Universal Love Jarryd Roughead retires from the AFL - record your appreciation in here

Announced by Hawthorn earlier this afternoon:

After 15 years in the brown and gold, Jarryd Roughead will call time on his illustrious AFL career at the end of the 2019 season.

Roughead will be recalled to the senior side ahead of this weekend’s clash against Gold Coast ensuring Victorian fans an opportunity to say farewell before he hangs up the boots.

A Coleman Medallist, dual All-Australian and four-time premiership player, Roughead says the time is right to embark on the next chapter of his career.

“I’ve had an amazing 15-year journey with the Hawthorn Football Club,” said Roughead.

“I am content with everything I have achieved in my career to date and I know it’s the right time for myself, my family and the club.

“To play this great game for such a long time and to have experienced success like we have is something I’ll never take for granted.

“I want to thank everyone at the Hawthorn Football Club for supporting me through all the highs and lows. The bonds and friendships I’ve made will last a lifetime.

“And lastly, a big thank you to the Hawthorn members and supporters. It’s been an incredibly humbling experience playing in front of you for all these years.”

PS. I know that this is already been discussed in a separate thread regarding the decision to give Roughead a farewell game or not, but I think it worthy of a separate thread to acknowledge the massive contribution that he's made to the club over the last 15 years.

Please use this thread to acknowledge his contribution to the club and to relive your favourite memories of one of Hawthorn's most decorated champions.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Many thanks and all the very best to a champion hawthorn footballer and an even better bloke.

408460_ll.jpg

Last edited:
Coleman medalist during a Premiership year. It doesn’t get any better then that!

Thanks for everything you’ve given the Hawks Roughead.

2008: 75 goals
2013: 72 goals, Coleman medalist, All-Australian
2014: 75 goals, All-Australian, Runner-up Coleman medal, 13 goals in the 2014 final series
2015: 50 goals

Roughie

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2005
Above The Clouds Where The Sounds Are Original
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I joined bigfooty when I was 16 during Roughies debut season and loved the way he played, the glimpses of talent he showed early and inturn I created my username to show support to the curly haired ranga we drafted. Whether he played back or up forward he always had a crack. He had a deceptively quick first few steps, and whilst he had a good vertical, I almost felt more comfortable in knowing that Roughie will probably tap it to ground and crumb his own work for a handball off or a snap around the corner which he ussually Converted when he was at his best.

We’re all aware of Roughies battle with cancer.Though I think it’s still not appreciated enough by footy fans to know how far he actually came back from physically. I know a lot of the members who attend trainings and preseason trainings can attest for how much work he had to put in. He lost a lot of weight during treatment but it didn’t stop his determination to play again. The club eventually ships out hodge mitchell and Lewis. The outward leadership styles and missing their presence in general made Rougheads acceptance of a captaincy role that more endearing because it was a heavy task to uphold. Whilst it was a massive honour Roughie has said how he struggled in the role in his first season as skipper yet he pressed on to the best of his abilities and regardless imo was still the best choice for captain.

I can’t see us making finals and I don’t care for the slim mathematical probabilities to try back up our chances. But what I do know as a fan the joy I feel knowing I get to see Roughead run out one more time. I can’t wait to see my favourite player get a farewell game. And whilst we can sit from the bleachers and say what we would do if we were the coach, we have no idea on a base level on what he means to the club and the players who pull on that gurnsey with him this weekend! I am sure every player will come out firing for Roughie, and I expect him to fully have an impact!

Thank you Roughie for your service and the joy you brought me watching you play mate! Carn the hawks!

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
Term champion gets thrown around a bit too easily these days but Rough ticks every box and more to have earn’t that title .

Remember his first game and goal where he was still sporting a dirty mullet at the g against the Bombers.

His spring heeled marks on the lead early in his career.
That Hannebery tackle , the goal vs the Swans , lifting another level when Bud left .
Could go on and on and that’s even without going into his grace and courage off the field .

Have just told the better half she is looking after both kids this Sunday arvo , no discussion.
Can’t wait to see him off the right way .

Its been a pleasure watching him on the field over the last 15 years but it feels insignificant when you consider he beat cancer twice during that time and seeing him come back from it both times was the highlight.

Nothing but love for the big man and I wish him all the best in whatever comes next. He has been through the ringer and given us so much joy along the way. Brown & Gold forever 💛

Thanks for all the memories Roughy 🤧💛

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Right at the beginning of Roughies career I ran into him, Jordy Lewis, Zac Dawson and the big Bud at GPO in the city. Dawson was an A grade toss, the other guys were just trying to mind there own business and unwind and somehow I got talking to Rough at the bar, told him I’m a hawk member, and after I produced evidence in card form the big guy bought me a beer and had a bit of a chat with me. Just a friendly easy going bloke that has been an amazing servant of the club, and one of our greats that formed the fabric for 4 premierships. Thanks for the beer Rough!

Roughead is the sportsman kids should look up to, both in ability and attitude. His playing resume speaks for itself, but the way he conducted himself both in and off the field draws my enduring admiration. Truly a class act.

Thanks Rough, good luck in the future.

The numbers won't do Roughead justice, but let's summarise them here anyway.

Jarryd Roughead was drafted second overall by Hawthorn in the 2004 draft out of Leongatha and the Gippsland Power, the first of three selections the club had inside the top 10 of the 2004 draft (of course, the Hawks also selected Lance Franklin and Jordan Lewis with those selections).

Roughead earned a Rising Star nomination in round 19, 2005 when he had 20 disposals for Hawthorn against the Lions (a game the Hawks lost by 41 points).

After showing glimpses of his talent in 2005-2006, Roughead and Franklin formed an irresistible double act in 2007 and particularly in the drought-breaking premiership year of 2008. Franklin won the Coleman Medal in 2008, but Roughead was also a huge contributor in front of goals, kicking 75 goals after the Hawks finally settled on him being a forward after spending time in 2006 in defence.

Of course, 2009 was a let-down for the club, but Roughead still managed to kick 51 goals for the season, including a career high eight goals against Carlton in round 6, 2009, a game the Hawks won by 4 points after Brendon Fevola hit the post with a shot on the siren.

Roughead was reinvented as a forward-follower in 2011, but his season was cut short when he tore his Achilles tendon playing against the Cats in round 12, 2011. Arguably, the loss of Roughead mid-way through the season put paid to Hawthorn's premiership hopes, which culminated in a heartbreaking preliminary final loss to Collingwood. It wouldn't be until round 2, 2012 that Roughead returned to the season team and it was like he'd never left. Although he wasn't as prolific in front of goals as in previous seasons, he resumed the role of being a forward-follower to good effect, kicking 41 goals, amassing almost 400 disposals and having over 200 hit-outs, as the Hawks lost to the Swans in the grand final.

The need for Roughead to play in the ruck lessened in 2013 and he was a permanent forward, winning the Coleman medal in 2013 with 68 goals after the home & away season and kicking 72 goals for the season (including finals). He earned the first of his two All-Australian guernseys in 2013 as the Hawks, led by Roughead and Franklin, won the 2013 premiership over Fremantle. Roughead didn't kick many bags in 2013, but he was consistent, as he could be relied upon to kick usually one, if not 3 or 4, goals a game.

With his great mate Lance Franklin joining the Swans as a free agent, Roughead found himself the leader of the forwards at Hawthorn in 2014, becoming the focal point with the support of Jack Gunston, Luke Breust and Cyril Rioli (who was injured for much of 2014). Stepping out from the shadows of Lance Franklin at Hawthorn, Roughead kicked 75 goals to match his best ever season as he was a key plank for Hawthorn's second premiership in a row. He kicked six goals in the preliminary final against Port Adelaide and backed that up with another five against the Swans in the Hawks' demolition of the pre-game favourite (featuring his former comrade-in-arms). His efforts in 2014 won him another All-Australian selection and he also won the Hawthorn leading goalkicker.

Roughead played an important role in Hawthorn securing its thirst straight premiership in 2015, but the first signs of cancer made their presence felt during the season as he missed a couple of weeks to have a melanoma removed from his skin. Unfortunately, it turned out that the treatment was not successful and he was forced to miss all of 2016 while he underwent immunotherapy to deal with the cancer's return.

Of course, Hawthorn's failure to win a fourth consecutive premiership in 2016 heralded a change at Hawthorn, with Luke Hodge relinquishing the captaincy and Sam Mitchell traded to the Eagles. Roughead was named captain as he made his return in round 1, 2017 against the old rival Essendon. The Hawks missed the finals in 2017, but Roughead led from the front, kicking 38 goals and amassing almost 400 disposals in his first season back. He continued as captain in 2018, guiding the Hawks to a top four finish, but the Hawks did not play well in either final against Richmond or Melbourne and bombed out in straight sets.

Although he started brightly in round 1, with 15 disposals in the win over the Crows, it became evident that Roughead's career was in its twilight.

We salute a stalwart of the Hawthorn Football Club.

Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Tigers. G.S.W
Gutted I can't be there :'(
Flight to Rome Sunday.
Thank you Roughie for everything you've given our club. Amazing player better club man and an even better person.
Enjoy retirement good luck with everything in the future champ.

Thanks Roughy for all the enjoyment and highlights you have provided over the years, will be missed and always remembered as a champion of this great football club.

Go well, Legend.

I don’t have enough words to sum up what a star this bloke has been with all that he’s had to deal with.

Thanks Rough!

Back