Toast Jarryd Roughead Retirement/farewell game

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Probably up there with the most versatile players ever. Even more so than Goodes or Pavlich IMO.

Apart from full forward, he played for prolonged periods at CHB, in the ruck, and as a big bodied clearance midfielder. He could have made a career at any of those positions. Played particularly well as a second ruckman but I think Clarko didn't want his body getting banged up.

Won the Coleman in a flag year, kicked 6 in a grand final and slotted a lazy 75 goals in 2008 as a 22 year old whilst buddy was getting all the praise.

Just an absolute gun player.
Wouldn’t go that far as being more versatile.

Why would you pick him if he isn’t currently in your best 22 and you’ve a chance of making the 8? Slim though it is, it’s a chance. He isn’t deserving of a game based on form. Doesn’t seem like something Clarkson would traditionally make the call on.

Not sure why it’s all emotional, not a current best 22 player.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
As an opposition supporter like many good players who retire his best football is a fair way behind him. An excellent servant for Hawthorn obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
See this is what I don’t get, you’re going to drop someone for him when he isn’t in form, then maybe drop him for the trip to Perth? Am I missing something or is someone injured?
Gunston pulled out last week in the warm up with hamstring soreness and Mitchell Lewis took a few hits and has a sore shoulder. Might be a few more sore bodies after the cold in Canberra too.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I doubt he would have gotten one if Hawthorn were seriously fighting for a spot in the eight.

He wouldnt have wanted a game if we were 9th on percentage.

To him going to other clubs - I cant see it. He still plays with numb feet because of the cancer drugs. He has media gigs, speaking gigs, and coaching gigs ahead of him.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You would be fuming if you missed one game because a legend of the club got a farewell match? This isn’t a final, it’s Gold Coast. Guarantee o brien or Mitchell Lewis or whoever it ends up being wouldn’t give two s**ts.

Exactly.

The only reason they would be sad is because they didnt get to play with him. Not because they were dropped from a game against GCS at Docklands at 4.40pm on a Sunday.

It shouldn't be understated how massive of an achievement it was to come back after a year off with cancer and still be serviceable. All heart Rough, whoever gets the big fella in an off-field role is going to benefit a huge amount from it.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You would be fuming if you missed one game because a legend of the club got a farewell match? This isn’t a final, it’s Gold Coast. Guarantee o brien or Mitchell Lewis or whoever it ends up being wouldn’t give two s**ts.

Assuming there aren't any convenient one week niggles to fit him in, you'd be disappointed to be dropped as any player would be for any game (they're not just going to pick a player at random to sit out), but it is what it is: Roughead has to play and a spot will open up again next week. And whoever gets dropped for him will recognise that it's probably only a one week thing and if they do their bit on the track and in the VFL, they'll be straight back in for West Coast.

If I was in their shoes, I'd probably be more disappointed to miss playing with Roughy in his farewell, than not playing against Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back