Universal Love Jarryd Roughead retires from the AFL - record your appreciation in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed that drive by that Ruff gave to Buddy in his presser

Clarko: it’s great they’ve all become great friends - all four time premiership players

Ruff interrupts: two, bud only has two

Clarko: oh yes, poor bud just the two

Roughy deserves to go out with another medallion around his neck - such is the caliber of the great man. That was a decent runner up though!

Love you Rough - thanks for everything you gave us.

Went down to the game tonight with my old man. Definite tears in our eye's after his last goal and his speech (though my dad hid it as cleaning his glasses). He truly was something special.

Missed that drive by that Ruff gave to Buddy in his presser

Clarko: it’s great they’ve all become great friends - all four time premiership players

Ruff interrupts: two, bud only has two

Clarko: oh yes, poor bud just the two

I also just about spat coffee on my keyboard earlier watching the pre-game tribute to Rough - Buddy comes on and gives this pearler:

"Oh he's very proud to be a one-club player, that's for sure. And that sums Roughy up as a bloke. He's a very loyal person, and he's stuck by the club."

To be fair, I love the Budwah and think players should play where they like. But it's a classic bit of tone-deaf delivery from the big guy, haha.

I also just about spat coffee on my keyboard earlier watching the pre-game tribute to Rough - Buddy comes on and gives this pearler:

"Oh he's very proud to be a one-club player, that's for sure. And that sums Roughy up as a bloke. He's a very loyal person, and he's stuck by the club."

To be fair, I love the Budwah and think players should play where they like. But it's a classic bit of tone-deaf delivery from the big guy, haha.

Just happy to get the four points.

Hats off to bud and hodge making the trip down

Who was standing next to Roughie in the rooms while the song was being sang? Doing my head in.

Think Roughie knows how much he is loved and respected by all lovers of sport. Champion bloke who will dominate in all he does. Thanks for the good times. Great episode this week on 'Bob' too. Good laugh.

Who was standing next to Roughie in the rooms while the song was being sang? Doing my head in.

Think Roughie knows how much he is loved and respected by all lovers of sport. Champion bloke who will dominate in all he does. Thanks for the good times. Great episode this week on 'Bob' too. Good laugh.
Grant Birchall.

It shouldn't be lost amongst all the retirement hype, that this bloke was a bloody good footballer over a long period of time. He played the game hard & fair whilst conducting himself with good sportsmanship, and never spruiking or big noting about himself..

He was no contemporary primma donna pissing and moaning all over the media about how hard his lot in life was, even though he had to endure a real catastrophic scenario.

He played like a man and he conducted himself like a man, which is something that is becoming a rarity in this day and age. This old school bloke would be proud to have Jarryd Roughead associated with my football club.

Two of my other favourite Roughy moments:

1. I think it was the Carlton shootout with Fevola - Roughy had kicked a huge bag but they had the chance to steal the game with the final shot; images of Rough standing on the wing with his jumper pulled over his head so he wouldn’t see the shot.

2. Can’t find the video (anyone got a link?) but there was a hilarious interview post-game where they grabbed him and Buddy but spent so much time fawning over Lance that Roughy just walked off. He’s a crack up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two of my other favourite Roughy moments:

1. I think it was the Carlton shootout with Fevola - Roughy had kicked a huge bag but they had the chance to steal the game with the final shot; images of Rough standing on the wing with his jumper pulled over his head so he wouldn’t see the shot.

2. Can’t find the video (anyone got a link?) but there was a hilarious interview post-game where they grabbed him and Buddy but spent so much time fawning over Lance that Roughy just walked off. He’s a crack up.
Always loved how Roughy never put up with the media’s s**t. If he was asked a stupid question he’d always call it out with his response.

I think of Roughy when I drive to my daughters place in Meeniyan every 2 weeks. I associate him with that peaceful country town of Leongatha This will always be a great memory

I saw that as a reflective comment from Buddy. I don't think he would regret signing a $10 million contract, but a part of him would have liked to have played his entire career with the Hawks with his life long mates.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how I could get a copy of that? It was a great tribute from mates, family, etc, and I'd love to see it again.

Presumably Roughead will play on for Box Hill. Big game this week against Collingwood at home - win it (or at least not lose) and the Hawks will be in the finals. Lose it and his career at the top level will finally be over.

Yep, so glad to have seen Roughy's last game.
Unless we make finals and some injuries in the forward line occur, we saw Rough go out in the perfect way last Sunday :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back