Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
“IT SURPRISED ME”: ARE THESE THE REASONS BEHIND LYONS’ SHOCK SUNS DELISTING?
A lack of leg speed and spread from stoppages were the reasons behind Gold Coast’s decision to delist Jarryd Lyons, according to former Sun Michael Barlow. Lyons, 26, joined Queensland rivals Brisbane after being let go by the expansion club, despite being under contract and averaging 24.5 disposals in 19 games in 2018.

Barlow says the opportunity to join the Lions on a multi-year contract was an offer too irresistible to turn down for the prolific midfielder. “A lot of the commentary last year externally was about the need for the Suns to have inside ball-winners and mature players to help Touk Miller and Dave Swallow,” Barlow told SEN Breakfast.

“He found himself in and out of the side last year. I think the opportunity to go to Brisbane was too good to refuse in terms of the length of the contract compared to the frustrations that were happening at the Suns. “I do know there were question marks over his leg speed and spread from stoppages, but I’m in the corner of footballers can just play and find the ball – he’s hard and he’s a competitor. “From my point of view, I found it a bit dumbfounding."

Lyons amassed 26 disposals and seven tackles in Brisbane’s Round 1 44-point win over reigning premiers West Coast last Sunday.
1553553557279.png
Like dlanod mentioned in another post; to offload Lyons for some of the recruits they brought in is just head scratching, but glad we benefited from getting Lyons to the club for nothing other than a list spot.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Nine things we learned: The top two recruits of 2019 are Lions
1. Brisbane has not just the Recruit of the Year – but the top two
Lachie Neale has rightfully got many of the plaudits for the Lions' rise up the ladder in 2019, averaging 32 disposals in his first season after transferring from Fremantle. He is a weekly model of perpetual motion and hunger for the football. But in Jarryd Lyons, Neale has a midfield mate that is rapidly climbing the Lions' best and fairest leaderboard and making opposition coaches scratch their heads with who to shut down. Just six days after 36 disposals and a best-afield display against Port Adelaide, Lyons – delisted by Gold Coast and snapped up by Brisbane on a three-year deal – racked up another 30 and two goals against North Melbourne. His nose for the ball is the perfect complement to Brisbane's exciting midfield. While Tom Lynch (Richmond), Jordan Roughead (Collingwood), Luke Dahlhaus (Geelong) and Jared Polec (North Melbourne) are all having fine seasons at their new club, this one-two punch has been a recruiting masterstroke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Weapons
Another buzz word that means a lot at Brisbane.

Jarryd Lyons has been pleased with the way things have changed for him. Fagan focuses on strengths. It means the world to Jarryd Lyons who was not rated by the Suns but has become a key contributor in the Lions’ surge up the ladder.

He reckons Fagan cut straight to the point when he drove down the highway to the Coast this time last year to make his pitch. “Fages talked about the role they wanted me to play inside. They were talking about my weapons, whereas Gold Coast were more about the weaknesses I had,’’ he said. “Brisbane were happy to grow the weapons and they had a role for me so it’s what I wanted to be part of.”

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The sliding doors moment that could see Lyons lift the cup (Matt Balmer)
Less than 12 months ago, Jarryd Lyons was preparing for his wedding day, ahead of a gruelling pre-season campaign at Gold Coast.

But in a remarkable change of events, Lyons will run out for the Brisbane Lions in a semi final against GWS, just a week after his former teammates celebrated their season in Bali. Despite having a year to run on his contract, Lyons accepted a three-year offer from the Lions after trade period ended in October, moving an hour up the highway as a delisted free agent.

Lyons was one of the most prolific midfielders at the club in 2018, averaging 24.6 disposals and 5.4 tackles, with the Suns finishing 17th on the ladder. And as he revealed to Fox Footy’s On the Mark, Lyons hadn’t been seeking an opportunity to join his third AFL club.

“It all happened really fast. I still expected to be at Gold Coast come that November period but it was all wheels in motion really quick,” he said. “It was pretty much done within four or five days. it was a really hard decision but looking back to where we are now, it’s pretty hard to say it wasn’t a good one. "It’s been a whirlwind six or seven months, but the way the club is going and where we are at at the moment, I couldn’t ask for much more.”

Despite the offer to join the Lions, he never expected the club to rise from five wins into the top four in 2019. “Probably wanting to start a family (helped me make the decision), (I’m) 27 now, you just sort of never know what can happen in that sort of bracket,” he explained. “And to get three years at a club that was always going to be emerging, I probably didn’t see us being this good this quickly, but in the end of it was a hard decision, but an easy one in terms of I knew what I was going to get.”

Alongside his partner, Lyons also lives with teammate and brother Corey, praising the influence of Fagan in his first season at the club. “Fages just coaches how he sees it. He sees the strengths in players and what they do,” he said. “He coaches everyone to what they are good at. We sort of call it weapon training.”

Lyons also spoke glowingly of the late Phil Walsh, with the 27-year-old playing under the former Adelaide coach when he was at the club. “I was sort of in and out of the side at that point so I had a lot to do with him because we were catching up all the time. He was amazing,” Lyons said. “Every day off during the week if you weren’t in the side, we’d catch up for coffee and talk about how he could get you in the team and what you were going to do to get in the side. He really wanted his players to succeed. “If he could’ve had 47 players on the field, he would’ve. He gave his time up for everyone. He was really big on my career.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back