Toast Jarryd Roughead joins St Kilda for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's especially important to have premiership-winning players around the club, like a Billy Slater or a Jarryd Roughead. I've long thought that the Saints long-standing premiership drought has perhaps caused a losing, or an "everything's against us, we're so unlucky" mindset which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Getting players who have gone the whole way multiple times I think is a great way to really establish a vibrant, winning culture around the club, so I'm really pleased.

Last edited:

I think it's especially important to have premiership-winning players around the club, like a Billy Slater or a Jarryd Roughead. I've long thought that the Saints long-standing premiership drought has perhaps caused losing, or an "everything's against us, we're so unlucky" mindset which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Getting players who have gone the whole way multiple times I think is a great way to really establish a vibrant, winning culture around the club, so I'm really pleased.

Which is why I’ve been so big on Hanners as well, despite his shocker of a year. Guys of their caliber raise standards, they know what needs to be done because they’ve done it before.
I’ve been pretty low on the club the last few years, but there has been some very inspired additions over the last two. Slater was, in my opinion, a huge get. And to target Roughie and bring him in is just huge.

Which is why I’ve been so big on Hanners as well, despite his shocker of a year. Guys of their caliber raise standards, they know what needs to be done because they’ve done it before.
I’ve been pretty low on the club the last few years, but there has been some very inspired additions over the last two. Slater was, in my opinion, a huge get. And to target Roughie and bring him in is just huge.
Yeah Hanners is another good example that I forgot. As long as he can remain on the park, his back few games were probably better than anything he produced at the Swans in 2017/18, so hopefully, he can remain fit.

arryd Roughead joins St Kilda in an off-field role for the 2020 season and beyond
St Kilda continues to make moves this off-season, with the club securing four-time premiership Hawk Jarryd Roughead’s services in an off-field role. Find out exactly what he will be doing.
Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
September 1, 2019 1:24pm
Close

FOXSPORTS3:13
Bombers prepare for premiers
AFL: Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish opens up on the Bombers' preparation ahead of their Finals clash with reigning pre...

MORE IN SPORT

NRL warning: Security could cost Manly a home final

‘Ignored’ Snowden fillies primed to spring surprise

140kg cricket giant breaks new ground

similars

St Kilda has won the race to secure Jarryd Roughead’s services for an off-field role next season.
Roughead has been a highly sought after target among multiple clubs who were keen to get the four-time premiership Hawk on board after he announced his retirement.
The Herald Sun reported in June that Roughead was being targeted by the Saints, with the club hoping to tap into his expertise in coaching, leadership and list management duties.
Stream every match of the 2019 Toyota AFL Finals Series before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
“I’m looking forward to working across the football program and with a really talented young group of players, and contributing where I can to their development,” Roughead said.
“St Kilda presented an appealing role and have a very clear direction in where they want to take the club over the next few years.
“I’m looking forward to getting started and thank them for the opportunity.”
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST

Roughead has agreed to a three year deal with St Kilda and will begin working with the club in November.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Every Australian game of the FIBA Basketball World Cup LIVE Find out more
“His football resume speaks for itself and it will be incredibly valuable to tap into his knowledge and experience as we continue to strengthen our football program,” general manager of football Simon Lethlean said.
“Given the demand for his services, we are obviously thrilled that Roughy has chosen the Saints as the club where he wants to take the first step in the next phase of his football career.”
Jarryd Roughead has joined the Saints. Picture: AAP Images
Jarryd Roughead has joined the Saints. Picture: AAP Images
“He will add huge value to a number of areas in our program, supporting James Gallagher in list management and recruiting, while also playing a key role in developing our young leaders to help drive the standards that are required to win premierships.
“As one of the game’s best key forwards over the past 15 years, we will also utilise his knowledge to support our coaching group, where he will work with our talented young key position players to develop their craft.”
Sacked_Promo_650_90_V2.png
3f1b5159dd0008ed26d82babe23bbeae

COMMENTS

Show comments

DECODING BABY- SKINCARE INGREDIENTSSPONSORED

MY NEWS

Being that his main remit is to assist Gags in managing the list, I'd love to get his thoughts on our current players, which he'd keep and which he'd trade.

Strange area of coaching for a player to get started in, speaks to a longer term strategic mindset rather than the immediacy of gameplan-based coaching.

List management
Leadership and standards
Skills development

Three areas this club has suffered a severe downturn in recent years.

Great work by the club getting a young modern personality from a winning culture involved. Great mates with Nick Riewoldt too, so he'd probably know more about the club than the average dickhead ex-player who looks down on us in ignorance.

Let's hope Gubby can give Roughy the benefit of his years of behind the scenes fixing and dealmaking, maybe introduce him to his network.

I'm already a hell of a lot more excited about the future than I was after r23, hope it's a sign of a big era coming and not another false prophet (please Roughy, no bollocks about what Yabby whispered to you on his deathbed)

The Rough to his new Saints Colleagues and the playing group: "Look I might be the called The Rough and might play Rough, but I just want to let you all know that when I get down to Moorabbin I won’t just ram it home, you know - i’ll be gentle. I want you guys to know that i’ll lube it up and ease it in there, inch by inch, like a gentleman." - Danny Frawleys Golden Fist has been replaced.

All jokes aside well done to the Big Fella, his family and the St Kilda FC on the next stage in the journey of what hopefully will be a long long long healthy, happy and successful life post playing career. He is definitely one person who is easy to admire and fall in love in with regardless of the football.

I haven't shared this even on our board but my wife had a fair bit to do with advising his Cancer Team, Grant Mcarthur and Donna Milne, when he was under going treatment at Peter Mac. So to see him shine when our family was fully and intimately across just how bad things were and what a miracle it was makes it all the better when you see his daughter, his marriage and when things like this happen - things that by all the odds probably shouldn't have.

So look after the boy - he 's yours now. Thanks for the memories Blood Nut!!!

Last edited:
That's a fantastic signing for you blokes! Surely Ratten is going to be announced soon?

No doubt he joined knowing Ratten would be the senior coach , strange they have not announced Ratten yet.

Retired Hawthorn greats love signing up where the ex-Hawk assistants go. Sam Mitchell with Simpson, Hodge and Fagan, Roughead and Rats. Too bad Lewis didn't bring a better coach along for us! Also the last 3 flags are all Ex-Hawthorn coaching staff, with Brisbane looking in good form and GWS hanging out in finals the last 4 years. Hopefully bodes well for you, deserve some respite from these lean years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's especially important to have premiership-winning players around the club, like a Billy Slater or a Jarryd Roughead. I've long thought that the Saints long-standing premiership drought has perhaps caused a losing, or an "everything's against us, we're so unlucky" mindset which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Getting players who have gone the whole way multiple times I think is a great way to really establish a vibrant, winning culture around the club, so I'm really pleased.

We don’t use that word here any more.

If you ever get the chance, have a look at Russell Greene’s “Open Mike” interview. Well worth as an insight into the difference between Hawks & Saints - at least in the days of Greene anyway. It’s great to hear him talk about the different attitude to winning and losing at the two clubs.

I’d honestly be happy to see the Sainters get some September success - except at our expense ;)

Strange area of coaching for a player to get started in, speaks to a longer term strategic mindset rather than the immediacy of gameplan-based coaching.

Yeah, I thought I’d read a quote from him talking about how he doesn’t expect to be a coach, he’s aiming for list management or similar.

Yes, a good get.

But I cznt see how we let our own champions go to other clubs and make no effort to acquire them.

I've always felt it helps development to not have a champion transition instantly into a coaching (or off field role) with the club they made their name with.
I think time spent away from the environment they'd been in for so long is better for everyone. I think it's a positive to bring in fresh eyes to look at things from a new perspective.

100% there Sheepey.

From memory.....during the 2018 season when everything went off the cliff.....we had 2 people in the coaching dept that were associated with a premiership winning club.

Now we have several.

It wasn't until it was all getting very ugly mid 2018 that some poster detailed the background all of our coaching assistants…..I was horrified.

A great pickup…..I'm absolutely rapt.

I was getting my hopes up when he was spotted touring RSEA early Aug.

And now he's aboard....awesome !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back