News Jarryn Geary announced as Saints captain for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Partially disagree there, prime Lenny was one of the best players in the league and was capable of putting the team on his back and being a game changer. Geary will never be that type of player. Again not saying every captain needs to be a gun player, but the very best captains are.
That's my argument. Players that carry the team on their backs aren't necessarily the super skilled stars. Lenny's kicking was ordinary and has hand balling was ok but his ability to read the play, aggression and determination were 1st class.
Happy to disagree though and I get what you are saying, each to their own.
Gears isn't anywhere near the players we've mentioned but he is above the current other options in what imo is captain material. Jack S isn't your guy and Weller and Newnes may get there but right now Gears is imo probably the the best leader.

That's my argument. Players that carry the team on their backs aren't necessarily the super skilled stars. Lenny's kicking was ordinary and has hand balling was ok but his ability to read the play, aggression and determination were 1st class.
Happy to disagree though and I get what you are saying, each to their own.
Gears isn't anywhere near the players we've mentioned but he is above the current other options in what imo is captain material. Jack S isn't your guy and Weller and Newnes may get there but right now Gears is imo probably the the best leader.

Lenny's kicking was the opposite of ordinary

I bet if you asked the likes of Riewoldt, Gehrig, Kosi and so-on they'd say they were licking their lips when Lenny had the ball in hand and was about to kick it to them- on either foot.

Comfortably one of the best kicks of the footy for us in my 27 years following the club closely, as far as I'm concerned.

Would love to see a highlights package of his all-time best kicks. Would be something to behold.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facebook and all the other homes of the fair weather fans are going to go mental

This has been on the horizon for awhile now, we've all called it, I wish they pushed him into the spotlight a little more in preparation for the announcement

Not much wrong with Lenny's action... also hit up Roo with about a million 30-40m pearlers onto his chest. Underrated kick for mine when he got himself a few metres.

He didn't have an attractive kicking style but it worked, probably similar to Harves, wasn't a great kick on goal but very good at short passing by foot but probably a better long kick than Harves. His determination and will power are still the traits I think set him apart. Fairly tough when he used his body too...Kosi reckons Lenny could dish out the sledges to players and umps, Harves apparently loved a quiet sledge. You wouldn't have guessed it of either.

Geary is a darn good lock down defender. And he's goer. All the time.

Occasionally he's a butcher. He can make some clangers. But in the past 12 months he's tidied a lot of that up.

Observing him on the field it's clear he's a leader. It's not forced, but instinctive. He's ultra competitive, a talker and a guider. He'll point, pat on the back, yell, instruct and gesture. It's part of what he does, and it appears he's respected.

I've been critical of him, and have sometimes despaired at his shortcomings. But he appears (from afar) to have the characteristics to be a wonderful captain.

If the players want him then he is our man. It's clear he loves the club and bleeds for it. Rejecting that lucrative offer from Geelong in 2014 indicates that.

He's a St Kilda man through and through. The sort of man we want leading our club.

I bet if you asked the likes of Riewoldt, Gehrig, Kosi and so-on they'd say they were licking their lips when Lenny had the ball in hand and was about to kick it to them- on either foot.

Comfortably one of the best kicks of the footy for us in my 27 years following the club closely, as far as I'm concerned.

Would love to see a highlights package of his all-time best kicks. Would be something to behold.
Well in the 50 years I've followed the club I'd have to disagree with you on that arr. He's one of my all time favs but "comfirtably one of the best kicks" imo he aint.

would love this man as our leader

(love that handball from Billings at 1:30)

He reminds me of Paul Kelly who played at Sydney in the old days, just a hard nut who goes in head first.

While I am happy for Gears and think it will make him a better player I can't help wondering what happened to Armo?
It was clear the club was grooming him to takeover a couple of years ago with more media face time & photo shoots and then it all fell away.
There's a story behind that, something happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back