Retired Jarryn Geary

Remove this Banner Ad

To measure mineral hardness, you refer to the Mohs Scale. This gives a list of minerals and their comparative hardness, so you can judge how hard a mineral is, in comparison to other known minerals.

Mohs.Scale.jpg

If we had a similar scale for AFL, the "Hard Men of the AFL Scale", the question would be, is Geary an 8, 9, or 10?

And who would be the all time player benchmarks for 8, 9 and 10 on the "Hard Men of the AFL Scale", that we would use to compare Geary against?

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-23/geary-takes-the-reigns

DEFENDER Jarryn Geary will captain St Kilda for the first time in an AFL match on Saturday.

The 26-year-old, who has played 103 games for the Saints since debuting in 2008, will assume the responsibility for the historic occasion in Nick Riewoldt’s absence.

Alan Richardson said Geary thoroughly deserved the opportunity to lead St Kilda onto Westpac Stadium on Anzac Day.

“We deliberately didn’t name a vice-captain at the start of the year so that we could potentially expose some of our other leaders if the opportunity presented itself,” Richardson told SAINTS.com.au.

“In the absence of Roo and Joey, David Armitage did it last week for us and did a great job. Jarryn is a very impressive leader who will do a great job for us."

2014 was Geary’s first year in the leadership group, but after breaking his arm in his 100th game in round seven, the former rookie-listed player has worked his way back to full fitness and remains an integral part of St Kilda’s defensive unit.

“Gears is very good when it comes to the example that he sets and the position that he plays,” Richardson said.

“He is also really strong with the way that he communicates with his teammates. He’s incredibly encouraging and supportive, and can be quite challenging at the right time.”

Richardson said he expects his entire leadership group to set a strong example against Carlton.

“They need to inspire their teammates with the way that they perform, particularly given our young group,” he said.

“They need to challenge and be strong with their communication and motivate their teammates.”

Geary previously skippered the club in a NAB Challenge game against Essendon in Morwell during the pre-season.

Riewoldt is expected to return to the field for St Kilda’s round five clash against Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-24/geary-backs-mccartin-to-step-up-in-nz

Acting Saints Captain Jarryn Geary back Patrick McCartin to Step up in NZ
JARRYN Geary has backed the young St Kilda forward line to stand up in the absence of Nick Riewoldt, and top draftee Paddy McCartin to make more of an impact in his second AFL game.

McCartin was a late inclusion for the Saints last Friday night after Riewoldt injured his left calf when warming up.

He had minimal impact in the first half but worked his way into the game and finished with nine disposals and three marks.

But Geary, who will captain the Saints against Carlton at Wellington's Westpac Stadium on Anzac Day, says the youngster will be better for the run.

"Hopefully he had a bit of a taste of it and this week he'll take another step forward in his development and play a more significant role," Geary said on Friday morning.

"Key forwards can take a bit of time. The opportunity they get they've got to take, and I'm sure Paddy will do that."

McCartin will be flanked by Josh Bruce and Tim Membrey, who have both shown positive signs in the three games this season.

With Leigh Montagna and Mav Weller also to miss with injuries, Geary said the New Zealand clash was another chance for some of the younger players to show some leadership.

Chosen by his peers in the leadership group to hold the official captain's role on Saturday, Geary said while he hadn't considered the prospect of it being a dress rehearsal for something more permanent, he was proud to do it on such a special occasion.

"I'm sure Nick would love to be out there ... but I'm really honoured to get the nod from my teammates and my coach to lead the boys out," he said.

"I just go out there and try to lead with my actions.

"We've got a few leaders that are out at the moment with Joey and Nick, over the last couple of weeks there's been a few of us that have had to step up.

"We've just got to keep building that foundation of good leaders, and hopefully in years to come we've got a good, solid bunch of us."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...o-be-one-of-the-top-dogs-20150404-1mef4c.html

There's a dog squad down at St Kilda. There are no Jack Russells, but there is a Jack Newnes, and a Jack Steven. Blake Acres has a pooch, so does Eli Templeton. Lenny Hayes isn't there any more, but he too is a dog lover. David Armitage joined the club just last week. But Jarryn Geary thinks his Hungarian Viszla Lilly is the pick of the pack.

"There's a bit of a competition as to who's got the best dog and who's got the worst dog," Geary says.

"Everyone at the club's into it now. I'd like to claim the title purely and simply because she's the best looking out of them all. All the boys have little dogs and I've got a big hunting dog. Mav Weller's got the most annoying dog, you can't take him anywhere, his dog's biting your dog."

The canine fad at Seaford was disappointingly fitting for both Geary and for the Saints last year, for them 2014 was a dog of a year.

St Kilda won just four games to claim their first wooden spoon in 14 years, while Geary - having finally established himself as a consistent backman and leader - was struck down with a ruptured ligament in his elbow after round seven and did not play again. Having just crawled to 100 games in his eighth year at the club, it was a bitter pill.

"Purely because of the fact we'd been losing so many games last year," Geary said in the lead-up to his first premiership season game in 11 months against GWS on Sunday.

"Previous times when I'd been injured I'd never really been in that position when we'd been losing. You wanted to be out there because you wanted to try and help."

Geary, 26, might not have expressed such proactive sentiments five years ago, but it was not because he was an altogether foreign face to footy followers. In the Saints' three consecutive top-four seasons of 2008 to 2010, he played 10, 15 and 19 games respectively. He was around the mark in a strong side, but despite those solid hauls could not scrape into the St Kilda team for even one of the side's 10 finals over those three years.

Critics on occasion lashed then Saints coach Ross Lyon for not promoting youngsters, but Geary lays the blame at his own door, believing he had thought the team's senior players would do the dirty work.

"I probably just sat back and watched a little bit, rather than go out and do things that I should have done off my own bat."

Lyon told Geary it was a lack of consistency that was holding him back, and the one-time rookie from Bendigo concurs, pointing to a stretch between rounds 12 and 14 in 2009 when in consecutive weeks his disposal tallies read: 6, 22, 4. "You can't go from that level to that level. Your bad game needs to be a bit closer to what your good game looks like."

Geary broke a leg early in 2011, but after returning from injury he came on in leaps and bounds. Before last year's elbow setback, he had played 56 of the last 59 games, and finished in the top-six of two St Kilda best and fairest counts. This will be his third year in the club's leadership group, a position he takes seriously given the dearth of 23-to-28-year-olds on the Saints list.

"We sort of feel like we're that link between the younger guys and the older guys. We feel pretty comfortable trying to be a shoulder to lean on for the older guys, and for the younger blokes we hope they come to us if they have any issues or need anything."

"Last year, because I wasn't playing I saw a lot more. I took that approach of helping out on game day in terms of going down to the rooms and telling blokes what I've seen and helping them play better and or if they needed a pat on the back.

"You normally have someone who's either quite loud and boisterous as a leader or someone who likes to lead by actions, and I'm sort of in between. If I see something I'll say something and if I think if I need to read through actions I'll do that as well."

With Brendon Goddard and Ben McEvoy both leaving the club in recent years, there is no heir apparent to Nick Riewoldt's captaincy. Geary is comfortable throwing his hat in the ring, but contends it will be the depth of leaders that holds St Kilda in good stead.

"I'd like to think Nick would do it for as long as he's around, just because of the calibre of captain he is and how he plays. There might be a stage where someone has to step up for a period of time. If that was me or Armo or Luke Dunstan, the main thing would be that we've just got a good amount of leaders under us.

"We need five or six blokes to really drive the club forward."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...al-best-for-stk.1096705/page-20#post-38511531

Just on Geary (MS, SS, you'll like this :) ). I watched the replay, and it seemed Gears was primarily on Dahlhaus. Dahlhaus is averaging in the mid-high 20s for possessions, coming off 27 against the Swans; he's had 5 marks three times so far this year. Against Adelaide, only a few weeks ago, he had stats of 27 possies, 5 marks, 1g2b, 6 tackles, 3 goal assists, 7 inside 50s.

Before Saturday, he had scored above 100 Fantasy points every game this year.

Against us, he was WAY, WAY down on a lot of his averages so far this year: 18 possies, 3 marks, 1 goal 0 behinds, 0 goal assists, 2 inside 50s.

And his Fantasy points? 64. Nearly half his usual output.

Gears smothered him, choked him.

I'm sad and happy to take on this role.

Just some interesting numbers.

Josh Green kicked 3 goals 1 behind in each of his previous 3 matches prior to taking on the saints.

Kept to one goal by Jarryn, and that was early.

Welcome addition back into the line up with Josh Hill kicking 4 and Eddie Betts 6 in his absence the previous fortnight.

Good calł bad call on footy classified.

Question was should Nick Riewoldt hand over the captaincy to Armitage.

Caro said she thinks Jarryn is the next captain in waiting.

image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another coaches vote to Gears this week for shutting down Dalhaus, again.

ᴊᴀʀʀʏɴ ɢᴇᴀʀʏ

Jarryn+Geary+AFL+Rd+17+St+Kilda+v+Melbourne+eugpB0YwxlMx.jpg

ᴄᴀʀᴇᴇʀ
ɢᴀᴍᴇs: 120*
ɢᴏᴀʟs: 21*

prior to season 2016

---

Geary played 20 games in 2015 and has played a total of 120 since debuting in 2008.

In Nick Riewoldt’s absence, he skippered the team against Carlton in round four, and then again in round 18 versus Port Adelaide.

Senior coach Alan Richardson was glowing in his praise for the hard-nose and versatile defender.

“Jarryn is one of the most respected members of our team, both on and off the field,” Richardson told SAINTS.com.au.

“He sets elite standards with his preparation and plays a ruthless never give in style of game. He thoroughly deserves this accolade.”

Geary was drafted with pick no.58 in the 2007 Rookie Draft. He averaged a career-high 19.4 disposals per outing this year.

The Robert Harvey Best Clubman award is awarded to a player who underpins the club’s values both on and off the field. This player has displayed a willingness to help out team mates and the greater community by his willingness to put the club first and do the right thing at all times.

---

Hello and welcome to the Jarryn Geary thread for the upcoming 2016 season! In this thread you will find news, photos, videos, and everything in-between for one of the most revered leaders of the St Kilda Football Club.

Last edited:
Experienced Saints leaders Leigh Montagna, Jarryn Geary, David Armitage and Sean Dempster have led the way during pre-season, as have emerging leaders Maverick Weller and Jack Newnes, who were voted into the group ahead of last season.

"We're in really good space with leadership. Sean Dempster had a real role in what the program looked like over Christmas. Jarryn Geary is a great example to all our players," Richardson told saints.com.au on Thursday.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-01-07/were-in-a-really-good-space-with-leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back