Universal Love Jarryd Roughead retires from the AFL - record your appreciation in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughead connected with me more emotionally than any other player probably because we are the same age and I'll never forget how upset I was when I found out that he had cancer and how happy i was when he came back playing footy, even my mates who followed other teams wished Roughead all the best, thats what kind of person he is, he brings out the best in all of us so thank you Roughead your presence helped me through some tough times

jarryd-roughead-1.jpg

Roughie has done so much on the field in the seniors and survived so much off the field and provided an inspiration to many people, but I think my favourite moment was Roughie back in the twos, instructing an opposition defender on how to better perform his role... pure class. Love ya Rough.

Many thanks and all the very best to a champion hawthorn footballer and an even better bloke.

408460_ll.jpg

God, I miss all the blokes in this photo out there fit and firing together.... :(

Great memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life... thanks Roughy, you're an absolute star mate.

P.S thank you for laying out Floggerbery in the 2014 GF!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember to cheer the champ 2min into the 2nd qtr 🙂

Quite emotional watching that, and knowing it's the end.
It's no wonder we won 4 flags in the past 10 years, when we've got players like him. One of the all-time Hawk greats.
Thanks for the memories Rough!

What can be said that hasn't already been said by many others? A legendary footballer and even more legendary person

Thanks for all the amazing memories Rough

My favourite player ever to pull on the brown and gold; not only because I get to share a birthday with the great man, but also the fact he gave hope to everyone out there with fairly ordinary physical features

Jarryd+Roughead+Hawthorn+Hawks+Media+Session+T9l6Xg8m2hEl.jpg

The numbers won't do Roughead justice

It’s elite football intangibles that a champion person, premiership hero, and clubman such as Rough brings to the table.

And he’s a hero in every sense of that word. He’s selfless, practically fearless, and kills with equal parts brute force and kindness.

People often suggest that swagger helps makes champions. Like Hodge and Mitchell, Rough shows us that it’s more a modest but firm belief in god given talent, and hard work that does.

I have loved Rough’s career, his talent, his ability and bravery in the face of adversity.

But Ive also loved that he always took time to show care and feeling for the players around him. Guys like him help cement champion teams by their very presence.

I hope he kicks a bag. He probably just wants the team to win. I wish I could be there to cheer him out, and show him what his career had meant to so many people I know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the memories Big Rough!
Hannebery tackle in 14 GF
Big game player including big hauls in big finals
Coleman medallist
4 time premiership player
Legend of a human
All the very best in retirement big fella!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolute legend and champion of the club.

He embodies all of the values Clarko has instilled in the playing groups over the last ~15 years.

COURAGE - ENDURANCE - MATESHIP - SACRIFICE

He's overcome so much along the way that could - and have - ended the careers of other players. Coming back so strong from the achilles rupture, and of course fighting off cancer multiple times and still being able to return to playing at the highest level.

4 premierships, AA selections, a Coleman medal. He's just about done it all and his legacy will live on at Hawthorn and in the AFL.

I look forward to seeing the impact he has on the game in the next stage of his AFL career.

Hopefully we can see him off in style on Sunday arvo.

Thanks Roughy! :hawthorn:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back