News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

So is Pickett in the rehab group? What sort of shape is he in? I saw he was wearing a loose t shirt so hard to see if he has weight to lose but I assumed he does.
Chevy-2.jpg

SOS has used GWS as our recruiting ground for high end talent that either was on the fringe or injured.
Taking injured guys is a real risk especially in Picketts case. Is the risk worth the reward? If the club has done its due diligence and the reports indicate a full recovery, then this kid should be a gun and would have justified the faith the club had showed in him, and we must remember he nominated us.
The unknown could be another Daisy where there were conflicting diagnosis from various medicos and we still took a risk where the reward didn't justify the risk. This time around we have not heard many roumors as the club has become more professional and kept things very quiet.
Hopefully Pickett makes a full recovery and developes well, then the sky's the limit as the upside with this kid is enormous.
Time will tell but at this early stage it is going to be a numbers game as not every draft or trade will pay off, but in Picketts case let's hope it does.
GOOD LUCK JARROD AND GO BLUES.....

That is me these days. My last overseas holiday, I made a video with Holiday Road as the theme.

Now who wants to be Christie Brinkley?

I was watching Duckman recently and it turns out the voice of Charles was by the girl who played Audrey in National Lampoon's European Vacation. Anyway, so sad she passed away in her early 30s due to a stroke.

I was watching Duckman recently and it turns out the voice of Charles was by the girl who played Audrey in National Lampoon's European Vacation. Anyway, so sad she passed away in her early 30s due to a stroke.

You've been on those Cracked.com links again.

Chock full of good stuff.

SOS has used GWS as our recruiting ground for high end talent that either was on the fringe or injured.
Taking injured guys is a real risk especially in Picketts case. Is the risk worth the reward? If the club has done its due diligence and the reports indicate a full recovery, then this kid should be a gun and would have justified the faith the club had showed in him, and we must remember he nominated us.
The unknown could be another Daisy where there were conflicting diagnosis from various medicos and we still took a risk where the reward didn't justify the risk. This time around we have not heard many roumors as the club has become more professional and kept things very quiet.
Hopefully Pickett makes a full recovery and developes well, then the sky's the limit as the upside with this kid is enormous.
Time will tell but at this early stage it is going to be a numbers game as not every draft or trade will pay off, but in Picketts case let's hope it does.
GOOD LUCK JARROD AND GO BLUES.....

The risk here is nothing like in the Dale Thomas scenario. If this doesn't pay off it doesn't hurt us much at all. Hope it does pay off though. Pickett is exciting.

The risk here is nothing like in the Dale Thomas scenario. If this doesn't pay off it doesn't hurt us much at all. Hope it does pay off though. Pickett is exciting.

Yep, totally agree. We invested virtually nothing in Pickett so if it does not work out it is no worse than any of the 2014 later picks for us that did not work out.
Thomas on the other hand cost us a bundle of money and looks really bad in light of same transfer period not paying Eddie Betts what he was worth and letting go for nothing because by taking free agent Thomas it takes out any compensation pick we would have got for Eddie Betts.

There were three players changed clubs in transfer periods with various degrees of risk of them never getting to their best football due to past injuries. O'Meara to Hawks, Pickett to Carlton and Ahern to North.
Carlton and North get a free kick at a guys that may pay off and could well be elite players for their clubs in a few years. O'Meara for Hawks was much bigger risk but as we already seen how good O'Meara can be it was always going to cost a bit for any club taking on that risk. In normal circumstances I doubt clubs would have let Pickett go or Ahern go. Geelong did not let Menzel go as they knew they had an elite player on their hands if he could come back. But GWS was in unique position of knowing for sure in a few years they would have to let some talented youngsters go just to fit under cap. Just been smart of Carlton and North to take advantage and also Saints with Steele to lesser degree. All their 2014 draftees are gone. They spent two years on their list which is minimum for draftees and GWS would have needed to sign some of them on quite a bit bigger contracts to hold onto for longer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, totally agree. We invested virtually nothing in Pickett so if it does not work out it is no worse than any of the 2014 later picks for us that did not work out.
Thomas on the other hand cost us a bundle of money and looks really bad in light of same transfer period not paying Eddie Betts what he was worth and letting go for nothing because by taking free agent Thomas it takes out any compensation pick we would have got for Eddie Betts.

There were three players changed clubs in transfer periods with various degrees of risk of them never getting to their best football due to past injuries. O'Meara to Hawks, Pickett to Carlton and Ahern to North.
Carlton and North get a free kick at a guys that may pay off and could will be elite players for their clubs in a few years. O'Meara for Hawks was much bigger risk but as we already seen how good O'Meara can be it was always going to cost a bit for any club taking on that risk. In normal circumstances I doubt clubs would have let Pickett go or Ahern go. Geelong did not let Menzel go as they knew they had an elite player on their hands if he could come back. But GWS was in unique position of knowing for sure in a few years they would have to let some talented youngsters go just to fit under cap. Just been smart of Carlton and North to take advantage and also Saints with Steele to lesser degree. All their 2014 draftees are gone. They spent two years on their list which is minimum for draftees and GWS would have needed to sign some of them on quite a bit bigger contracts to hold onto for longer.
The bigger picture here is not that we were able to get Pickett and get quite cheaply, it's the fact that one we can't afford to make any more recruiting blunders and two, he is taking up a spot on the primary list in a period whereby we are transitioning for the purpose of building a team to again reclaim the success of yesteryear, and to ensure the club remains a powerhouse for a sustainable period.
So the jury is out for now and time will tell whether we should have used a pick in the draft on a unknown kid or go with Pickett as we are well aware of what he can produce or will his journey be similar to Thomas?
Every spot on the list is so important to team balance and I only wanted to point out how crucial it is to get things right.
Hope Pickett comes on in leaps and bounds.

The bigger picture here is not that we were able to get Pickett and get quite cheaply, it's the fact that one we can't afford to make any more recruiting blunders and two, he is taking up a spot on the primary list in a period whereby we are transitioning for the purpose of building a team to again reclaim the success of yesteryear, and to ensure the club remains a powerhouse for a sustainable period.
So the jury is out for now and time will tell whether we should have used a pick in the draft on a unknown kid or go with Pickett as we are well aware of what he can produce or will his journey be similar to Thomas?
Every spot on the list is so important to team balance and I only wanted to point out how crucial it is to get things right.

SOS is on record as saying that "we had to get some talent through the door" . He is obviously saying that before recently we havent been doing so. Which we all know too well. He is obviously of the belief that you first need to start with talented players, some will fail because of injury, some because of attitude but they must be talented. Rolling the dice on a player that hasnt performed due to injury at an early age and for a cheap price seems pretty low risk. yes he takes up a senior position, but if it is a choice between a top 10 pick in pickett or a # 60+ draft pick, I analyse it like this. Equal chances of failure (pickett that his injury doesnt come good, #60+ that his ability is not that good) So if the risks are similar we can then ask the question, who has the biggest upside? The resounding answer is JP. Once you have an answer re JP and his injury , you can make a quick decision at the end of his contract . If he hasnt worked out then you move him on and have another crack at another player. There will be IMO no giving him another year or two if he hasnt performed. Its part of the new mantra at carlton under SOS, you only have to look at a player such as menzel who was moved on. SOS knew that he had been given a chance and also knew that he was talented, but took the decision that he had been pampered enough.

We need to keep turning the list over and keeping who we think is good. Rejecting the rest.

This rubbish about taking up a place on the list is bollocks.

They only take up a place on the list if we look at them and keep them on the list for 6 years hoping they come good, which is what we used to do. That is taking up a space on the list.

If Pickett does not cut it he we will say thank you for your service and try to find someone else, within 2 years at the most. Which is the way it should be for a team trying to improve.

We need to keep turning the list over and keeping who we think is good. Rejecting the rest.

This rubbish about taking up a place on the list is bollocks.

They only take up a place on the list if we look at them and keep them on the list for 6 years hoping they come good, which is what we used to do. That is taking up a space on the list.

If Pickett does not cut it he we will say thank you for your service and try to find someone else, within 2 years at the most. Which is the way it should be for a team trying to improve.
So at a time when the list is talent deficient in a lot of areas, we seem to be recruiting young talent who have a question mark over them as we seem to bring in injured kids with not much development due to injuries who we hope will come good.
Footy geek you seem to think that they don't occupy a spot on the list, well in my opinion they do as we are at a critical time in the rebuilding or reset stage if you prefer.
The fact is for to long we have severely mismanaged the drafting and trade periods to the point we have no real youngsters who are coming through together from which we can build a competitive and well balanced list. Last years draftees excluded.
I'm not saying I'm against Pickett infact quite the opposite, I'm hoping he can be all that the club expects and has a long career at Carlton.
The point is the club can ill afford to get this process wrong. No matter whether a player occupies a position on the list for 1 year or 6, it's still 1 less spot and I'm sure with the current program at the blues you'll only get 2 years to prove your worth or you get delisted.
Footy Geek, I respect your opinion but I am also entitled to mine. GO BLUES....

Kids going to be a gun, he is one of those rarely and uniquely talented players blessed with instinctual split second timing, clean hands and bloody great balance. Sure he is a little jet when he turns the afterburners on too, but I love his attitude, the fact he chose us early in trade period and that he is determined to be an AFL player and is champing at the bit to play his debut game in navy blue!
Go stick it up'em Jarrod

The unknown could be another Daisy where there were conflicting diagnosis from various medicos and we still took a risk where the reward didn't justify the risk.

So the jury is out for now and time will tell whether we should have used a pick in the draft on a unknown kid or go with Pickett as we are well aware of what he can produce or will his journey be similar to Thomas
Totally different situation to Thomas. 1 is a kid with 1 major injury, talent to burn by all reports and a good 10 years ahead if he can overcome said injury. the other a bloke who hadn't played at his best for yonks and couldn't kick the ball 40 metres any more.

Really good to see Pickett out on the track already.

I don't know how much he'll get done through the preseason but he'll obviously benefit enormously from being out there.

We may well see him at senior level sooner than we first thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back