Player Watch Jarrod Witts (Traded to GCS 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Article today on him....we should of moved on mason cox instead!
This will prove to be a massive mistake amongst many!
Thoughts?

The problem was keeping both he and Grundy satisfied. Both play their best footy as first rucks. Both are good enough to be first rucks at AFL level. Neither would have been any good (or good enough) playing second ruck/forward to the other.

I think he had to go, but the problem is the pathetic deal we did for him. Absolutely dudded.

I think witts coukd playbmason cox'S role and probably do it better....PLUS if grundy goes down obviously wittsbis such a better ruckman......we should of asked for a straight swap with saad

I have no problems with him going and good luck to him. There just wasn't enough room for him and Grundy on the list, Accepting peanuts for him though, now that was silly,
The trade that annoyed me the most, other than Mayne of course, was Marley. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes but I was always a big fan and to give him away for an insulting pick was just crazy.
Last years trade period was an absolute disaster.

I think witts coukd playbmason cox'S role and probably do it better....PLUS if grundy goes down obviously wittsbis such a better ruckman......we should of asked for a straight swap with saad

I think Moore does that job long-term and does it much better than either Witts or Cox could.

Don't rate Witts as a forward and he would be wasted in that role. And don't forget, Witts basically wanted to go. He even had a little shot at us on the way out, saying he wanted to play finals footy which was a big part in his decision.

I think Moore does that job long-term and does it much better than either Witts or Cox could.

Don't rate Witts as a forward and he would be wasted in that role. And don't forget, Witts basically wanted to go. He even had a little shot at us on the way out, saying he wanted to play finals footy which was a big part in his decision.
Really? I thought he left on good terms!? Even wrote a letter iirc?

Really? I thought he left on good terms!? Even wrote a letter iirc?

I wouldn't say he left on bad terms, but he did say that playing finals was a big factor in his decision to go to GC. To be fair he was probably just saying nice things about his new club more than anything, particularly as they haven't exactly been a finals stalwart since their inception.

watching the swans game, noted collingwood hater/baiter Dunstall commented about how much more mobile he looked in Suns colours. he is such a plonker (Dunstall i mean).

anyway, not sure Witts is destined for greatness but still think he is a better ruck than Cox

Age old dilemma
What do clubs do when they have two number one rucks

Inevitably one must move on.

Cox is a bit different, he can do a few things forward, and is a suitable and competant second ruck should Grundy miss for injury.

So we are ok on all this.

(But we should have got more for Witts, simply because number one ruck types don't grow on trees)

<Puts on hindsight hero cape>

If anything, we traded him a year too late. Grundy was always going to make the grade, we could of taken the punt on Grundy to take the no. 1 ruck role in 2016, told Witts as such and got a decent return from him/used him for Treloar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problems with him going and good luck to him. There just wasn't enough room for him and Grundy on the list, Accepting peanuts for him though, now that was silly,
The trade that annoyed me the most, other than Mayne of course, was Marley. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes but I was always a big fan and to give him away for an insulting pick was just crazy.
Last years trade period was an absolute disaster.
Last years trade period was just stunning incompetence. There is no other description for it. It really encapsulates the lack of basic intelligence, shambolic list management and lack of strategy that has been the trademark of club decision making. All those involved need to be shown the door. Those wanting Gubby back are crazy after he gave us that performance.

Whats hurt us is that Grundy couldnt play the forward/ruck role allowing us to keep Witts (clearly the better tap ruckman)

With Grundys mobility i was hoping he could but it wasnt to be.

Watching Moore in the ruck a few times this year, i think he will end up playing there like his old man.

Article today on him....we should of moved on mason cox instead!
This will prove to be a massive mistake amongst many!
Thoughts?

I would have traded him at the right price. But we should have held firm until we were offered his real value. Based on past player trades of comparably talented rucks he should have been worth somewhere between pick 17-25.

<Puts on hindsight hero cape>

If anything, we traded him a year too late. Grundy was always going to make the grade, we could of taken the punt on Grundy to take the no. 1 ruck role in 2016, told Witts as such and got a decent return from him/used him for Treloar.
Witts was contracted and at that stage backed himself in to win the battle for #1 ruck. That he entered round 1 2016 as the preferred ruck says his stance was justified; unfortunately injury intervened and Grundy's AFL perfomances improved immensely so he never got another look in. Witts' trade value didn't drop over 2016 as he actually improved and developed his game in the twos, however like a cheap hooker we were just too easy in the trade.

As for the OP Cox vs Witts we didn't have a choice.

Follow the GCS and Witts has been a beauty this season. Big Tom Nichols can't get a look in and even with a season to go on his contract will be looking to move for the 2018. Similar to Goldsack and a Preuss at North.

I love Grundy but we should've kept Witts and traded Grundy for two first round picks in the 2017 draft (even a 2017 1st rounder and a future 1st rounder if two 2017 first rounders was asking too much), and used those picks to nab a few key position players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back