Jason Carter

Remove this Banner Ad

Next generation academy members will likely have these issues more than most. Hence being next generation academy members.

Rendell lost his job as List Manager of the Crows for saying something about risks in recruiting Aboriginal players.

Can't remember exactly what he said, but the issue was not him saying recruiting is risky but saying that some risks are based on ethnicity
I know exactly what happened with Rendell, but not sure what that had to do with my initial comment. Rendell said he wouldn't draft an indigenous player unless one parent was white.

Rendell lost his job as List Manager of the Crows for saying something about risks in recruiting Aboriginal players.

Can't remember exactly what he said, but the issue was not him saying recruiting is risky but saying that some risks are based on ethnicity

I think his comments were based around judging the parents of the draftee.

It’s funny how some of the same people condemning Carter are in favour of us trading in Taylor. Just bizarre but not surprising. Some were fully supportive of giving Harley every chance he needed too.

I know exactly what happened with Rendell, but not sure what that had to do with my initial comment. Rendell said he wouldn't draft an indigenous player unless one parent was white.
I assumed when you said NGA will have these issues more than most you meant what Rendell meant.
And I think Rendell was harshly treated BTW and raising a legit issue.

I assumed when you said NGA will have these issues more than most you meant what Rendell meant.
And I think Rendell was harshly treated BTW and raising a legit issue.
In Carter's and Thomas's case I was referencing wider societal issues in the Kimberley region (having worked there for a bit myself, I have seen it first hand). My understanding of the reasons these academies exist is to attract and keep talent that otherwise would not have made to AFL level get the chance to do so. With that in mind, I don't find it too surprising that 2/4 players on our list from that area have run in to these issues.

Does that make what Jason has done any less silly? No. But I hope the club gives him the support he needs to build from this, which it definitely sounds like they are doing with the education program and how harshly they are treating it suspension wise.

In Carter's and Thomas's case I was referencing wider societal issues in the Kimberley region (having worked there for a bit myself, I have seen it first hand). My understanding of the reasons these academies exist is to attract and keep talent that otherwise would not have made to AFL level get the chance to do so. With that in mind, I don't find it too surprising that 2/4 players on our list from that area have run in to these issues.

Does that make what Jason has done any less silly? No. But I hope the club gives him the support he needs to build from this, which it definitely sounds like they are doing with the education program and how harshly they are treating it suspension wise.
That's all well and good, but how long do you think clubs can continue to "support" players who are going down the wrong track?
The AFL is a business. You've got limited places on a team, and salary caps. Youthful indiscretion or not, it costs a club to keep developing a player who is only a chance of making it in the long run.

The question has to be raised at some point.

That's all well and good, but how long do you think clubs can continue to "support" players who are going down the wrong track?
The AFL is a business. You've got limited places on a team, and salary caps. Youthful indiscretion or not, it costs a club to keep developing a player who is only a chance of making it in the long run.

The question has to be raised at some point.
Hence the point of the academies. He's a category B rookie. It's essentially a free hit.

My point is, just because he's on the dockers list he shouldn't be judged any different to any other 20 year old thats f’ed up. Ok he may never ever make it to the AFL but thats not the end of the world.

Bullshit. The discipline needed from an AFL player is much greater than the average 20 year old. He made a choice to join the big time, and that requires a certain level of sacrifice. Consequently you will be held to a higher standard.

People were wheeling out the same excuses for Willie Rioli, and it's simply bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell Jason. I was looking forward to seeing you maybe get a chance and was talking you up about trialling on a wing...then this. Sega says game over dude, you just wasted a decent opportunity to do something pretty special for a good number of years. I have no qualms about you being a bit of a "larrikin" at 20 years old (we all have had our moments), but drink driving is an absolute no no. Very disappointed

As much as you understand that he's still only a kid, two years older than me in fact, but he's a professional football player, sh*t like this isn't on, especially getting caught.
Screw the fact that he's a pro footy player. It's unacceptable from any person, any age, any demographic, any profession, period.

You can be the life of the party and catch an Uber afterwards.
AFL footy players can't at the moment. They're in a COVID bubble.

It's not an excuse, but maybe young Jason was just over the limit and knew he couldn't catch an Uber and messed up his calculations...

AFL footy players can't at the moment. They're in a COVID bubble.

It's not an excuse, but maybe young Jason was just over the limit and knew he couldn't catch an Uber and messed up his calculations...
believe it was said he blew in excess of .08, that's hardly just over

believe it was said he blew in excess of .08, that's hardly just over

2 hours of drinking you can supposedly have 3 drinks. But the standard glass size mentioned in the guidelines is 1.1 standard drinks, not 1 (4.8% ABV in a 285ml glass). Just working to the guideline, the maths already starts out wonky and you can't actually have those 3 drinks in 2 hours.

Metabolism, body size, fat levels, gender, drinking on an empty stomach and a range of things impact on a range of things such as, how quickly alcohol is taken into the blood stream and what it's concentration is (e.g. the amount of blood in a big body like Schwarzenegger vs the amount of blood in mother Theresa) and how quickly it's metabolized etc.

ABV varies (most pale ales are above 5%), if you are drinking packaged product, they are in 375ml cans/stubby's (330ml if european) and not 285ml, working it all out is not straightforward. In any event, Mother Theresa was well over after one glass and Schwarzenegger could probably have at least one more than the guidelines and be safe (differences in gender, body mass etc)

Ultimately, if you are driving you should just stick to 1, just in recognition that driving is hazardous.

But I'd be sympathetic if he miscalculated and thought he was within the guidelines.

mate, this isn't Facebook and the year isn't 2009
Apologies that my articulation for the plight of my buddy wasn't captured as elaborately or as relevantly as what it could have been. If I knew there was a standard by which I needed to follow I would have given greater consideration to my post. I do know the year and the online forum in which I posted though, if that allays any concerns you may have.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

haha no you just reminded me of those (usually) 20-45 yo women (no offense) back in the early days of Facebook with the "sigh..." to get a myriad of sympathetic responses. Just took me back and got a lol. But, I will enjoy the rest of the week thank you, and you can't take that back.
All good mate. Funny how the origin story for Karen started so innocently huh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back