Toast Jarryd Roughead Retirement/farewell game

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Jarryd Roughead has just recently retired at the seasons end. He may not be a Tony Lockett or a Gary Ablett senior. Dammit he’s got heart as roughie is willing to sacrifice his future to the young blood and Roughead had to fight with cancer in 2016 and to overcome it has said it all.

I’m hoping that the Bigfooty community can get together and celebrate this wonderful player on the weekend. P.S I’m not a Hawthorn supporter
282 games and 572 goals
AFL premiership player: 2008, 20132015
Coleman Medal: 2013
All-Australian: 2013, 2014
Hawthorn captain: 2017–2018
Hawthorn leading goalkicker: 2013, 2014, 2017
AFL Rising Star nominee: 2005

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Fantastic career. I hope Clarko puts away the hard line for a week and plays him against GC, for damns sake they are going to win by 90 points regardless.

People have asked whether Roughy wants the game, but there's no better way to say goodbye than to roll out one more time to get a win with his mates. Hope he makes the call too.

Good on him and i hope he kicks a bag and plays well.

Genuinely good bloke and he has been through a heap in his time you don't wish on anyone.

On ya Roughy and enjoy the moment champ. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
It would be hard to imagine a person who has meant more to a footy club than Roughy has/does to Hawthorn. He was a sensational player but his status at the club transcends even that. A colossus in one of the greatest sides of all time. Four flags and scored 70 goals in three of them, while booting 50 and winning 75 clearances as a forward/midfielder in 2015.

It's been a pleasure mate :thumbsu:

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Fantastic career. I hope Clarko puts away the hard line for a week and plays him against GC, for damns sake they are going to win by 90 points regardless.

People have asked whether Roughy wants the game, but there's no better way to say goodbye than to roll out one more time to get a win with his mates. Hope he makes the call too.
He is playing

Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Tigers. G.S.W
Gutted I can't be there :'(
Flight to Rome Sunday.
Thank you Roughie for everything you've given our club. Amazing player better club man and an even better person.

Enjoy retirement good luck with everything in the future champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Lovely fella. I met him about 8-10 years ago. As president of the local cricket league's umpiring panel, part of my job was to visit games, at all levels, to get feedback in person from the players, about how the umpires were performing. So, I turn up at this C Grade game in Leongatha and lo and behold there's Jarryd sitting there in his whites, with his team mates. By the time I got there he'd already batted, and had made a match-winning 70.

As the only seat available on the pavilion verandah was next to him, I sat there. We nattered for about 3/4 of an hour and he was a most interesting, interested and completely unaffected bloke. The reason he was there was because he wanted to have a game with his mates. He was such a nice bloke, he even laughed at my jokes.

If any example of his courage were required, his handling of the cancer episode is ample. His lack of histrionics when he snapped his achilles tendon should also have given us a ready insight into this aspect of his character.

The Roughhead name is renowned around Leongatha, with one of its main streets being named after previous generations of the family. I'm pretty sure there'll soon be a Jarryd Street as well. If you took note of how he was tutoring his opponent in that VFL game this season, he seems likely to be a great coach as well, if he chooses. So, he might not be altogether lost to footy.

FMD, I didn't even mention what a great player he was. One measure of this was when, later in his career, over a couple of seasons, he was prepared to share some of the workload in the ruck. It was all about team, and mates, for him.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Tigers. G.S.W
This hit in the 2014 GF :)
images.jpeg.jpg

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably up there with the most versatile players ever. Even more so than Goodes or Pavlich IMO.

Apart from full forward, he played for prolonged periods at CHB, in the ruck, and as a big bodied clearance midfielder. He could have made a career at any of those positions. Played particularly well as a second ruckman but I think Clarko didn't want his body getting banged up.

Won the Coleman in a flag year, kicked 6 in a grand final and slotted a lazy 75 goals in 2008 as a 22 year old whilst buddy was getting all the praise.

Just an absolute gun player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back