Jarrod Witts

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Plenty is going to be written about the Suns this week. One thing that will undoubtedly missed, will be the influence of this guy on the team. Every Suns player should give their paycheck to Wittsy this week. He was superb tonight and has been all year.

Watching the game tonight, plenty of Suns look like they'd rather be anywhere but on the field, but Witts isn't one of them. He tries his guts out in every single contest and is trying to lift a lifeless team out of a rut. Seeing a 209cm guy chase Tim Taranto, while a little funny- gives an indication of how much he is making the most of his opportunity at the Suns. Sure, he has plenty of deficiencies, but he had a mighty big heart and its games like this one where it stands out more than most.

He's averaging nearly 40 hitouts and 15 touches a game at the moment and while those numbers aren't going to get him into an All-Australian team, he's an elite player now. And you can't say that about any other Suns based on their performance tonight.

He deserves a lot more than the kind of effort the Suns outside runners and flankers have given tonight. He leads an undersized and underdeveloped midfield far more than a guy of his size and limited experience should.

We don't usually associate ruckmen as being captains, but the Suns might just have one in Witts. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
If Jarrod Witts gets his own main board thread I want one for this bloke.
Josh+Bootsma+AFL+Rd+9+Carlton+v+Melbourne+3h83FERzDD4l.jpg

Nicnat aside almost all ruckmen find it tough to play with another dedicated ruckman, most of them want to play big minutes as the main man. No surprise both he and Grundy are in career best form since he left Collingwood.

He's 25 too and ruckmen take time. Good to see him playing well, they need something up there the Suns.

No doubt he's playing well, and happy to see him do it. Without one of them showing the ability to play forward regularly though, it was never going to work playing him and Grundy together at Collingwood.

Could use a little work on his hitout technique and general footy IQ in that area though. The differential between hitouts, versus clearances and possessions, in tonight's game was nothing short of ridiculous. Needs to turn getting first hands to the ball into first use for his team more often. Some of this is on his midfielders too, who were soundly beaten in positioning and contests.

The irony of Jarrod Witts being the only guy in his side NOT playing like a pea heart is not lost on me
Witts was never a pea heart at Collingwood.

Glad for him, I wanted to retain him but logistically couldn’t work with Grundy. Love him all the same and hope he keeps his form up.

Witts was never a pea heart at Collingwood.

Glad for him, I wanted to retain him but logistically couldn’t work with Grundy. Love him all the same and hope he keeps his form up.
We’ll have to agree to disagree mate. Personally I can’t recall too many players that put their head down and started plodding the way he did when he was playing with us and the going got a bit tough.

FWIW though, I always had pretty high hopes for him and I’m glad he’s doing well now :thumbsu:

he's an elite player now.
I was with you until then.

He is not an elite player. He might stand out because he's having a go while the rest of his team are shite, but an elite player that does not make.

This is a classic example of why the word elite has become cheapened.

I was with you until then.

He is not an elite player. He might stand out because he's having a go while the rest of his team are shite, but an elite player that does not make.

This is a classic example of why the word elite has become cheapened.
I'd argue that he's elite, but certainly not a superstar. Elite players are those around an All Australian squad, but superstars are top 3 or 4 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was damn near criminal what we got for him (picks 44 + 62)

And to think we paid pick 14 for Cameron Wood :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back