Free Agency Jarryd Lyons [joins Brisbane as a delisted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyons is a great pick up for nothing and most likely plays as the Beams replacement but why did the Suns delist him in the first place
Nah, he has nowhere near the outside game of Dayne Beams and is a very ordinary kick under any pressure, the only part of his game even close to Dayne is his inside clearance work. Dayne Beams way more class and versatility.

Nah, he has nowhere near the outside game of Dayne Beams and is a very ordinary kick under any pressure, the only part of his game even close to Dayne is his inside clearance work. Dayne Beams way more class and versatility.
Brisbane already has the outside class though in McCluggage and Cutler Lions need the inside grunt of Neale and Lyons so He's the perfect player for the Lions

Even if we didn't love all of Jarryd's attributes and weren't planning on regularly playing him I am not thrilled we delisted him because
a. he could have been played as a forward
b. he would have provided depth and obviously not the worst option to bring in if we catch the injury bug
c. at least we could have traded him?!

In saying that, people only see his stats and his work with ball in hand.
Have a look at this clip.
This is us vs. Carlton at home - the week after we just beat Sydney. The momentum is with Carlton but Bowes kicked a goal, then silvagni got one. We're about 20 points behind setting up for a defensive stoppage.
The front on shot (looking out from goals) shows Lyons marking Matthew Wright at the top left, you see Wright pushes off, Lyons stumbles (after Cripps shoves him in the back) but then doesnt chase at all. Camera changes (looking from the wing) and Wright is waltzing free into the goal square, ball gets to him, he kicks a goal, can see Lyons jogging into screen 10+ metres behind. At the end of the play he throws his hands up in the air.. but this is purely on him.

Happened right in front of me and it was abysmal defensive effort when we were really at do or die stage in the game. Why I searched it out after I watched the highlights the following day.
These are the types of things that the coaching staff couldn't stand.. that people who watch on TV don't really see or appreciate.
He's got many good attributes to his game, no doubt, but there are also some significant negatives too.

Ps do yourself a favour and don't watch the rest video - its ugly viewing.

Last edited:
Even if we didn't love all of Jarryd's attributes and weren't planning on regularly playing him I am not thrilled we delisted him because
a. he could have been played as a forward
b. he would have provided depth and obviously not the worst option to bring in if we catch the injury bug
c. at least we could have traded him?!

In saying that, people only see his stats and his work with ball in hand.
Have a look at this clip.
This is us vs. Carlton at home - the week after we just beat Sydney. The momentum is with Carlton but Bowes kicked a goal, then silvagni got one. We're about 20 points behind setting up for a defensive stoppage.
The front on shot (looking out from goals) shows Lyons marking Matthew Wright at the top left, you see Wright pushes off, Lyons stumbles (after Cripps shoves him in the back) but then doesnt chase at all. Camera changes (looking from the wing) and Wright is waltzing free into the goal square, ball gets to him, he kicks a goal, can see Lyons jogging into screen 10+ metres behind. At the end of the play he throws his hands up in the air.. but this is purely on him.

Happened right in front of me and it was abysmal defensive effort when we were really at do or die stage in the game. Why I searched it out after I watched the highlights the following day.
These are the types of things that the coaching staff couldn't stand.. that people who watch on TV don't really see or appreciate.
He's got many good attributes to his game, no doubt, but there are also some significant negatives too.

Ps do yourself a favour and don't watch the rest video - its ugly viewing.

this will be an interesting story next season. Lyon brings to table what Lions are desperate for, clearance and inside work. If he does the grunt and gives first use to our players, we can provide the finish to make footy look fun for him again. Lyons has the incentive to go the extra mile, as we'll play him in his most comfortable position - letting him find the footy for the rest.

It’s my understanding that basically all recruits from trade and draft were all given lucrative contracts from get-go. Brodie, Ainsworth and Bowes supposedly on 350-400k apiece already, Weller supposedly on beyond 700k.

It’s going to take a while to sort all this out.

It could be fixed in one off-season if the AFL abolished the salary cap floor. Forcing clubs like Carlton and GC to pay 95% of the cap is crazy! The same problem will persist when this year’s 1st rounders get paid massive overs because under the AFL’s ridiculous rules someone has to get it.

I doubt Lyons does much of anything at the Lions because even the absolute worst sides have someone that manages to get the ball. When they have others to shoulder the burden they fall back to the pack and in this case his weak areas are likely to be exposed. It’s still worth it for the Lions I just wouldn’t expect much from him because Fagan seems the type to be even more red hot on the foibles in his game than Dew!

no player is perfect. Lyons strength easily covers his weakness, he'd potentially get a game at a top 4 side too. It's getting really worrying for Gold Coast, not because of their performance this year, but more due to a severe lack of management at the top end. you can have all the resources you want but if the club is ran by a bunch of monkeys you're going nowhere

Did he s**t in Stewie Dews lunch or something?

Delist Lyons but recruit Horlin-Smith, Miles, Corey Ellis and 3 state leaguers :rolleyes:

Maybe he ate Dews lunch.

Interesting to know why they’ve delisted him. Also despite seemingly being one of their top performers didn’t make top 10 in best and fairest. Even missing 3 games he should have been top 10.

Lyons is good at what he does. If you haven't got a spot for him the way he plays then you drop him and don't rate his games via your b&f voting. I think Dew wants him to be faster and spread harder, but it's not really his go. He definitely has poor efficiency but his k:h is pretty high for an inside contested player. I think it's as simple as Dew not seeing him as a playing type that has a place in his 22. Timing was interesting though and perhaps after all the dust had settled and GC were chewing on the idea of swapping out 2 or 3 for more first rounders they realised they needed to open up a list spot. If Dew didn't plan on playing him anyway, they lose nothing. I really think it's more about Dew's inability to adjust his expectations based on where his list is at and accept that he's not going to be able to put his perceived structure onto the field for a couple of years yet. They'll be getting some talent in this year without doubt, but they're going to all sorts of shitful and you have to wonder how many will stay when they're consistently on the end of beltings. Players that will stay under those circumstances aren't the ones that are going to take you anywhere. By definition, the ones that leave are the ones you needed to keep.

Lyons is good at what he does. If you haven't got a spot for him the way he plays then you drop him and don't rate his games via your b&f voting. I think Dew wants him to be faster and spread harder, but it's not really his go. He definitely has poor efficiency but his k:h is pretty high for an inside contested player. I think it's as simple as Dew not seeing him as a playing type that has a place in his 22. Timing was interesting though and perhaps after all the dust had settled and GC were chewing on the idea of swapping out 2 or 3 for more first rounders they realised they needed to open up a list spot. If Dew didn't plan on playing him anyway, they lose nothing. I really think it's more about Dew's inability to adjust his expectations based on where his list is at and accept that he's not going to be able to put his perceived structure onto the field for a couple of years yet. They'll be getting some talent in this year without doubt, but they're going to all sorts of shitful and you have to wonder how many will stay when they're consistently on the end of beltings. Players that will stay under those circumstances aren't the ones that are going to take you anywhere. By definition, the ones that leave are the ones you needed to keep.

Agree with your assessment of Dew's opinion on Lyons and the reason he was delisted
However, disagree with a few things you've said.

1. There is a lost opportunity cost by just delisting him. There was the opportunity of trading him for a future second round pick that someone would have coughed up - who knows what happens in the next 12 months, that may have proved very handy.
2. Richmond finished 16th twice (with 11 wins over 2 seasons) and then 12th twice in the few years after Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards were all drafted. (Martin + Asbury missed one of the 16th finishes)

I know people think we'll struggle to win a single game next year but I think we'll be better than people expect (obviously still s**t) but maybe 4-5 wins.

Not sure that I agree the players that stay through the tough times aren't by definition the right ones to ultimately achieve success.
There will be a lot of casualties but don't think its unreasonable for us to hope that some of the Ainsworth, Martin, Wright, Brodie, Fiorini + (Lukosius, Rozee, Caldwell + our own + Lions 2019 first rounder picks ) group end up the core who actually are winning regularly in 3-4 years and possibly contending in 6-7 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with your assessment of Dew's opinion on Lyons and the reason he was delisted
However, disagree with a few things you've said.

1. There is a lost opportunity cost by just delisting him. There was the opportunity of trading him for a future second round pick that someone would have coughed up - who knows what happens in the next 12 months, that may have proved very handy.
2. Richmond finished 16th twice (with 11 wins over 2 seasons) and then 12th twice in the few years after Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards were all drafted. (Martin + Asbury missed one of the 16th finishes)

I know people think we'll struggle to win a single game next year but I think we'll be better than people expect (obviously still s**t) but maybe 4-5 wins.

Not sure that I agree the players that stay through the tough times aren't by definition the right ones to ultimately achieve success.
There will be a lot of casualties but don't think its unreasonable for us to hope that some of the Ainsworth, Martin, Wright, Brodie, Fiorini + (Lukosius, Rozee, Caldwell + our own + Lions 2019 first rounder picks ) group end up the core who actually are winning regularly in 3-4 years and possibly contending in 6-7 years.
Unfortunately, it's very taxing for any passionate, competitive person to stick around a club that's perpetually terrible as opposed to a club that's simply going through a temporary bad patch. At the moment, I don't think we're successfully selling that we're on the rise (despite the names you bring up, it's all very 'yeah, let's see who's left at the end of next year'). I don't think the Suns will fold, but I am reasonably certain we're going to be hopeless on-field for decades.

Unfortunately, it's very taxing for any passionate, competitive person to stick around a club that's perpetually terrible as opposed to a club that's simply going through a temporary bad patch. At the moment, I don't think we're successfully selling that we're on the rise (despite the names you bring up, it's all very 'yeah, let's see who's left at the end of next year'). I don't think the Suns will fold, but I am reasonably certain we're going to be hopeless on-field for decades.
Pretty defeatist. I don’t agree.
Yes if we come last 6 years in a row that’s a different story but I don’t think that’ll happen.

Yes if we come last 6 years in a row that’s a different story but I don’t think that’ll happen.

Not sure why it popped into my mind but could a potential #1 pick get a medical exemption from being drafted to the Gold Coast on the basis that he was psychologically unsuited to constant losing / it would be bad for his health and wellbeing?

Not sure why it popped into my mind but could a potential #1 pick get a medical exemption from being drafted to the Gold Coast on the basis that he was psychologically unsuited to constant losing / it would be bad for his health and wellbeing?
Well I would assume you would not be suited to professional sports then...

Well I would assume you would not be suited to professional sports then...

Or alternatively if you had a condition that meant you could not fly - no that is not an equivalent example as a club could still take you as long as they knew you were only playing home games and ones you could get to by train etc in a timely fashion.

Has anyone moved on citing sick of losing and no sign of anything but losing in the future and I can't live like that as their reason?

Or alternatively if you had a condition that meant you could not fly - no that is not an equivalent example as a club could still take you as long as they knew you were only playing home games and ones you could get to by train etc in a timely fashion.

Has anyone moved on citing sick of losing and no sign of anything but losing in the future and I can't live like that as their reason?
Polec, Elliot Yeo , Aish, Sam Docherty?

The thing that really confuses me is that they've basically replaced Lyons with Anthony Miles, a very similar but clearly inferior player.

Honestly, I was pretty positive up until Lynch and May left. It was my belief that we had a decent spine and only needed to draft a number of small role-players to fix our list and become competitive (with a sprinkling of genuine talent thanks to top draft picks). We're now left with a bunch of talented smalls with an extremely lacklustre spine. The last bit of positive energy I got left is that Rory Thompson had his best year yet (easily had a better year than May), but that hinges on this year not just being a purple patch for him.

And Barlow with GHS.
Barlow was cooked.
'clearly no one else had any interest in him.

Don't know as much about GHS so can't make the comparison.. but Barlow wasn't a legitimate AFL player any longer unfortunately. ..Yes I know he got 35 possessions or something last match of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back