Player Watch Jarrod Witts (Traded to GCS 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's understandable people are pissed we didn't get more for Witts considering what we gave up for Wood.

Unfortunately circumstances at the time didn't work out. The first scenario being he didn't want to be part of the Treloar deal as he admirably wanted to back himself in.

The second scenario is where it gets clouded. Did he just say I'm gone or did Gubby say, get rid at any cost?
Could we've offered a contract that enticed him to stay? Money saved from Mayne for example? Could we have bullshitted Witts saying we still saw him as number one ruck down the track with Grundy fwd? All the while thinking he would have more value down the track?

Anyway you look at it, we got nothing for a number one ruck.

The awkward baby giraffe is now an adult giraffe on his way to being an alpha giraffe.

It's understandable people are pissed we didn't get more for Witts considering what we gave up for Wood.

Unfortunately circumstances at the time didn't work out. The first scenario being he didn't want to be part of the Treloar deal as he admirably wanted to back himself in.

The second scenario is where it gets clouded. Did he just say I'm gone or did Gubby say, get rid at any cost?
Could we've offered a contract that enticed him to stay? Money saved from Mayne for example? Could we have bullshitted Witts saying we still saw him as number one ruck down the track with Grundy fwd? All the while thinking he would have more value down the track?

Anyway you look at it, we got nothing for a number one ruck.

The awkward baby giraffe is now an adult giraffe on his way to being an alpha giraffe.
Well said. Off topic but how are you going in Supercoach?

Well said. Off topic but how are you going in Supercoach?
2234 with 7 trades & 282K in the bank.

Good cash gen on bench. Only playing for cashie.

You?

2234 with 7 trades & 282K in the bank.

Good cash gen on bench. Only playing for cashie.

You?
Wow that's fantastic.
Nah, still stubborn in not choosing certain players, currently 10th in my comp, so will try and help out a couple of friends in the 8. Cash prize $1200 for first then some minor for runners up.

Wow that's fantastic.
Nah, still stubborn in not choosing certain players, currently 10th in my comp, so will try and help out a couple of friends in the 8. Cash prize $1200 for first then some minor for runners up.
That's all well & good but overall ranking??:)

Im happy with Grundy. The last couple weeks he has just gone out of form a little compared to how good he was first half of the year.

Get a dam ruck coach and a good one and Grundy will be able to take his game to the next level.

Im happy with Grundy. The last couple weeks he has just gone out of form a little compared to how good he was first half of the year.

Get a dam ruck coach and a good one and Grundy will be able to take his game to the next level.

fair chance he is buggered. has done plenty of k's already this year for a young ruck.

fair chance he is buggered. has done plenty of k's already this year for a young ruck.

Hopefully Darcy follows his dad and eventually becomes a ruck. Grundy's great but he's going to hit to wall soon and he needs help. Cox is not the answer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Darcy follows his dad and eventually becomes a ruck. Grundy's great but he's going to hit to wall soon and he needs help. Cox is not the answer

cox might be the best tap ruckman we've got but you'll zero from him around the ground.

I reckon Darcy could be a champion CHB.

I guess we should have anticipated that he might run out of steam later in the year given the ruck load he's carried this year. It's not that he's playing badly, just not as good as he's shown earlier in the season. That's compounded a little by the ruckmen he's been opposed to. Ryder, McEvoy, Bellchambers, and Witts all bring different challenges. Another pre-season under his belt and I think he'll go better for longer.

Club champion at GCS and recorded the most hit outs of any ruckman in the competition. Turns out we had an embarrassment of riches in the ruck department. I really think he could have been playing the Mason cox role this year, albeit it seems the entire coaching and recruiting departments had lost faith him. When he wore the black and white, he showed glimpses but it was always frustrating to see him drop those pack marks when he got first hands to the ball. Trading him for a 3rd rounder and retaining Gault that year was a joke though after the time spent developing him.

Club champion at GCS and recorded the most hit outs of any ruckman in the competition. Turns out we had an embarrassment of riches in the ruck department. I really think he could have been playing the Mason cox role this year, albeit it seems the entire coaching and recruiting departments had lost faith him. When he wore the black and white, he showed glimpses but it was always frustrating to see him drop those pack marks when he got first hands to the ball. Trading him for a 3rd rounder and retaining Gault that year was a joke though after the time spent developing him.
None of us has a crystal ball, time waits for no one and he had been on the list for some time without realizing his true potential. At times you have to pull the plug and say enough.

No one can say before hand that it's the right or wrong call but players can't be left on the list perpetually on 'potential'.

Trading him for a 3rd rounder and retaining Gault that year was a joke though after the time spent developing him.

I think you got that wrong. Gault was let go at the end of 2016, not retained. We traded Witts at the end of 2016.

But absolutely agree we did not get enough for him. Also classy in the way he left. Good on him for succeeding at GC.

But the
Called this. Should’ve been kept.

Yeah nah - I doubt whether Grundy and Witts would have developed to the degree they have if Witts was was still on our list.

Neither of them are really capable of playing a role up forward on a regular basis so they wouldn't have worked together as a tandem, as you need one of the two to accept their role and defer to the other in terms of being the #1 ruck.

In the end they just both had too much potential as #1 rucks to keep them both, and it would be a consensus that we kept the right one I suspect.

Problem is Witts is really a first choice ruckman. And he was already showing how good he could be when we had him (despite the hate on this board). But he isn’t a forward - that was the judgement the club made. So it was either Witts or Grundy.

Problem is Witts is really a first choice ruckman. And he was already showing how good he could be when we had him (despite the hate on this board). But he isn’t a forward - that was the judgement the club made. So it was either Witts or Grundy.
Witts the better tap ruck man but Grundy immensely more versatile.

Don't see Witts in the AA conversation meaning the club went down the right path.

Good on Witts however for carving out a career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back