Past Jason Akermanis (1995-2006)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Akermanis admits departure from Brisbane Lions sparked by clash with former coach Leigh Matthews
  • Damien Stannard
  • May 30, 2012 12:00AM
"The year before (his sacking) I won the best and fairest and had a really good year," Akermanis said.
"We came out in the first round against Geelong and I remember distinctly having three players rotate through me and then I went on the ball and wasn't getting a rest. I could see that's where the game was going. Foolish me, in my column the next week I said we needed to learn and get better at it. That was a bad idea.
"I just pushed the wrong button. He took it personally, and he should have. There's nothing wrong with the reaction. I don't have anyone else to blame (but myself).
"The players were put in a bad situation. I clearly was getting stale and behaved badly and became a disruptive kid."
Akermanis also addressed the furore over leaking details of teammate Nigel Lappin's rib injury ahead of the 2003 grand final. "I couldn't even justify it. I can't understand why I would be so silly," he said.

7295066140_693933e66b.jpg

About time Aker.

Holding my breath. Every time recently when he has shown contrition (like he did after the premiership reunion) he quickly goes and spoils it again by saying something ridiculous and controversial.

Holding my breath. Every time recently when he has shown contrition (like he did after the premiership reunion) he quickly goes and spoils it again by saying something ridiculous and controversial.

Or adding "yeah but" to the end of it.

Yeah but nothing Jason.

Aker is playing for Hurstbridge this Saturday against Diamond creek.

I'm thinking of going along. think of him what you will but remeber he gave us a lot fo great memories as well

Sounds like Aker is trying to lose the Clown tag and will be trying to reinvent himself. Must be desperate times.

Sounds like Aker is trying to lose the Clown tag and will be trying to reinvent himself. Must be desperate times.

I hope it's because he has genuinely learnt his lesson, and not for ratings.

Because that would just be disgusting.

At least he acknowledged that the Lions had a good leadership structure when he was there.

...and that he could now see why Leigh reacted the way he did to Aker's coaching "suggestions" that he put into print in the CM.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe there is some genuine contrition there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You nailed it one TFB. He needs a job after the demise of radio station MTR back in March. Lets see how long it lasts!!!

You are not suggesting that you doubt the inherent decency, self reflective skills, sincerity and humility of our dear sweet Jason are you? :rolleyes:

Actually I reackon that if he *did* ever turn over a (real) new leaf he has the capability of being not only a decent human being but a valuable resource for the footballing community ...

I watched the interview and found myself vaccillating between Yeah, he's actually showing some maturity and conceding he's been at fault for a lot of the crap that has come his way or Nah, he's just saying what we want to hear because he's become a pariah to the media and is desperate to get his foot back in the door.

At the end of it I still couldn't decide if he was being sincere or not. I certainly hope he was but only time will tell.

Jason Akermanis says his hanger was the best in the history of footy
Daryl Timms
JASON Akermanis has described the towering mark he took in the Queen's Birthday clash between country footy teams Morwell and Traralgon as the greatest mark ever taken by a man in the history of the world.

The Brownlow Medallist has become a become a gun-for-hire and will play one-off games for 11 different teams across Australia and country Victoria this year.

See his grab at the 22sec mark

He also said it was hilarious, which was written at the end of the article.....he was taking the P... of himself and the big high flying mark.

Didn't land on his feet, ergo, not the greatest in history.

Landing on your feet ruins a speccy IMO.

Moorcroft landed flat on his back. Sure it ended his career, but it was bloody spectacular.

Landing on your feet ruins a speccy IMO.

Moorcroft landed flat on his back. Sure it ended his career, but it was bloody spectacular.

Meh, agree to disagree. If you can leap into the air, catch a ball, do a barrel roll in mid-air, land on your feet, turn around and bolt towards goal and kick a torp from 90m out nailing a goal that'd be pretty cool IMO.

Aker back in the fold
March 22, 2013
Michael Whiting

JASON Akermanis has been welcomed back to the Brisbane Lions with open arms at a function that celebrated the 10th anniversary of the club's historic hat-trick of premierships.

Since being axed by the club at the end of the 2006 season, the 2001 Brownlow medallist has made a sport of getting former teammates off side.

But on Thursday it was different as he shared jokes with Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch, Brad Scott, Jamie Charman, Simon Black and anyone else within his vicinity.

Leppitsch – who Akermanis previously claimed he had never been close with – was the first to make light-hearted jokes about his former teammate.

He recalled a time when Matthews was questioning Akermanis' ability to win the hard ball.

"Jason, as only he could, was trying to convince Leigh that he was so fast that he was turning hard ball gets into loose ball gets."

The population of Bribie will swell on Saturday 25th of May .:p

Aker will be pulling on a Bribie jersey when they play against ladder leader Maroochydore.

Bless his little cotton socks, he is all for promoting the game.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back