Jarryn Geary Round 18 vs Richmond:

11 kicks, 10 handballs (21 disp), 5 marks, 5 tackles

612299_gp.jpg

612300_gl.jpg

612327_gl.jpg

612347_gl.jpg

612397_gl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda Captain Jarryn Geary is expected to be sidelined in the short term after undergoing surgery on a corked thigh overnight.

Geary sustained the cork during yesterday’s win over Melbourne at the MCG.

The 30-year-old was sent to hospital after experiencing severe pain from bleeding in the muscle post match.

Doctors elected to operate to relieve the pressure in the muscle and he is today recovering in hospital.

Geary will be assessed throughout the week before a clearer time-frame is established for a return to training.

St Kilda leaders open up on the huge impact Jarryn Geary has had on the Saints
LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

Brave Saint Jarryn Geary has helped lead his team from a hospital bed this week as he continues to recover from a severely corked thigh that required urgent surgery.
Geary has been constantly texting his teammates from Richmond’s Epworth hospital ahead of Saturday’s Adelaide clash despite a gaping 30cm wound in his right quad, left open until Thursday night to relieve the intense pressure.
Geary played out the game against Melbourne last week despite a goal-saving collision with Melbourne’s Jayden Hunt during the third quarter.

But his right quad — initially injured in Round 1 — began to swell alarmingly that night and he was rushed to hospital because of compartment syndrome.
Leaving the muscle exposed allows it to reduce back to normal size.
Hall of Fame member Terry Wallace, who suffered the same fate during his playing days, this week described the pain associated with such an injury as “like a heart attack in your leg”.
Saints officials and teammates were stunned that Geary played out the game last week seemingly unperturbed by an injury that would have left many other players sidelined.
With Geary not expected to run for several weeks and aiming for a return in the back-half of the season, they opened up about their courageous captain.

ALAN RICHARDSON, ST KILDA SENIOR COACH
Jarryn Geary is just one of those blokes who does “the right thing”, according to his coach.
There was the story of Geary stopping in the middle of South Road in 2017 to rescue little tacker Hugo who’d decided to cross the busy road on his bike.
It’s indicative, Richardson said, of a player who never puts himself first — including this week which has seen the skipper sending countless texts to his teammates as they prepare to take on the Crows.
“He will always put his team first. He’ll always put other people first,” Richardson said.
“I know the correspondence he’s had with his teammates … that’s just Geary and he’s had a week where you could excuse anyone for just thinking about themselves.
“He would have worried about (his wife) Emma and (toddler daughter) Harriet and who’s going to help Emma … and then pretty quickly he would have gone, ‘Righto, Seb’s going to lead the team for a bit now, and we’ve got a pretty young leadership group in there … what are they going to need from me?’.”

Richardson hasn’t been peppered with messages, but has called into the Epworth several times this week.
He tried a joke, at one stage, telling a surgeon straight-faced that he needed Geary on Saturday.
It didn’t go down too well with Emma, he laughed, “but timing with humour has never been my strong point”.
He admits Geary’s leadership qualities might have flown under the radar, particularly with “strong and influential” Nick Riewoldt at the helm of the team until Geary was installed at the start of 2017.
“It was a little bit hard to see those underneath Rooey, because of the influence that he had, and had had for such a long time, in a period where the club had won a lot of games of footy,” Richardson explained.
“Riewoldt became a leader of the competition, not just the club. Understandably, guys fell into line a little bit. And that’s OK.
“It was brilliant to be able to have Gears lead while Rooey was still here. It’s also been good for him to get the opportunity on his own.”

He’s a man of “balance”, Richardson and others say, a trait further enhanced by his own approach to the game.
“He’s a really caring person. And he’s also a really challenging person,” the coach said.
“He’s able to switch really quickly. If it is that someone needs some support, he’s very strong in that space.
“If it is that someone needs a bit of a reminder of the work required to challenge them, then he has no issues doing that. What makes it work for him is just the way he plays and the way he prepares.
“It’s one thing to ask a fair bit of others, but if you’re not doing that yourself … he’s brilliant in the position that he plays, he’d be the first to admit he’s not the best player in the team. But he is outstanding at the role that he plays for us.
“There’s not too many better small defenders in the competition. And he plays with such physicality and such competitiveness that when he then asks and challenges others to do it, it comes from a position of great example. So it just works.”
The Saints are “blessed” to have him, Richardson said, even though many outsiders might not know much of the 30-year-old.
“Leadership is about having influence on others and making other people better,” he said.
“I’m not surprised that people would look at Geary, because he hasn’t won a best and fairest. There’s other players that have been more decorated. He’s been chosen by the players, so he’s the right man.”

JACK BILLINGS, ST KILDA FORWARD
Jarryn Geary has been “massive” for Jack Billings from the moment he was drafted.
It was the end of 2013, and Billings was taken by the Saints with pick three — an 18-year-old straight out of scotch College and into the big time.
The pair forged a close bond that has only strengthened, with Billings among a large St Kilda contingent that travelled to Portugal at the end of last season to witness Jarryn and Emma marry.
“I remember when I got drafted to the club and I see every year when new players come in — he really welcomes you in and welcomes your family in and makes you feel at home,” Billings said.
“That’s something that’s always stuck out with me. In a footy sense, he’s got an amazing balance of supporting but at the same time challenging. He’s got really high standards, and I think that’s what you need as a leader.
“He never asks you to do something that he wouldn’t do himself.”
Billings was casually chatting to Geary last Saturday night, having defeated Melbourne merely hours earlier.

An hour later, the skipper was in hospital.
Billings and his girlfriend headed to the Epworth on Sunday, not realising the gravity of the injury until he got there.
“I still didn’t realise what had happened and how serious it was … he was able to have the wound closed up (on Thursday), and it’s a pretty big scar,” Billings said.
“He’s so brave. He’s very courageous and a fearless player. When I came to the club, while I got along with him really well and we had a lot in common, he was probably the guy you looked up to with the way he played his footy and went about it.”
He’s not the most flamboyant player or skipper, Billings said, but that doesn’t matter to him.
It’s about substance.
“Sometimes from the outside, people love to talk about the flashy things,” he said.
“But footy is a combative sport and he’s just everything that is. He’s so hard and courageous. When you come here, you realise how he goes about it and how much works he puts into his game and the example that sets for everyone else.
“Away from footy, he’s just a great role model and a great person.”

HENRY PLAYFAIR, ST KILDA BACKLINE COACH
Geary’s determination struck Henry Playfair early.
It was the end of 2017, and the former Cat and Swan had only been at the Saints for about a month as an assistant coach.
He thought he’d try a drill they used in Sydney — pitting seven attacking players against one defender.
“Every 30 seconds, the defensive team will get an extra player and it ends up even,” he explained.
“You wouldn’t usually get a turnover until maybe 7 v 5 or 7 v 6 and the numbers are pretty even.
“He (Geary) started off as the one, and they started moving the ball, and it’s how many goals you can score. It was incredible — he just got the ball back in a 7 v 1. Talk about mindset.
“My immediate thought was ‘Jesus, that’s different’.
“Most people are just rolling through trying to get a handball and wait for the numbers. His mindset is different. He’s a very competitive animal. That really struck me as a reason why he’s the captain. He doesn’t accept the norm, and he goes out and makes it happen.”
Playfair, who played 68 games between 2003 and 2010, reckons Geary “is a bit unsung”.
Not at St Kilda.
“He’s just been incredible,” he said.
“Even last year, it was a good learning year from him just to be able to continue to lead, which is very difficult when things aren’t going well. But he never wavered. He was the same person, said the same things and played the same way despite everything that was going on. It was a good sign of his ability in tough times to hang in.”
As for where Geary rates in the bravery stakes, Playfair — who played alongside the likes of Jarrad McVeigh, Jimmy Bartel and Tom Harley — doesn’t hesitate.
“He’d be up there,” he says immediately.

“Because he’s the not the biggest guy. He went to another level this week. In terms of toughness, it was a new level.
“The way he played, because it wasn’t just the one contest — it was four or five where he was willing to throw his whole body in the way of whatever was coming.
“I don’t know what it’s going to get to, but he keeps surprising us. It’s a real positive.”

DYLAN ROBERTON, ST KILDA LEADERSHIP GROUP MEMBER
Dylan Roberton knows he judged the book by the cover.
The Saints defender played 37 games for Fremantle before he was delisted and then picked up by St Kilda at the end of 2012, and knew a bit of Geary.
Once he arrived, he realised he couldn’t have been more wrong about the now-skipper they call “Gears”.
“When I was at Freo, you knew him as this tough sort of guy who you thought would be pretty boring as a person and wouldn’t offer much,” he smiled.
“He’s almost opposite. He’s not quite as annoying as Milney (Steven Milne) and (Hayden) Ballantyne, but he’s up there.

“The fact he’s a captain and he’s like that is pretty cool. He definitely keeps the energy up.”
Roberton, who has been sidelined since Round 4 of last year as he battles a heart condition, has learned first-hand how much Geary puts into those around him.
In tears after the Saints defeated Melbourne last week, Roberton had hovered away from the group with Geary making every effort to include his teammate in the celebrations amid emotional scenes.
The 27-year-old opted out of joining the circle, but said it proved indicative of Geary’s unselfish attitude.
“He’s been so good for me,” he said.

“We’re really close … but he’s just always thinking about how everyone else is going.”
A member of the leadership group, Roberton’s phone has been kept buzzing this week as Geary still has an influence from the ward, starting with the unexpected Snapchat of Geary wearing an oxygen nasal cannula last Saturday night and continuing with countless messages of strategy and support.
“He easily could have been feeling sorry for himself and you could excuse him this week, lying in hospital,” he said.
“But in the WhatsApp group with the leaders, he’s asking how we’ve been at training, what the meeting was like … he could be thinking about himself, but he doesn’t. And that’s why he’s so good.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/44ef71249782ad3e133451eb123bd406

Remove this Banner Ad

Back