Past Jarrod Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

What a massive shame.

He’s a huge talent but through a combination of injury and lack of desire, we’ll never see it.

Some fans ought to be ashamed of themselves in here.

To bring money and contracts etc. into the discussion is just pathetic and shows a real lack of class.

All the best to Jarrod in whatever he chooses next.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
In recent years we've had Betts, Yarran, Garlett now Pickett want out, and have had limited success with our Indigenous players including Smith, LeBois, Garlett. Perhaps it's an area we need to invest more in or look at where we may be failing.

Of course Jones and SPS are performing brilliantly and seem well entrenched into the group, so perhaps it's nothing more than a lack of talent. Hopefully we can add some more promising aboriginal players soon. Really bummed about this outcome

A lot of non aboriginal players have left or wanted out, do we need to invest more in that area as well? FMD (as for lebois, should have been cut a year or 2 ago)

Sad to see Picketty go. Thought he had promise even if he didn't max out on his potential. I hope he does well outside of the AFL and either lives his best life beyond footy or gives himself an opportunity to get a third chance somewhere.

Still, we're going to have to make some hard calls between now and the trade period. He's probably one of the easier ones to pass judgment on from a list management perspective.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
I thought the same thing as well.
Shame never saw the best of him at AFL level,.he had some serious talent.
Have to disagree there old chap, he almost single handedly handed us our first win in decade over the Hawks👍

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Pity, he's just the type we need right now.
He sure is. That is why I am so gutted by this. There was a role in team just for him that our list did not have already but now we have to go back to drawing board and be hard to find guys as talented as him that could be ready to impact games next year that was expecting he would be ready to do after overcoming latest injury. God ,it is serious downer. It was sad last week saying goodbye to Bolts whom meant well but was not working out. This I feel more gutted by as it is a player on list I thought that could really be important. We can only replace such talent via some free agency in off season. Certainly a setback for our list plans like when we lost Ciaran Byrne over summer in unexpected fashion.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
shame, didn't play a lot for us but can remember him lighting up the field a few times when he did.

after the time spent away from the field it's understandable it could be for the best he get his bits in working order away from the rigors of an afl club, and he had been unluckier than most. doesn't mean he's lost to footy or even afl.
all the best.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
My concern is he goes back to WA and recovers from his knee injury. He overcomes his depression, and is enticed to get himself fit again and play for a WAFL side.. He then stars in the WAFL. The Perth AFL clubs know of his talent and great potential decides to draft him. He goes on to become a 150+ game player for the Eagles or Dockers. Carlton's loss, their gain. No compensation. But good luck Jarrod, it's your decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
My concern is he goes back to WA and recovers from his knee injury. He overcomes his depression, and is enticed to get himself fit again and play for a WAFL side.. He then stars in the WAFL. The Perth AFL clubs know of his talent and great potential decides to draft him. He goes on to become a 150+ game player for the Eagles or Dockers. Carlton's loss, their gain. No compensation. But good luck Jarrod, it's your decision.
We don’t get any compensation for anyone named Jarrod/Jarrad :p

In all seriousness though I hope he gets himself up and running again.

Was listening to guessEN today and Andy Maher was discussing the topic with Dal Santo. Basically touching on how much of a leap it is into an AFL environment and if you aren’t mentally prepared or willing it just doesn’t work. Can’t get there on talent alone, of which Pickett has in spades.

The horrific run with injury and not being mentally and emotionally invested in a professional AFL career sees the young fella at a fork in his life.

I truly wish him all the best, even if it was at another club in a few years.

Best of luck to the lad

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
My thoughts..get a hobby and take your mind off stuff....its not healthy to be worrying about such things.....:)

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Filthy with this.
Bloody hard to find blokes with that much raw talent.
Never had him out of my best team.

Likewise, we just lost matchwinning talent from our list, for nothing. Uncommitted matchwinning talent, yes, but matchwinning talent nonetheless.

A real shame, a combination of perhaps not being cut out for the rigours of AFL football as well as awful injury luck (probably associated).

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
Was a bit disappointed to see young Pickett has given it away. Was probably always on the cards after coming back pre season overweight but he had that x factor upfront that we haven't had since Eddie. The flashes he showed did excite. Pity. Just not committed enough. Frustrating.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
In recent years we've had Betts, Yarran, Garlett now Pickett want out, and have had limited success with our Indigenous players including Smith, LeBois, Garlett. Perhaps it's an area we need to invest more in or look at where we may be failing.

Of course Jones and SPS are performing brilliantly and seem well entrenched into the group, so perhaps it's nothing more than a lack of talent. Hopefully we can add some more promising aboriginal players soon. Really bummed about this outcome

I think you are jumping at shadows a bit.

We could of kept Betts if we tried hard enough

We pushed Garlett out

Yarran wanted to go but had issues well beyond football as has been shown

Smith just wasn’t up to it and didn’t work hard enough

Lebois has been injured a lot and always been speculative

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Was he one of Bolts favourites?

Seems odd he retired a week after Bolts was sacked.

I don’t think it was anything more than a coincidence, and a lot of the press after Pickett left suggested we’d been trying to work out where he fit in our plans, and his lack of professionalism with his recovery sealed his fate.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think it was anything more than a coincidence, and a lot of the press after Pickett left suggested we’d been trying to work out where he fit in our plans, and his lack of professionalism with his recovery sealed his fate.

It’s unfortunate he didn’t get a good run with injuries.
The game against the Hawks in 2017 was awesome!
He is the perfect player for Hawthorn to pick up IMO. All the talent in the world & a good mentor system at the Hawks for most players to survive & thrive in.

DFA signing would be gold if we could get him right. I thought if there was a Bolts connection there might be a sneaky chance to get him through the door

Remove this Banner Ad

Back