News Jarryn Geary announced as Saints captain for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh there have been worse players made captain and lead teams to finals. Good placeholder appointment, congrats JJ

Last edited:
People making comments like "the next Nick Maxwell" clearly have no idea, and are an insult to our club.

Pretty much everything you said applies to Maxwell as well. Think he is an unfairly maligned player/captain. He was never a superstar, but he could have walked into any team's back 6.

If you still doubt me (an have a strong stomach) then go back and watch the last quarter of the drawn grand final. Maxwell's potentially match saving mark could have been the difference between us and our second flag.

Think some people are confusing the captain's role with the percieved best players in the team. Captain's should demonstrate qualities of leadership, team first, experience, toughness, knowledge and be respected for their selflessness and sacrifice. Or do people just want the player that grabs the headlines.

Think some people are confusing the captain's role with the percieved best players in the team. Captain's should demonstrate qualities of leadership, team first, experience, toughness, knowledge and be respected for their selflessness and sacrifice. Or do people just want the player that grabs the headlines.
The very best captains e.g. Voss, Selwood, Riewoldt lead by example on the field as well as all that. Not saying it's a requirement of captaincy but it is certainly a consideration. It just so happens JJ ticks most of the other boxes.

Pretty much everything you said applies to Maxwell as well. Think he is an unfairly maligned player/captain. He was never a superstar, but he could have walked into any team's back 6.

If you still doubt me (an have a strong stomach) then go back and watch the last quarter of the drawn grand final. Maxwell's potentially match saving mark could have been the difference between us and our second flag.

I remember that.. no need to re-watch.. If only he had done what he typically did and spoil

The very best captains e.g. Voss, Selwood, Riewoldt lead by example on the field as well as all that. Not saying it's a requirement of captaincy but it is certainly a consideration. It just so happens JJ ticks most of the other boxes.
Yes but leads by example means a lot of different things. Lenny would have been a great captain and he wasn't necessarily the most skilled player going around but he was a brilliant competitor and did the inexplicably heroic stuff.

Yes but leads by example means a lot of different things. Lenny would have been a great captain and he wasn't necessarily the most skilled player going around but he was a brilliant competitor and did the inexplicably heroic stuff.
Really , it doesn't matter who they pick - they will have the support of all the players - Geary loves the club and gives his all.

I would have bet on it being Mav, but happy to back the club and playing group to make the right decision.
My only concern with Gears echoes the below. Unlikely but still food for thought...

Geary improved immensely last year but if his disposal drops back to the level it has been for most of his career then there's every chance that the young defenders in Webster/McKenzie/White/Rice/Long push him from our best 22 within the next year or two.

Love the geary call, for 2 reasons:
1.He's among the best in the AFL at his role. Not many would've been able to hold Eddie Betts to 11 possessions and 1 goal(33% of his average/game in 2016) in an 100 point thumping
2.The position of Captain is decided by the players, and by all accounts, he's as respected as Riewoldt by the group.

Really picked up his game from about round 6 onwards and i personally wanted him out of the side before that. He improved out of sight since the mid season bye and was top 3 or 4 picked each week for us.

Needs to continue playing like that from now on in. Just needs to shut out the best small forwards and dish it off to the nearest runnersbin sight. Looks the best when he keeps it simply without trying to create too much.
I'm with you DarkSaint....I personally wasn't 100% rapt that he was in the side for the first 1/2 of 2016 and all of 2015......but he was and he did his job...........as an earlier post said you had to take notice of his job on Eddie Betts in Adel....I thought....wow.

Does anyone know what Richo put in Gear's Milo drinks just before the 1/2 way mark?

His form improved dramatically from this point....all my crew and me couldn't believe it.....possibly a correlation between us starting to play better/win?

It appears that he is highly regarded among the playing group... twice about 1/3 of the way thru the season,2 Saints players on the Sunday Footy show on separate shows both nominated Gears(without hesitating) as the next Captain when asked who'd be next Captain.....I nearly fell off the couch both times....I thought..."what"

You just can't argue when he finished 2nd in the B&F behind Jack and in front of Roo....

I wish him well if he is Captain...you never know...this season may be better than 2016!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you DarkSaint....I personally wasn't 100% rapt that he was in the side for the first 1/2 of 2016 and all of 2015......but he was and he did his job...........as an earlier post said you had to take notice of his job on Eddie Betts in Adel....I thought....wow.

Does anyone know what Richo put in Gear's Milo drinks just before the 1/2 way mark?

His form improved dramatically from this point....all my crew and me couldn't believe it.....possibly a correlation between us starting to play better/win?

It appears that he is highly regarded among the playing group... twice about 1/3 of the way thru the season,2 Saints players on the Sunday Footy show on separate shows both nominated Gears(without hesitating) as the next Captain when asked who'd be next Captain.....I nearly fell off the couch both times....I thought..."what"

You just can't argue when he finished 2nd in the B&F behind Jack and in front of Roo....

I wish him well if he is Captain...you never know...this season may be better than 2016!
there was a turning point. it was obvious he started to provide an outlet and took on the game. prior to that he was just dour butchering everything and didnt offer much on the rebound. so whatever happened changed his role in the team.

Fwiw geary started playing better after round 5 or 6, not mid way!

Took me till round 18 to admit it but I still don't want him captain. I want him forced out of the team by better skilled players with an equal amount of drive. He, Dempster and Gilbert are liabilities by foot and hand under pressure and the sooner they all go the better.

Geary leads by example and doesn't take a backward step - he puts his body on the line time and time again and I can see why it could inspire his teammates to go harder and that's what you want from a captain

If he gets the captaincy it will also allow our senior and developing mids to concentrate on their game without the added pressure of leading the team.

Either way it's great to know that we have quite a few potential captains across all lines.

Seems like we are developing a far more rounded versatile team than what we had back 2004 - 2010 period - just need that little bit of x-factor

Partially disagree there, prime Lenny was one of the best players in the league and was capable of putting the team on his back and being a game changer. Geary will never be that type of player. Again not saying every captain needs to be a gun player, but the very best captains are.

Well no because it's a group vote that's still afew weeks away.
But the group would have that mutual idea already
What do you mean no? its a group vote on the individual players who make a play for it - with the coaches who get the overriding say. They then take it to the board who sign off on it.

Geary would be the favourite - but it could easily be a youngster with Joey and Gears as a co captain or a vice captain who takes a lot of the media responsibilities off them and let them grow in the role.

Took me till round 18 to admit it but I still don't want him captain. I want him forced out of the team by better skilled players with an equal amount of drive. He, Dempster and Gilbert are liabilities by foot and hand under pressure and the sooner they all go the better.
Writings on the wall, better get used to it.

Can't delist/retire everyone at the same time.

Love the geary call, for 2 reasons:
1.He's among the best in the AFL at his role. Not many would've been able to hold Eddie Betts to 11 possessions and 1 goal(33% of his average/game in 2016) in an 100 point thumping
2.The position of Captain is decided by the players, and by all accounts, he's as respected as Riewoldt by the group.

From what I have observed from seeing the players at events Geary seems to be very loved by a really large amount of players. Rooey is fairly removed from the bulk of players and doesn't seem to hang with them and in the larger playing group there seem to be plenty of cliques. Geary seems to span generations and groups. It will be interesting to see if the change in leadership style allows them to drop off or gets better buy in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back