots etc. ie Freo are aware he is going to have some issues to deal with so have cut a deal with Garlett to be a rookie pick/salary. Maybe we couldn't trade for him as you can't trade for rookie spots. Maybe Freo let Barlow walk based on the deal.

GC will get over it. They basically have every pick in the top 10 in this years draft.

Weird scenario from a rules perspective.

On the one hand I don't like that we could potentially get him as a DFA or via the draft, but on the other if his contract has been terminated then he should be able to explore his options to play elsewhere. I'd be OK with Gold Coast holding him to his contract but I don't think you can have it both ways.

For the sake of comparison, would people be OK with Travis Cloke being a DFA? Contracted player, mutually beneficial to club and player to cancel the contract. Only difference is he gave the Pies a decade or so of service. And his exit was planned for before the trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have Gold Coast freed him from his contract?

The most workable solution would be to let him sit out 2017 and facilitate a trade next off-season. Given the situation, Gold Coast wont be getting much for him.

gee where have we seen this done before

signs a contract extensions, then asks to be traded back to WA, then cracks the shits and walks when it doesnt happen

same WAFL club too

who's his manager?

Christ, do you even know what happened? Clearly something serious as he didn't request a trade during the trade period.

How did these players used to deal with these situations in the previous decade?

and the previous 100 years before that??

seems to be an epidemic of homesick wa players.

Well do you blame them? We finally have Krispy Kreme over here.

No more stocking up at airports or moving interstate to get them.

Reckon the AFL may have had a quiet word with Garlett and told him he couldn't nominate for any drafts this year, but will be treated like any other draftee in 2017. Would have been a really bad look if a guy forced a club to delist him then walked for free to another.

Strange he signed to a wafl club for 2 years. Why not just the 1, see how ya feel and possibly nominate for next years draft. As mentioned above, I don't think it would matter to much south wouldn't stand in his way. Still.... Watch this space

Remove this Banner Ad

Back