Player Watch Jarryd Blair (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

His career could be quickly coming to an end.

Very limited player who is more often than not a passenger in our side.

It seems the coaches have finally lost patience with him, and with his age he might not be coming back as we opt to play youth.
His not that old

Will find it hard to get back in if our young players take their opportunities. The fact that Kennendy has not taken his opportunity has left the door ajar. fas will continue to hit the scoreboard and if remains fit should be first choice as small forward out side Elliot. I am still a little in shock that Bucks pulled the trigger, big call but one I am happy with that he has made.

He had a very good first month but looking at my Blair Watch Project I have him falling in 6 of his last 11 games.

His form has dropped away IMO but compared to last year when he was putrid and never looked liked being dropped it's an improvement.

With Elliott back and Fas holding his place I don't feel we need another player who is basically a small marking forward in the side.

If we get Treloar the flow on affect will make it hard for Blair to remain in the side as his spot could be better filled by a young mid like de Goey, Broomhead, Freeman etc.

His career could be quickly coming to an end.

Very limited player who is more often than not a passenger in our side.

It seems the coaches have finally lost patience with him, and with his age he might not be coming back as we opt to play youth.

Very limited player? Passenger?

Copeland results
2011 - 9th best player at Collingwood
2012 - 7th best player
2013 - Outside top ten but awarded the Gavin Brown award for most courageous player
2014 - 10th best player
2015 - ??TBC

I for one am sad to see Blair out of the seniors. I love what he brings to each contest he gets to. I was ok if someone (perhaps Kennedy after all the BF hype but I don't see it yet) with the same intensity and better goal scoring ratio, or perhaps a true crumber ALA Krak would eventually push him out, but to have him out for not much is a bit disappointing.

Copeland results
2012 - 7th best player
2013 - Outside top ten but awarded the Gavin Brown award for most courageous player
2014 - 10th best player
2015 - ??TBC

I for one am sad to see Blair out of the seniors. I love what he brings to each contest he gets to. I was ok if someone (perhaps Kennedy after all the BF hype but I don't see it yet) with the same intensity and better goal scoring ratio, or perhaps a true crumber ALA Krak would eventually push him out, but to have him out for not much is a bit disappointing.

Coming 9th or 10th in a BnF isn't very impressive when there are only 21 (since the sub rule) really getting votes each week, and most of those guys didn't play as many games as Blair who was very durable.

He tries hard, but his tackles are easily shrugged, he isn't very damaging offensively, his height is a liability and he isn't fast or strong enough to apply elite pressure.

I haven't seen any improvement in him since 2011, which was probably his best year imo. He use to run and carry the ball back then.

Blair is a solid player, and gives 100%, but not blessed with x-factor - it all comes down to hard work. I think he's going find it hard to get a game going forward though. I see him being pushed out by others like Kennedy, Freeman, etc - if Thomas wasn't drug-busted he'd already have taken his place.

Which means, I wonder if he should be up for trade - not sure you'd het anything for him, but a team like Melbourne or Brisbane or the Suns could do with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Copeland results
2012 - 7th best player
2014 - 10th best player
2015 - ??TBC

Most Kappa posts are wishful thinking along the lines of Abbott's 3 word political slogans, designed to fool.

Yeah he was the best on baller in gippsland at his age
Brilliant evasive skills an hands in close, always knew how to find the footy
Was playing seniors on ball at 17
That's all well and good at that level. Didn't he win the Morrish medal as well? What kills him off is his lack of pace. Either you have it or you don't. Brett Harvey who is about the same height still has it at age 36. No amount of training when you reach AFL level is going to make you faster and Blair is no faster than what he was at U18 level. When you move up from VFL to AFL level you multiply the pace of the game by about two. That's why certain players are fantastic playing VFL but struggle when they play AFL. Moving Blair into the middle of the ground won't compensate him for his lack of pace. If he was taller with his pace he could play other roles which suits the team. It's simply genetics which conspire against certain players who have the skill sets and football intelligence to play AFL, but not the physical attributes.

He has above average footballing talent at AFL level, but unfortunately he just isn't very good. He's too short, too slow, his tackles don't stick, he's not strong enough to play on ball properly and even in his good games, he has twenty minute spells where he is anonymous. He also, despite being a pretty regular goal kicker, nearly always misses the important ones whether they are easy or hard.

I like Blair and I think he remains a good squad player because he can do a job, but with a full team we need to move past him to improve.

The premise of this thread was drop Blair and play a guy with upside, Seedsman.

One of the ins this week, Seedsman
Out, Blair.

Perhaps the selection committee read your OP DaVe86 :D

Dont get me wrong, i really like Blair. I just think his last month has been really poor, even if he has been sub in occassion.

If he plays like he did in the first half of the year then he has a spot. I just dont believe he is undroppable.

He isnt going to get better as a player...and we still have kids at vfl level we need to find out about.

Spots are hard to get in this side, so Blair needs to be consistent or he will just become a depth player. Selection this week has proven his spot is vulnerable.

Kennedy didnt take his chance, but i reckon the guy next year who will put the nail in Blairs coffin is Abbott. With 2 smalls in elliott and fasolo, Abbott is more a mid sized player who is mercurial, marks and kicks goals. We will also see a lot more of swan as a forward...especially if we land treloar.

That's all well and good at that level. Didn't he win the Morrish medal as well? What kills him off is his lack of pace. Either you have it or you don't. Brett Harvey who is about the same height still has it at age 36. No amount of training when you reach AFL level is going to make you faster and Blair is no faster than what he was at U18 level. When you move up from VFL to AFL level you multiply the pace of the game by about two. That's why certain players are fantastic playing VFL but struggle when they play AFL. Moving Blair into the middle of the ground won't compensate him for his lack of pace. If he was taller with his pace he could play other roles which suits the team. It's simply genetics which conspire against certain players who have the skill sets and football intelligence to play AFL, but not the physical attributes.

I agree, In an era maybe 10 years ago he would have been a very good AFL player but he doesnt have the elite attributes you need which is a shame because he can play

I've bumped this one so dont go back and look at all the old messages from guys who have changed their nick names in the last year.

I just wanted Blairy to know that I still hate him and all that fantastic forward pressure and leadership that he showed last week, hasnt been wasted....although I've forgotten about it already...

I've bumped this one so dont go back and look at all the old messages from guys who have changed their nick names in the last year.

I just wanted Blairy to know that I still hate him and all that fantastic forward pressure and leadership that he showed last week, hasnt been wasted....although I've forgotten about it already...

I understand it's a pisstake but the hate little Blairy receives on this place is disappointing. Blair is a skilful footballer who gives everything out on the park. His only weekness is his physical attributes which unfortunately he can't do anything about.

Dont blame or criticise Blair for players not going past him. Blame Karnezis, Kennedy and others for not showing the mongrel Blair brings to every contest despite his limited statue.

Could you only imaging the footballer we would have if you could put Blair's head on Cloke's body.

I understand it's a pisstake but the hate little Blairy receives on this place is disappointing. Blair is a skilful footballer who gives everything out on the park. His only weekness is his physical attributes which unfortunately he can't do anything about.

Dont blame or criticise Blair for players not going past him. Blame Karnezis, Kennedy and others for not showing the mongrel Blair brings to every contest despite his limited statue.

Could you only imaging the footballer we would have if you could put Blair's head on Cloke's body.

ok...you got me unsettled there.... are we removing cloke's head before we graft blair's head onto it? Maybe we can have a two headed monster forward....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back