News Jarrod Witts appointed Co-Captain at Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
A win-win for us and Wittsy. Moving him on to the Gold Coast allowed Grundy to flourish as the #1 ruckman at Collingwood and Witts has made a success of his time in the sunshine state. Those early years with both Grundy and Witts competing for the #1 spot with us was doing neither of them any good. The town wasn't big enough for both of them. Congrat's to Witts for making the most of his chances.

They would have been at witts end to know who could help lead them with all their departures.

Nice for him.

Great stuff Wittsy.

Glad we got that overripe avocado and a used band-aid for him in trade.
Band aid was ruled out due to Gold Coast germs.
You can catch anything over there ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was as plain as the nose on your face that Wittsy and Grundy in the same team was never gonna work so I’m glad he’s kicked on with his second chance!

I could still throttle Gubby over the way it shook down though. A 7-8 year investment in a 209cm ruckman pissed up the wall for some points towards Cal Brown will burn for a while to come...

Good luck to Wittsy. I had high hopes for him at Collingwood, before I saw the light coming out of Grundy.

Jarrod probably stayed a season too long with us, got injured early in the season and then struggled to get back into the seniors. But he stayed with the best of intentions and when he left, he did so with class. And to my knowledge he has never stooped to bagging us.

So for all those reasons I wish him the very best. Gold Coast need good stable people and he is one of them.

Bit of a dinosaur on the field but getting the best out of himself and I am happy for him, also worked out very well for us as has been pointed out.

He helped develop an All Australian ruckman and a club captain. Maybe Rocca as ruck coach wasn't the disaster that so many on this board believed it to be.
Apparently Anthony is really popular with the group.
A fun person amongst his brief.

We were done like a dinner when we traded him out but that was not his fault,he since leaving has conducted himself perfectly much like he did when he was with us so good on him for kicking on.

As has been stated Grundy and him were never going to work in the same team but I just wish we got something close to his value (stuff you Gubby you F----- us properly in your short 2nd stay) but that not his fault either and the Suns could do much worse than Witt,sy.

I think we got a couple of late round draft picks from GC in exchange for Witts.
IIRC we packaged them up to match the points to select Tyler Brown.
Not my idea of a 'win win'. Lose win more like it. We basically swappeda ruckman and co captain for a player unlikely to become an AFL regular.

If he would take an overhead mark and throw his body around a bit more when he was with us we probably would've persevered with him in a forward ruck role that Cox has nailed down.

Yeah I think they fact an American that hadn't played the game before locked down a role he couldn't says a lot. He didn't fit into our lineup at all. He was a dedicated number 1 ruckman in a team that had a much better ruckman than him already.

Good on him though, although he has almost won the role just by being the last man standing up at that rabble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back