Jarryd Roughead vs Josh Kennedy vs Tom Hawkins

Between these three, who is the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins and Kennedy are better as forwards, but Roughead is the better footballer overall, he can play forward/ruck/defense, something the other two can't do. If Roughead went back to his old role at Full Forward, he would kick 55+

It's close but I'd say Hawkins > Roughead > Kennedy. A bit harsh to compare Hawkins & Roughead on singular games but compare their most recent grand final efforts - Hawkins should have won the Norm Smith and Roughead was one of the worst on ground.

Yet he managed to kick more goals for the year then any Collingwood player except Cloke despite coming off an Achillies injury.

Yet he managed to kick more goals for the year then any Collingwood player except Cloke despite coming off an Achillies injury.

Not sure how this strengthens your argument given our real lack of a second option. And not sure what it's got to do with the fact that Hawkins is a better footballer.

Roughead doesn't get even a third of the respect he deserves for his career so far.

Doubtful.

IMO, him doing his achilles effectively ended any hopes the Hawks had in '11. When he's in top form, I think he's Hawthorns most critical player.

He's hopefully going to get better again and be able to run a season fully out and be a dominant player but I think he's already shown us what his best is, which is better than nearly everyone esle. I don't think we can say the same for Hawkins and maybe Kennedy. There could still be some improvement in both of them yet.

Career so far, easily Roughead.

If I had to pick one, would be really tough between Hawkins and Roughead. Maybe Hawkins, just, with the belief that he could improve further. Roughead may well improve, but only back to what he's already been, imo.

Kennedy third.

This year I would say Hawkins, Roughead, Kennedy. I would like to have another look at it after next year though. This year Kennedy had no pre-season then a serious ankle injury put him out for most of the year before trying to come back for finals under done. Hopefully next year he can have a good crack at it and get closer to the top of the list.

Doubtful.

IMO, him doing his achilles effectively ended any hopes the Hawks had in '11. When he's in top form, I think he's Hawthorns most critical player.

He's hopefully going to get better again and be able to run a season fully out and be a dominant player but I think he's already shown us what his best is, which is better than nearly everyone esle. I don't think we can say the same for Hawkins and maybe Kennedy. There could still be some improvement in both of them yet.

Career so far, easily Roughead.

If I had to pick one, would be really tough between Hawkins and Roughead. Maybe Hawkins, just, with the belief that he could improve further. Roughead may well improve, but only back to what he's already been, imo.

Kennedy third.
Yeah, I know some supporters do genuinely rate Roughead as a good to great player for his career so far, but he's continuously overlooked when people talk about the good key forwards of today's age, and even his work as a small utility styled Ruckman.

I thought his season, coming off an achille's injury was fantastic for us, although he did have trouble later in the season with an ankle complaint.

Yeah, I know some supporters do genuinely rate Roughead as a good to great player for his career so far, but he's continuously overlooked when people talk about the good key forwards of today's age, and even his work as a small utility styled Ruckman.

I thought his season, coming off an achille's injury was fantastic for us, although he did have trouble later in the season with an ankle complaint.

Plays the Leigh Brown role twice as good as Leigh ever played it... Basically plays as a ruck at the contest, a midfielder when the ball is in general play and then forward sharing the tall role with Franklin, Hale, Gunston.

Roughy is a gun... and a good bloke to boot!

Hawkins has been a top 5 KP for the last 30 games in the AFL..

Kennedy is a long way off either..

I would take Hawkins ahead of Buddy. He'll kick 80-100 next year if he can maintain his form/accuracy. He's a far better kick and much better contested mark. Buddy is better on the ground, but his inaccuracy in front of goal is a killer.

Roughy is a flat-track bully who I would trade in a heartbeat.

I would take Hawkins ahead of Buddy. He'll kick 80-100 next year if he can maintain his form/accuracy. He's a far better kick and much better contested mark. Buddy is better on the ground, but his inaccuracy in front of goal is a killer.

What a rubbish post. :thumbsdown:

I have a feeling you're trying to jinx us.

First you predicted us to finish first on the ladder next year, now this...

Perhaps you're trying to suck a few in, but please don't troll here.

Shhh don't tell tell anyone. They're not ready to handle the truth ;)

As a forward - hawkins
As a footballer - roughead

Hawkins looks all at sea away from 50, but he's become possibly the most imposing forward in the game

Roughead is more versatile, and with the continual rule changes is becoming an even greater asset

Kennedy looked like he'd be good last year, but is yet to back it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Roughy is underrated and is the best of the lot because he brings more to the table than the other 2. Lets not forget that before Roughy did his achilles in 2011, he was just about the best big man going around. He was dominating. With a year under his belt since his injury, I expect a big year from Roughy.

I don't think Kennedy will get to the same heights as the other two but he's also been cruelled with injury recently so I may be talking out of my hat.

Roughhead
Hawkins
Kennedy

With a cigarette paper between them.

I went Roughy, only because he's a 'Gatha boy.

If Roughie could kick long bomb goals like Franklin he'd take this easily. Even then I still favour him because of his versatility despite Hawkins being the better pure foward.

Hawkins has been a top 5 KP for the last 30 games in the AFL..

Kennedy is a long way off either..
kENNEDY'S 2011 was as good or only slightly behind hawkins 2012. He kicked 60 goals that year and never went goalless, and almost 150 marks. Hawkins had a real breakout year this year, as Kennedy did in 2011 but unfortantely missed almost all of this year. Nothing between the two of them imo.

Hard poll. Rough head in a team like Carlton or doggies I think would be a 60+ goal forward. Or would he struggle more with the number 1 defender? I don't think he would. But it's still hard to say. Would hate to be in hawthorns shoes an have both Franklin and roughhead as kpf and have the luxury of throwing roughhead in the Ruck.

Hawkins I think is just gonna get better. I'd probably put him past toughie after 2013 if they both have similar years (not that roughies was bad Hawkins was just better)

J ken, well when he puts together a full season of good footy he'll be right with em but I wouldn't quite have him as high as te other two.

Hard poll. Rough head in a team like Carlton or doggies I think would be a 60+ goal forward. Or would he struggle more with the number 1 defender? I don't think he would. But it's still hard to say. Would hate to be in hawthorns shoes an have both Franklin and roughhead as kpf and have the luxury of throwing roughhead in the Ruck.

Hawkins I think is just gonna get better. I'd probably put him past toughie after 2013 if they both have similar years (not that roughies was bad Hawkins was just better)

J ken, well when he puts together a full season of good footy he'll be right with em but I wouldn't quite have him as high as te other two.
Good post but Roughead has played some of his best games with buddy out of the team.

also Buddy dosent always get the oppositions No.1 defender, he gets someone who can run with him and match him in the air and then they double team. Leavening the gorillas usually to Roughead.

Rough has the runs on the board. Great footballer.
Hawkins burst on the scene at the end of 2011 and surprised the football world with his rapid improvement. Gorilla forwards like him don't come around often.
Jk. Yet to see the best. Has a huge influence when he plays. Needs a big year and to stay injury free.

This year it'd have to be:

Roughead

Kennedy
Hawkins

Hawkins a bit out of touch this year..is he injured?

Roughead is in sensational form this year - has managed 50 goals whilst still playing as a utility for the hawks. Unbelievable effort by the big red.

I voted Kennedy but this season has changed my opinion. Roughy is reaching new heights with his game. Simply unstoppable at the moment!

Back