News Jarrod Witts appointed Co-Captain at Gold Coast

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Surprised to see the big Witt named co captain of the Suns, but well deserved, he has been very good for them over the past 3 years, and has certainly worked hard after being given their No. 1 ruck spot.

If he would take an overhead mark and throw his body around a bit more when he was with us we probably would've persevered with him in a forward ruck role that Cox has nailed down.
If Witts didn't get an infected broken finger he may have nailed the number one role at Collingwood (at least for a couple of seasons).

I think we got a couple of late round draft picks from GC in exchange for Witts.
IIRC we packaged them up to match the points to select Tyler Brown.
44 + 62 - with the idea being points for Callum Brown and Josh Daicos. Ultimately we didn't need the points for Daicos and given we also held and didn't use 64 we effectively burnt 62 for nothing in return.

A win-win for us and Wittsy. Moving him on to the Gold Coast allowed Grundy to flourish as the #1 ruckman at Collingwood and Witts has made a success of his time in the sunshine state. Those early years with both Grundy and Witts competing for the #1 spot with us was doing neither of them any good. The town wasn't big enough for both of them. Congrat's to Witts for making the most of his chances.

Maggie5 be loving this

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not my idea of a 'win win'. Lose win more like it. We basically swappeda ruckman and co captain for a player unlikely to become an AFL regular.
The real “opportunity” was the year before with the Treloar trade.
But Witts wanted to back himself in.
That said, let’s be realistic, it is Gold Coast who have lost so many players.
They looked up and saw Witts and he’s been there for a few years so he’s captain.

Let’s just say they got Tyson Goldsack then, he’d be captain too.
Same with say Levi Greenwood.
Or even say, Varcoe.

Any half decent good citizen over there would be in line to get the gig if they were there this season.

The real “opportunity” was the year before with the Treloar trade.
But Witts wanted to back himself in.
That said, let’s be realistic, it is Gold Coast who have lost so many players.
They looked up and saw Witts and he’s been there for a few years so he’s captain.

Let’s just say they got Tyson Goldsack then, he’d be captain too.
Same with say Levi Greenwood.
Or even say, Varcoe.

Any half decent good citizen over there would be in line to get the gig if they were there this season.
No, that's not true.
He has shown leadership skills this summer, he even was a stand in captain in one of their games last year. He has pushed himself as a leader. Probably hard for us on the outside to understand, but to those within those 4 walls, he was always a chance. They had a few options, I think everyone was surprised as they thought it would be Swallow/Miller. But think people probably underestimated Witts.
Both these guys lead by their actions, but have been leading the group more inside the club as well.

Lets give credit where its due. He has done well since he went up there. Elevated himself into a position he never would have with us. Good for him.

Lets give credit where its due. He has done well since he went up there. Elevated himself into a position he never would have with us. Good for him.
Well said.
He's always handled himself with class, (from what I've seen) and left with integrity intact IMO.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, that's not true.
He has shown leadership skills this summer, he even was a stand in captain in one of their games last year. He has pushed himself as a leader. Probably hard for us on the outside to understand, but to those within those 4 walls, he was always a chance. They had a few options, I think everyone was surprised as they thought it would be Swallow/Miller. But think people probably underestimated Witts.
Both these guys lead by their actions, but have been leading the group more inside the club as well.

All true, no doubt.
Good on him.
I’m more saying, any good citizen over there would be in line for captaincy this year, which wouldn’t have happened at a stronger club. Good for him.

Sometimes the chips fall your way. Nothing wrong with that.

All true, no doubt.
Good on him.
I’m more saying, any good citizen over there would be in line for captaincy this year, which wouldn’t have happened at a stronger club. Good for him.

Sometimes the chips fall your way. Nothing wrong with that.
Miller was't even over the line and he was pretty much a shoo in. They have changed this summer. They aren't appointing just any one. Things are changing at that club. But these guys are both 26, a pretty good mature age. Experienced. Obviously Jarrod has shown what he is capable of leadership wise. There was only a handful that was in contention.

No Dave, I have moved on. Don't think it would have worked and good luck to him.

The past is the past.

By the way, what do you think if I choose Grundy for my avatar?

That be Great. :thumbsu:

Well you where Right saying Witts is a Good Ruckman because he is top 5 Ruck in the League. Both Grundy and Witts showed why we Both Rated them Highly and Witts has done very well at the Suns

Not my idea of a 'win win'. Lose win more like it. We basically swappeda ruckman and co captain for a player unlikely to become an AFL regular.

Witts might be co-captain of Gold Coast, but no way would that translate to Collingwood. Cox would seem to have far better leadership credentials than Wittsy and that’s who we ended up with.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Witts might be co-captain of Gold Coast, but no way would that translate to Collingwood. Cox would seem to have far better leadership credentials than Wittsy and that’s who we ended up with.
Cox might be who ended up with, but not as the result of the Witts' trade. I have no issue with Cox but ultimately developing Witts over several years did not profit the club. No wonder clubs are so loathe to home grow ruckman and instead trade for them once another club has poured draft picks, money and resources into developing them

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
Surprised to see the big Witt named co captain of the Suns, but well deserved, he has been very good for them over the past 3 years, and has certainly worked hard after being given their No. 1 ruck spot.

Has it been 3 years already? Blimey.
Well done to him. He's become an excellent ruckman.

With all due respect, if Swallow and Witts are the best they have got..................
They had plenty of options, and for reasons we on the outside may not understand, these two are the best leaders, and have shown their leadership skills. It's not for us to judge.
They are experienced and mature leaders. Their hard work and commitment toward the club has paid off. Miller is maybe a little too young right now to take over the reigns but in time he will be the next captain.

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
He helped develop an All Australian ruckman and a club captain. Maybe Rocca as ruck coach wasn't the disaster that so many on this board believed it to be.
If he would take an overhead mark and throw his body around a bit more when he was with us we probably would've persevered with him in a forward ruck role that Cox has nailed down.
Has he beein doing that with them thouigh? I haven't exactly watched too many GC games in recent years.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
They had plenty of options, and for reasons we on the outside may not understand, these two are the best leaders, and have shown their leadership skills. It's not for us to judge.
They are experienced and mature leaders. Their hard work and commitment toward the club has paid off. Miller is maybe a little too young right now to take over the reigns but in time he will be the next captain.

Its Bigfooty.

Of course we can judge.

Thats what its here for.

Back