Universal Love Jarryd Roughead retires from the AFL - record your appreciation in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Being 29, Roughy has been a star of my footy side for half my life. Knew how much of a star he was in 2008 when he had an absolutely brilliant season that was largely forgotten thanks to Franklins year from space.

The cancer battle and return only adds to the legacy of a wonderful footballer who kicked over 500 goals, could play in any position, played over 250 games and won 4 premierships.

Most memorable games include the 2014 preliminary final.
Beating Sydney in 2017.
The 2014 grand final booting 5 goals.

A true legend of our football club and the game as a whole. Thanks Roughy.

Great stuff big guy.

On an optimistic note, rough jnr looks very hyperactive. Good Signs

Will be in this centuries TOC not least because hes so versatile

Would be funny if clarko put him at CHB for the whole game

Rough is a humble self effacing legend who hides his intelligence behind a laconic facade. He is funny and has been an amazing footballer. Unfortunately his cancer battle hurt his body and he was not quite the same player after 2016. But he is alive, a father, husband and living legend. We will miss you.

Ps. Absolutely loved yesterday’s presser. Clarko reminded us all he is the best leader of men in the business. Also loved the sly chip he had at Buddy for not sticking around and playing in 4 flags like his mates Roughy and Lewis.

Roughie - a great player; unfettering servant of the club and an inspiration to someone a few years your senior. Apart from providing some of the best memories of being a hawks supporter almost back the the times they were called the Mayflowers, I owe you big time.. Your comeback from cancer helped my son deal with his demons and you will never know.. I top my hat to you and wish you all the best in your post-on-field career.. A true legend on and off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great player for the club, arrived when our team was in transition and retires as another transition happens, i remember going to training in 2005 when they still trained at Glenferrie and i remember seeing Croady belting into a young Buddy and Roughy making them earn their place, Croad would wrestle and beat them and this hardened them up for their amazing careers, i never would have guessed them to have such decorated careers, now i wish Roughy all the success in the next chapter of his career as an assistant coach at a guess?.

Thanks Roughie for giving my father and I 15 years of enjoyment and no end of success. All; the best for you and your family for the future.
I think I'll go Sunday, first game in nearly a decade. Be warned I am the KOD.

Rough is a humble self effacing legend who hides his intelligence behind a laconic facade. He is funny and has been an amazing footballer. Unfortunately his cancer battle hurt his body and he was not quite the same player after 2016. But he is alive, a father, husband and living legend. We will miss you.

Ps. Absolutely loved yesterday’s presser. Clarko reminded us all he is the best leader of men in the business. Also loved the sly chip he had at Buddy for not sticking around and playing in 4 flags like his mates Roughy and Lewis.
Which presser was this BO.

The term 'legend' gets thrown around a bit but Roughy is every bit a Hawthorn legend as the rest of them.

Now go and make some boys.

Yep

His on field career may be ending and he might not be at Hawthorn in an off field capacity.. ... he'll still be on Hawthorn duty making Hawthorn babies!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back