Player Watch Jarrod Witts (Traded to GCS 2016)

I'm not arguing with you there, and I'm not trying to pot Grundy.

The question was asked who won the battle. I answered Witts, by a hairs breadth. Regardless of what else happened during the game the result of that battle isn't going to change....

Omitting the Fasolo hit on Grundy removes the context in which Witts was able to compete with Grundy.

Omitting the Fasolo hit on Grundy removes the context in which Witts was able to compete with Grundy.
Does it? It looked bad, but he got up and walked away from it, didn't even have to go off the ground.

What kind of context would you like to use to explain how Witts was towelling Grundy up before that even happened?

Do you honestly believe that Grundy would have somehow decisively beaten Witts if that clash hadn't happened?

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't fault him for fighting for his spot, but it certainly shits me that he walked out 12 months later for next to nothing. It's set us back a fair way. If he'd gone in 2015 we would have had pick 7 to use last year on a gun kid.
Apex, pretty poor form to be potting a player for wanting to stay at the Club...

Apex, pretty poor form to be potting a player for wanting to stay at the Club...
Wtf? In what world does 'I can't fault him for fighting for his spot' constitute potting a player for wanting to stay?

FFS, what's wrong with this board? Get a grip!

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wtf? In what world does 'I can't fault him for fighting for his spot' constitute potting a player for wanting to stay?

FFS, what's wrong with this board? Get a grip!
Apologies, I got confused on the previous page and quoted the wrong poster.

Meant to quote TW Sherrin for this:

"If anyone burnt the club in the witts trade it was witts.

Dunno how he escapes criticism for what happened."

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's funny, we all talk about how you let someone else develop a ruck and then go get one when you need him... Then it happens to us and we're salty. I'm salty same as Apex that we could have kept a first round draft pick if Witts had left the year before to Giants. Grundy v Witts for next decade? I choose Grundy, club thought the same.

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
The context of witts leaving makes this thread cloae to a troll thread... It probably was. It is that stupid the mods should lock it.

Does it? It looked bad, but he got up and walked away from it, didn't even have to go off the ground.

What kind of context would you like to use to explain how Witts was towelling Grundy up before that even happened?

Do you honestly believe that Grundy would have somehow decisively beaten Witts if that clash hadn't happened?

You could say that Watts had a minor statistical advantage and we were 5 goals deep into a 6-0 goal run after conceding two goals.

Then Grundy and Fasolo had a car crash moment where I thought Grundy was dead and couldn't believe his effort to keep going. He then broke even with Witt's stat wise but don't be surprised if Grundy doesn't play next week.

You could say that Watts had a minor statistical advantage and we were 5 goals deep into a 6-0 goal run after conceding two goals.

Then Grundy and Fasolo had a car crash moment where I thought Grundy was dead and couldn't believe his effort to keep going. He then broke even with Witt's stat wise but don't be surprised if Grundy doesn't play next week.
A minor statistical advantage?? The Witts Grundy battle was high on my radar the whole game Ned, it's one of the few reasons I was interested in this game, and as such I was keeping a close eye on their battle. Around the time of the Fasolo/Grundy clash Witts was up in hitouts 16-8 and had 8 disposals to Grundy's 4. That's not a minor statistical advantage, that's a pantsing of the highest order, and it's a credit to Grundy's competitiveness that he was able to claw back to almost a break even performance by the end of the game.

I think you're highly overstating the effect that clash had on Grundy's game TBH.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO, I would look at it that we saw how "highly rated" he was by Gubby last off-season. Given we got a half eaten Kit Kat and packet of Doritos for him I'm hard pressed believing that Gubby would have accepted him as a major piece in any deal for Treloar. In hindsight I'm sure we'd have got more for him the year before just not from GWS!

I thought there was some interest from the Doggies as well in 2015.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've never seen a Collingwood ruckman in my life that would have been able to play on after getting bent in half like this.

IMG_1727_zpspkepjhzi.png
[/URL]

Grundy is a freak and a monster

Standard ballet manoeuvre?

A minor statistical advantage?? The Witts Grundy battle was high on my radar the whole game Ned, it's one of the few reasons I was interested in this game, and as such I was keeping a close eye on their battle. Around the time of the Fasolo/Grundy clash Witts was up in hitouts 16-8 and had 8 disposals to Grundy's 4. That's not a minor statistical advantage, that's a pantsing of the highest order, and it's a credit to Grundy's competitiveness that he was able to claw back to almost a break even performance by the end of the game.

I think you're highly overstating the effect that clash had on Grundy's game TBH.

You are incorrect. At the time of the collision witts had 2 handballs (one from a free kick.). Grundy also had two handballs and one mark. Hitouts were probably in witts' favour but Grundy had he clear hit out to advantage (de goey).

Watch witts take his first mark because Grundy can hardly run. He has 30 metres on him. Grundy was ineffective around the ground after the hit and had been leading witts to the ball at that point.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the Witts trade, didn't we use the picks on Callum Brown and Josh Daicos, future will tell us where the ledger rests. Was a big fan of Witts and he needed opportunity, no issues with someone looking after themselves.
Please don't let the facts dilute a good sledge thread Horace - there is only a godzillion posts attacking coach, club, fitness staff, pres - whatever.

Please don't let the facts dilute a good sledge thread Horace - there is only a godzillion posts attacking coach, club, fitness staff, pres - whatever.
What facts are you referring to? Daicos wasn't bid on, so in actuality we didn't need the points from the Witts trade to secure he and Brown anyway. If we'd got his true worth we'd have had another pick in the 20's where we could have picked up someone like Shai Bolton (who we were reportedly keen on) or one of the other multitude of talented youngsters from last years draft.

We got rogered good and proper with the Witts trade, there's no point in sugar coating it with the points angle, because we didn't need them.

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
The facts are that Witts had no place as first ruck with Grundy in the form he was in, he would have been an idiot to have stayed and proved that he wasn't. People who insist on being wise after the event give me the shites.

Keep on punching Jon, don't take a backward step.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Apologies, I got confused on the previous page and quoted the wrong poster.

Meant to quote TW Sherrin for this:

"If anyone burnt the club in the witts trade it was witts.

Dunno how he escapes criticism for what happened."

If he wanted to stay why didnt he?

I agree. Wonder if he regrets not going to gws. Could win a flag this year or next. Suns cant in the foreseeable future.
It was a pretty odd thing to do tbh, especially given he's a NSW native.

Back