Rumour Jarryd Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give them Hadley,Wiggins,Hampson,Warnock and our first pick for him and throw Johnson,Anderson and maybe Joseph to sweetened the deal. like to keep Hampson but he can't get a game for us while Joseph position can be filled.

Enjoy your card. :thumbsu:

We just got rid of one sooky overpaid full forward.

We kicked 102 points against one of the best defences in the comp.

Why would we bother wasting our money, draft picks, players etc to get another underperforming "ego" into our club?

You want to head hunt someone?

Get me Silvagni.

.....and I don't mean Alex. ;)

Why would we bother wasting our money, draft picks, players etc to get another underperforming "ego" into our club?

Get me Silvagni.

:thumbsu:
Yes, also lets develop our own, we;ve got some young talent coming through, having said that, if it;s a reasonable deal ....

If he does leave, it will be to the Gold Coast. Unless you use the majority of the Million you have free on him in the cap next year.

he will go to a club thats gonna play finals and have a better future. with room in blues salary cap. swan will go after him. trust me, he wanted bradshaw failed. you watch he wont loose this one. we'll through everything at home that he will not refuse. the judd impact since been at the clun, mclean, warnock, etc wanted to come to blues to play along side the best in the business in judd. judd, murphy, gibbs etc, delivering the ball to roughead and have betts, yarran and garlett at his feet next to him. we'll be very dangerous next year if it happens. remember we are carlton what we want we get

I'm interested in reading the difference between short-sighted, simple thinking dills who don't want him based on his last few games. That compared to some with a bit more smarts knowing we need a KP forward and that Roughhead is a good one and very valuable. Would fit beautifully in our forward line.

If he does leave, it will be to the Gold Coast. Unless you use the majority of the Million you have free on him in the cap next year.

First time poster here, many year Carlton fan and member... I would not be surprised in the slightest if Carlton was willing to go down that path.

Clearly, the needs that we have right now (despite Setanta's performance against Collingwood) yesterday are at both ends of the ground.

The brains trust has finally figured out that a team will not take the ultimate steps required to win premiership football with Bret Thornton down back. It is questionable whether Jarrad Waite, one of my favorite players, has it in him to get back to the level that he played at previous to this knee injury.

We really need a key position forward who can be among the league's leaders in goal scoring and marking to win. As a Hawthorn fan you would understand and appreciate that Roughy's game is gamechanging in those two facets. Sadly, it appears as though your team is headed down the wrong path - at this stage (along with Adelaide) the two most disappointing teams of the competition.

I believe Carlton is in a relatively unique position in that they can compete with Gold Coast on the big contract players this year and offer the heavily front loaded contract that I expect them to be chasing players with.

Carlton could easily offer Roughy a contract in the vicinity of 3.2 to 3.6 million a year (8-900k per) without going over the salary cap.

The team doesn't have that many holes. We should also be in position to have a fair amount of trading strength for the first time in many moons in regards to our list.

I see Carlton making a big splash at what will inevitably be considered relatively cheap price for a key forward (Roughead, perhaps) and then going out and then trading 2 or 3 players and bringing in 1 or 2 players who are improvements at other positions.

In the end, Carlton truly are one or two players away from being a premiership team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get me Silvagni.

He's underperformed for a few weeks....a few weeks compared to a career. And the last sooky full forward kicked 190 goals in the last 2 years with near enough 50 tackles in each of those years. Not only that 102 points is not a real high score at all in a shoot-out especially when the other mob scores 155.

Ratten goes pretty well too. From bugger all to 10 wins to 13 wins and finals to a decent start this year with our hard draw and personnel change. Hasn't done much wrong since he's been here and adapting well to changes necessary since we lost Fev.

Whoa there!

But I get your point.

Reckon thats why the Gibbs deal is taking so long.

Factoring in what we have factoring in the Gibbs offer we will be left with just over 1.2 mil left in our cap (post-Gibbs).

The reason why the Gibbs contract is taking so long is Ablett Jr. Once that one is confirmed it'll clear the picture up considerably. If GC miss out on Ablett then we could conceivably have to up our offer to Bryce by an extra one to two hundred thousand per year above what he as of now is happy to accept to return to the Blues. That would eat into our potential space next season.

Back to Roughy... Is it surprising at all that Roughy is struggling and underperforming in the past few weeks considering the overall lathargic performances of the team as a whole?

As good as Fevola was for us over the past decade (final goal scoring tally wise) he couldn't turn lemons into lemonade without the team's overall performance raising.

Right now it isn't surprising in the least to see a key forward on what has been an absolute horror of a team struggling.

As Jim wrote, he has a history of playing good footy. I believe that we'd be getting that A grade football from him that he has displayed for the most part over his career. He's certainly talented and young enough that you take that sort of risk with him.

Factoring in what we have factoring in the Gibbs offer we will be left with just over 1.2 mil left in our cap (post-Gibbs).

The reason why the Gibbs contract is taking so long is Ablett Jr. Once that one is confirmed it'll clear the picture up considerably. If GC miss out on Ablett then we could conceivably have to up our offer to Bryce by an extra one to two hundred thousand per year above what he as of now is happy to accept to return to the Blues. That would eat into our potential space next season.

Back to Roughy... Is it surprising at all that Roughy is struggling and underperforming in the past few weeks considering the overall lathargic performances of the team as a whole?

As good as Fevola was for us over the past decade (final goal scoring tally wise) he couldn't turn lemons into lemonade without the team's overall performance raising.

Right now it isn't surprising in the least to see a key forward on what has been an absolute horror of a team struggling.

As Jim wrote, he has a history of playing good footy. I believe that we'd be getting that A grade football from him that he has displayed for the most part over his career. He's certainly talented and young enough that you take that sort of risk with him.

What's Gibbs contract have to do with Gaz jnr????? There's no chance in hell Gibbs would go to GC,if anywhere it would be back to SA.:confused:

Would you move to the GC for an extra 200-250 grand a year?
After moving from SA,struggling not having his girlfriend/family and friends around,getting settled here after a few years to up root and start all over again,leaving friends and family behind again??? Could never see this happening,another Melbourne teammaybe but not interstate other than his home state,SA.
And no i would never do it neither.

As for Roughie, yep, i'd take him

But i wouldn't be giving the farm for him, either

Sure, he's in poor form at the moment but he'll benefit from better delivery at Carlton and all the rest. The question is what the Hawks will want for him and who do we give away?

No doubt they'll want senior players, therefore who?

The way I see it, all our current mids are jelling extremely well together, so why disrupt that? Also, they'll want pace, I'm not willing to give up a Simpson, Walker or an Army for Roughie, along with another player. They want ruckmen, okay, who? If we offered Jacobs they'll probably want a high profile mid (not saying Jacobs isn't a player, but he hasn't proved that at senior level)

Lets see how Hendo & Carlos develop this year (and more importantly the young talls we have in the Bullants) before deciding to recruit a high profile forward - look at what the Bears lost in getting Fev, basically Kane Lucas, Hendo, and Bradshaw. Is that really worth it?

The best way for me to put the contract situation of Ablett Jr and other players coming out of contract is to take a look at the sports in the United States.

Players and their agents constantly compare themselves to players who have signed elsewhere.

For example, if Ablett Jr re-signs at Geelong for 1.1 mil over 4 years (4.4 mil total) then Gibbs and his agent, believing he is worth 90% of Ablett's wage will approach Carlton with a 4 year offer from 3.7 to 4.0 mil. However, if Ablett signs for 3.6 to 4.0 then Gibbs can only ask for 3.2 to 3.5 mil.

In the end you're right Gibbs may never go to Gold Coast. However, the contract situation does come into play because of the total salary.

I'll go on record, this early into my BigFooty posting life with the bold prediction that there will be a number of players at almost every team who are massively overpaid in the next three to five years as a direct result of the new teams entering the AFL.

I'll also predict that the premiership teams in that period will be most likely the teams who had the least amount of overpaid players and who managed their salaries right.

You get your accounting right in the next few years and you're going to be in an amazing position to capitalise.

True. My feeling is he will stay, which means Roughead will be on top of their list. He doesn't look interested at the moment, which is a bad sign.

Probably sick of playing second banana to Buddy, and also have to do the rucking duties. I get the feeling he'll stay as well, but he might just want a move, and to get out of Buddy's shadow.

I agree with the assessment on Roughy's reasoning on why he would leave the Hawks.

Time to create his own identity as the leading forward of a new premiership calibre team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back