News Jason Castagna retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really think it was social media that killed his career. The real travesty was those DH supporters of ours booing him and giving him the Bronx cheers. Absolutely disgraceful booing a Tiger no bad how he’s playing and George was a triple premiership one. Some people are barbaric at times and just have no respect.
I just wished he‘d been dropped earlier in the year and given a longer run in the vfl to recapture form. By the time he was dropped he was totally devoid of form and then utterly destroyed of any dignity by Richmond hooligans who should’ve had their memberships removed.

Yeah, you'd have to think that copping it at games would hurt way worse than social media, maybe once that happened it was more like the final straw though?

Whenever I've thought about that 2017-2020 side I've thought of George running up and down the field, arms whirring, legs often faster than the rest of his body, applying pressure, linking play and putting the 'C' in chaos whenever the ball hit the ground in the Richmond forward fifty.

It was a fantastic thing to see him at his hungriest and he was as elite at what he did as anyone else in the side.

Sure, he couldn't do the things others could well enough, often enough, but way too few people recognise that literally nobody else in those sides could do what he did either.

Sorry to spoil the love in but I couldn’t be happier he’s gone. Him and Aarts’ selection every week destroyed us last year. Even during his premiership years, you could put Kayne Turner in his spot and the outcome would be the same. He was luckiest player of all time.

Im shocked to be sitting here.
Pretty sure after he retired I melted because of how he was treated on here and thought it was a big reason why he retired.

To have it confirmed hurts.

Pretty sure after he retired I melted because of how he was treated on here and thought it was a big reason why he retired.

Yep. Had my suspicions it was bully like related.
Like you mate I was a defender of the great George and what he meant too the Team.
Long Live King George.

Sorry to spoil the love in but I couldn’t be happier he’s gone. Him and Aarts’ selection every week destroyed us last year. Even during his premiership years, you could put Kayne Turner in his spot and the outcome would be the same. He was luckiest player of all time.

So even now you still have no idea on what drove the game style and the culture of giving to the team. The selfless guys were the ones the stars relied on.
No George (and his type), no flags. Look what it did to Rioli, Butler, Aarts…their selfless contribution wrecked their own careers, until they could escape to another role.
And social media did have a massive impact. Ask Steve Morris if it affected him. You’d get an illuminating response.

So Hardwick saying "Probably one of the hardest things for me was when Jason Castagna retired, he was one of the greatest role players, if not the greatest role player that our football club has ever seen,"

Without any reason to even bring it up doesn't even make you think for a second that what you think of Castagna might be wrong

I believe the triple prem coach who said he’s best role player we’ve ever had

I believe the triple prem coach who said he’s best role player we’ve ever had
Dimma also said he wished he had protected him more from the outside influences.

Castanga ended up in couple of game defining moments and fact is he didn't perform in those moments. Regardless of what he did the rest of the game those sort of situations always see a player cop s**t. I'm still of the view that Dimma should have protected him by dropping him earlier so he didn't get put in those situations until his form returned. The alternative of trying to explain George's role to nuffie supporters was never going to be an option.

Dimma also said he wished he had protected him more from the outside influences.

Castanga ended up in couple of game defining moments and fact is he didn't perform in those moments. Regardless of what he did the rest of the game those sort of situations always see a player cop s**t. I'm still of the view that Dimma should have protected him by dropping him earlier so he didn't get put in those situations until his form returned. The alternative of trying to explain George's role to nuffie supporters was never going to be an option.
💯 agree took him to long to drop him and let him get his confidence back up in the vfl. You could see he lost it in the afl needed a spell.

So Hardwick saying "Probably one of the hardest things for me was when Jason Castagna retired, he was one of the greatest role players, if not the greatest role player that our football club has ever seen,"

Without any reason to even bring it up doesn't even make you think for a second that what you think of Castagna might be wrong
Doesn't still explain the fact George should have been dropped to the vfl a lot early to get his mojo back he just kept playing him and his confidence was shot and the team was playing one less all bs for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So even now you still have no idea on what drove the game style and the culture of giving to the team. The selfless guys were the ones the stars relied on.
No George (and his type), no flags. Look what it did to Rioli, Butler, Aarts…their selfless contribution wrecked their own careers, until they could escape to another role.
And social media did have a massive impact. Ask Steve Morris if it affected him. You’d get an illuminating response.
Mate the other names I agree on 💯 , but come on Aarts added absolutely nothing to our side blind freddy could see it week after week picked. Didn’t work out for him as a forward and then we try to play him in the guts just to fit him in puzzling that was until he dropped him.

Judd, Cousins and co. were quick to praise the selfless work of Rowan Jones after the 2006 premiership. Stuff that goes unseen by fans and seemingly the media “experts“ as well.

Shame Dimma didn’t explain more to us about George’s role because the stuff we did notice; the stuff that goes on the stat sheet, was often terrible.

I did wish for that at the time, especially since our method was a bit of a mystery; I wanted to understand it better because we ranked so low on so many measures I wanted to know exactly what made it great.

In the end maybe it was all as simple as ‘buy in’. I don’t know, but like all coaches, when asked, Dimma spoke in annoying generalities and maybe with it being important and pivotal, George’s role was something he didn’t want to elaborate on.

Certainly made life hard for him and maybe unnecessarily so.

Doesn't still explain the fact George should have been dropped to the vfl a lot early to get his mojo back he just kept playing him and his confidence was shot and the team was playing one less all bs for me.
On the money Scooter as by the time he was jeered and heckled by his own horrible minority group of our supporter base he was fully destroyed. Just needed to go back after about round three and do 5-7 weeks in the VFL and only get selected if he was killing it. You can simply ignore social media by not reading the s**t and players are educated on this in stage one of TAC football. So if that killed George ( which is bs imho) it’s his own fault as education on SM for future stars starts early.
You however cannot switch off hungry blood thirsty, drunk barbarians once you’re in the cauldron.
George was killed by not being made accountable for constant poor performances and not being dropped to rebuild confidence. The barbarians then put the final dagger in his back.
SM had nothing to do with his demise.

Any chance you thinking the same about Mansell? Someone needed to play that role (and still does). Lots of Mansell haters carrying on each week and they would do the same if it was still Castagna.

Rioli played the role last game. I think he is the better of the three but also at times does bugger all offensively. But that can be ok.

The sh!t that was posted about him is a bloody disgrace and the people that posted them are ...............

Lets just say sh!t

Its a game and he doesnt select himself and did the best to his ability
Hope he goes well and has played 134 games for the mighty RFC

Go well son and have 5 boys

George never lost form. He did what he always did. He just became a scapegoat. Small forward roll players live and die by the result.

This year when we lost … huge focus on our small forward . Now we are wining 1 goal from our small forward is plenty . Get the picture.
scapegoat mentality is fugn huge in australia

George never lost form. He did what he always did. He just became a scapegoat. Small forward roll players live and die by the result.

This year when we lost … huge focus on our small forward . Now we are wining 1 goal from our small forward is plenty . Get the picture.
Yes and No

He really never lost form but his kicking issue's just continued to get worse and it was a snowball effect
It just got way out of control and the worse his kicking got the worse the criticism got and attention came.

The sh!t that was posted about him is a bloody disgrace and the people that posted them are ...............

Lets just say sh!t

Its a game and he doesnt select himself and did the best to his ability
Hope he goes well and has played 134 games for the mighty RFC

Go well son and have 5 boys
It had nothing to do with him retiring. Have you been to any TAC conferences and Inservices? Then to pro footy ones? The players are constantly educated on this and don’t go on the gullible line of thinking that’s what killed him.
IF IF 😉 he ignored this education then it’s his own fault.

It had nothing to do with him retiring. Have you been to any TAC conferences and Inservices? Then to pro footy ones? The players are constantly educated on this and don’t go on the gullible line of thinking that’s what killed him.
IF IF 😉 he ignored this education then it’s his own fault.
Different things effect different people in different ways

The most educated people become alcoholics or drug addicts and they have the education required not to fall into this trap
IF ;) He was somebody that has been effected then thats sad and again its a GAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back