Jason Carter

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, Cerra does not have the tank to play midfield. Pure and simple. He will be a midfielder in time. He is getting valuable experience at the moment and he will be better for it. Better to play him out of position and get games under his belt than playing midfield for Peel each week

So his tank has gone backwards from last year to this year?

Thought I'd bump this thread in the hope that someone knows what has gone on with Jason. He looked such a promising prospect, but seems to have fallen off the radar completely. Not injured that I am aware of, does anyone have any insight?

Isn't the story he likes to party? I'm getting a 100% going to be delisted vibe.
I had heard that, but I take 0% notice of any rumours I hear about our players, wondered if anyone actually knows of anything holding him back. Sad if that is the case though.

I had heard that, but I take 0% notice of any rumours I hear about our players, wondered if anyone actually knows of anything holding him back. Sad if that is the case though.
A lot of the impressions stem from appearances - cool cat hairdo, Instagram posts and of course the DJ party he and his girlfriend hosted earlier in the year that got him and a couple of others in trouble.

The other thing is that aside from a few Freo website gallery pictures he hasn’t been mentioned at all by the assistant coaches in the scratch matches. Will be interesting to see what happens at end of the year but if there are ruthless cuts required especially from the Rookie list he will be struggling. Even in the two AFL games His composure lacked a littLe but defended quite well in the Peel games I watched last year.

From the scratch match vs Geelong:

Jarvis Pina and Jason Carter
We had Jarvis Pina and Jason Carter working between half back and the wing. Both of them were really lively. I think there was a bit of freedom to play up on the wing and get a bit of run outside of the cage of playing in defence. Both guys competed hard in both positions. Jason, in particular, showed some real desperation in defence to spoil and win his own footy, which was a good return to form by him.
Jarvis got himself into some goal scoring positions late in the game and continued to show his speed off half back and his ability to find a free target.

I thought he looked a long way off the pace in his couple of games. Could just be taking his time getting to the level.
I thought he looked pretty promising against Geelong, but the less said about him in the St Kilda game the better

From the scratch match vs Geelong:

Jarvis Pina and Jason Carter
We had Jarvis Pina and Jason Carter working between half back and the wing. Both of them were really lively. I think there was a bit of freedom to play up on the wing and get a bit of run outside of the cage of playing in defence. Both guys competed hard in both positions. Jason, in particular, showed some real desperation in defence to spoil and win his own footy, which was a good return to form by him.
Jarvis got himself into some goal scoring positions late in the game and continued to show his speed off half back and his ability to find a free target.

Wouldn't be adverse to see him trialled on a wing. Supposed to be the fastest or one of the fastest of the entire list. Just not sure if he has the tank or the commitment, seems a bit slapdash professionally. Also lacks consistency at AFL level and has really fought his way into best 22 calculations. I wouldn't mind seeing it though, seems highly unlikely at this stage

Wouldn't be adverse to see him trialled on a wing. Supposed to be the fastest or one of the fastest of the entire list. Just not sure if he has the tank or the commitment, seems a bit slapdash professionally. Also lacks consistency at AFL level and has really fought his way into best 22 calculations. I wouldn't mind seeing it though, seems highly unlikely at this stage
You would think having walters & tendai as mentors & playing, training alongside Liam would give the NGA s aspiration to take it to the next level.
If not move them on & get the next crop in.

He always seemed to me like a bit of a novelty free hit - the 1st academy prospect of many on an empty Cat B list.

If the penny hasn't yet dropped I wonder if the coaches see something in him to persist with beyond this year.. Our academy by all reports looks pretty healthy so perhaps some kids with some real drive can take his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont do that.

I remember as a kid a 70m kick that destroyed my beloved old Easts.
haha - someone posted that 4th quarter and Carter's short legs going the 70m torp after the siren for a 1-point win. :D

(Also Stephen Michael was well-beaten in the ruck that quarter by Paul Harding, but some of his forward half plays were magnificent).

So his tank has gone backwards from last year to this year?
That's not true. In fact the opposite is true. His tank has improved hugely this year. He finished in the top 7 of the 2km in the preseason which doesnt mean much normally but he'd be the most improved distance runner at the club in my view. He's also played more game tine on a wing than any other position. He's done a few run down tackles in recent times that make you think that he's quicker than most thought as well.

Anyone got the highlights reel going yet? Dying to see more of his game.
Is this what you are looking for?

It was a 13 on 13 a side game.
Here's the Eastaugh write-up to.

Last edited:
That's not true. In fact the opposite is true. His tank has improved hugely this year. He finished in the top 7 of the 2km in the preseason which doesnt mean much normally but he'd be the most improved distance runner at the club in my view. He's also played more game tine on a wing than any other position. He's done a few run down tackles in recent times that make you think that he's quicker than most thought as well.
Haha what a random bump

You would think having walters & tendai as mentors & playing, training alongside Liam would give the NGA s aspiration to take it to the next level.
If not move them on & get the next crop in.

He’s currently not taking up a list spot as he’s a Category B rookie.

I cannot see us listing a non NGA Category B rookie for next season given the circumstances around Covid 19 etc so it’s really down to whether the club thinks our NGA guys behind Walker and Western have enough potential to warrant a spot.

At this Walker and Western seemed to be getting talked about as National Draft prospects. No one else seems to be mentioned at all as a draft prospect tbh.

If the AFL does not cut the Category B rookie list down at all there’s a reasonable chance he ends up staying imo.

Isn't the story he likes to party? I'm getting a 100% going to be delisted vibe.
after today's news i reckon it's just about certain he's gone at the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back