Opinion Jarryd Lyons - Are midfielders supposed to take this long?

Remove this Banner Ad

On frees against, JL career average is 1 every 3.3 games. This year it's 1 every 2 games. I'm certain getting caught has never been an issue.

Its not an issue for him at all. This is something that people like Vader have made up He is extremely quick in the mind and has extremely quick hands in close. Rarely gets caught. Unless he is trying to run and carry the ball. Thats not his go. But as he is quick in mind he tends to know when contact is coming and how to avoid it.

On frees against, JL career average is 1 every 3.3 games. This year it's 1 every 2 games. I'm certain getting caught has never been an issue.
Maybe he just knows to drop the ball when he gets tackled as that isn't something umpires often give a free against for.

I recall him giving up a goal deep in defence in the manner you referred, but I really can't recall too many other occasions where he's been gotten to before getting away his disposal.

Yes, that's the one that had me worried initially, but no longer. It's actually very interesting regarding some players who look slow: you look at them with the ball and cringe when they hang onto it, and say to yourself "I told you so" when they get caught from behind looking like they have no perception of reality. Lyons, Rat, and CEY all brought this attitude out in me initially. Rat got caught once, but has miraculously proved himself since by ducking and weaving magically when he has the ball. Lyons got caught once but has avoided putting himself in that situation again, and has passed the test. When CEY has the ball, time seems to stand still: he seems to mesmerise the oppo even without bothering to dodge and weave like the Rat: It must be his aura.

He's not flashy, but I've watched him closely this year and appreciating how professional & reliable a footballer he's becoming. If he had the a shot on goal after the siren within 40 to win a grand final I'd feel confident.
If he had to deliver the ball into the forward line with 15 seconds left, I'd feel even more confident.
Just looked up his disposal efficiency and surprised its only 67%.

The AFL stats page is pretty clunky (filter by team dropdown doesnt work) but looks like Cheney is our best at 81%+. Wouldnt have guessed that
Laird a pretty close second - that i would have guessed.

Our highest rated player in the last 4 weeks, #12 in the AFL.

Seriously though - that's brilliant.

Well done to the lad for sticking tough, and now proving he's a genuine AFL quality footballer.

Hopefully he can keep it up - I fully expect him to.

Some people now look like absolute boobs with their opinion of Lyons.

Yeah ill put my hand up too.

He just never looked like taking that next step, even in the very early stages this year. Just looked like the same old Lyons doing the same old thing we were accustomed too, not much more than a very good depth player.

However,r after being dropped the first time, he came back in some serious touch, looked confident, looked like he had gained a yard of pace and looked like he belonged. I really don't know what changed over that 2-3 weeks, as in the PS he really didn't look any different at all.

But a massive credit to him, don't see him being pushed out of the side anytime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-26...m=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

In the past four weeks, Jarryd Lyons is the 12th-ranked player in the game, of those who have lined up at least three times.

Over that period, Lyons is sixth for inside 50s and 13th for metres gained.

Interestingly, Lyons has been prolific at the fall of the ball after a marking contest. In 2016, he is ranked fifth in the competition for crumbs (two per game) and 10th for score assists.

His ability to win the ball inside the contest and then have an impact going forward has been critical to the Crows being the second-highest scoring team in the AFL.

In 2016, he sits in the top 40 for centre clearances, score involvements and inside 50s.

Lyons didn't even make the list?!

I don't know what time frame they use to arrive at those ranking points but as of right now there is no way that reflects the order imo.

This reflects my bias towards Brad Crouch but if I had to pick them one by one to play on my team as midfielders my current order would be

1. Sloane
2. B Crouch
3. Lyons
4. M Crouch
5. Thompson
6. Douglas

I think the balance of our side would look better by removing someone on this list and replacing them with some who can run, carry, kick better.

upload_2016-7-26_10-33-38.png

I don't know what time frame they use to arrive at those ranking points but as of right now there is no way that reflects the order imo.

This reflects my bias towards Brad Crouch but if I had to pick them one by one to play on my team as midfielders my current order would be

1. Sloane
2. B Crouch
3. Lyons
4. M Crouch
5. Thompson
6. Douglas

I think the balance of our side would look better by removing someone on this list and replacing them with some who can run, carry, kick better.

It's cos he's Mid/Forward he didn't appear first.

Timeframe is last 40 games. Lyons hasn't played that many yet, so is behind the 8 ball anyway.

1. Sloane
2. B Crouch
3. Lyons
4. M Crouch
5. Thompson
6. Douglas

last 40 games played..... It is a long term average and does not effectively rate a current rank were form drops or new players rise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back