News Jason Castagna retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimma also said he wished he had protected him more from the outside influences.

Castanga ended up in couple of game defining moments and fact is he didn't perform in those moments. Regardless of what he did the rest of the game those sort of situations always see a player cop s**t. I'm still of the view that Dimma should have protected him by dropping him earlier so he didn't get put in those situations until his form returned. The alternative of trying to explain George's role to nuffie supporters was never going to be an option.

The trouble was we didn't have players ready to take over without throwing kids to the wolves before they were quite ready.

So Hardwick saying "Probably one of the hardest things for me was when Jason Castagna retired, he was one of the greatest role players, if not the greatest role player that our football club has ever seen,"

Without any reason to even bring it up doesn't even make you think for a second that what you think of Castagna might be wrong
Nah. I’m content with my assessment of him. Bloody woeful footballer. Hardwick clearly just feels sorry for him so he’s sticking up for him all of a sudden. If you truly believe he’s the best role player that played under Dimma then I don’t know what to tell you.

Different things effect different people in different ways

The most educated people become alcoholics or drug addicts and they have the education required not to fall into this trap
IF ;) He was somebody that has been effected then thats sad and again its a GAME
I admire people that learn very quickly valuable lessons that can help them move further in life. IF 😂 only the whole world was so diligent , patient, smart and alert as you? 😇😉

It had a lot to do with him retiring. Open your eyes you sanctimonious git.
Have a bit of humility yourself for a change and try to see things from another perspective.
You are so horribly wrong on things around this footy club for years and yet keep spouting crap.
Remember when you were calling the board incompetent because the sign on Punt road hadn’t been taken down? Ffs. I’ve had enough.
No I’ve already explained my view on that Mr Abuser. I honestly believe it was him playing for too long with poor performances and the crowd killing him. If SM killed him then he committed suicide as they’re educated on that from 16yo.
ok now cut the personal tripe out and we’re all speculating here and unless JC says it then it’s bs imo and it would still be from his own demise. I’m very rarely wrong as pretty well everything got changed in the end and even the sign got taken down. 😂 git fmd what tree did you fall from? As for humility next time you’re in the bathroom have a hard look at yourself In the mirror.

Last edited:
Lol wot?

You’re buying Dimma spin because the guy clearly feels guilty George was trolled online. He’s now making outrageous claims that he was our best ever role player to make up for the fact he admittedly did not protect him at the time.

Are you RJK? Would explain a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lambert was a playmaker , Castagna a role player. What’s not clear about it?
Yep and both valuable in our three premierships. I think it’s hard to say he was our most valuable role player, but as a role of a small forward it would be hard to find someone better. Look at Griggs role in the ruck, Dan Jackson as a Tagger on some of the best etc etc.
I really think he got the best from what he was born with in footy and all players have a life span in some being longer or shorter than others. Full credit to him for all he achieved and according to an early poster he’s all happy in life so he’s moved on with no regrets, but only good memories. I admire grass root vfl players who can even get on a vfl list and for him to play in three premierships when we had a strong vfl side he should be proud of himself.

You seem to lack comprehension. He was getting bagged for years on here. What’s that got to do with 2020? Take a minute before you respond next time.
No he was still playing in GF so that wouldn’t have effected his performance. 😂 Really think about what you’re saying as if he was bagged for years and it effected him then how did he play in three flags? Once he broke into the side day one 2017 he hardly missed a game until 2022 mid season. So how did he manage to survive in the team and cope with all of the abuse you’re saying he was getting by reading SM ? Oh bc Dimma said it, but Jason hasn’t so meh. He just got worse and worse. It happens over and over again to many players. Comprehend ?

Last edited:
No he was still playing in GF so that wouldn’t have effected his performance. 😂 Really think about what you’re saying as if he was bagged for years and it effected him then how did he play in three flags? He just got worse and worse. It happens over and over again to many players. Comprehend ?

The cumulative effect led to him pulling the pin. Injury also contributed.
But the abuse impacted his confidence which led to form issues also.

The cumulative effect led to him pulling the pin. Injury also contributed.
But the abuse impacted his confidence which led to form issues also.
Not by SM. He hasn’t mentioned it and even when he retired. He knew he was down from his best and would have competition mainly from MRJ and Clarke so he moved on. He played nearly every game from 2017- to 3/4 of 22 so I think it’s still a fallacy as he just was done and no longer adequate for the role. He would’ve walked into most minnow clubs if he wanted to, but he knew his time was up.

Not by SM. He hasn’t mentioned it and even when he retired. He knew he was down from his best and would have competition mainly from MRJ and Clarke so he moved on. He played nearly every game from 2017- to 3/4 of 22 so I think it’s still a fallacy as he just was done and no longer adequate for the role. He would’ve walked into most minnow clubs if he wanted to, but he knew his time was up.

You are wrong. It did have an impact. He even alluded to it in his farewell speech, but it was worse than he intimated.
Is it because you were one who sledged him on here that you don’t want to believe it?

You are wrong. It did have an impact. He even alluded to it in his farewell speech, but it was worse than he intimated.
Is it because you were one who sledged him on here that you don’t want to believe it?
No he didn’t as he constantly played with hardly any disruptions. Nope it had no bearing on his game as players are educated to avoid the bs in all professional sports. IF IF IF IF he did well more foolish him as whoever was bagging him is irrelevant as he failed to take professional advice given to him. As I said earlier you just make it up to suit your agenda. Another thing you’re also assuming he read BigFooty which just shows you’re trolling 😂. You‘re just a troll on here and a miniature version of Fireman Sam for Dimma. Your nonsense has not convinced me one bit.

Clowns on here reckon they only started bagging him in the last 6 months.
This crap went on for years. Eg 2019 GF prime example.

Players have been bagged since the beginning of football, but most supporters reserved it for the opposition, or if one of their own, it was reserved for the players who don't put in anywhere near 100%, or only put in when it suited them.

I never have got and never will get 'supporters' mercilessly bagging players who try their guts out, like somehow their ranting into the interwind will magically squeeze 50% improved performance out of someone already giving 100%.

Players have been bagged since the beginning of football, but most supporters reserved it for the opposition, or if one of their own, it was reserved for the players who don't put in anywhere near 100%, or only put in when it suited them.

I never have got and never will get 'supporters' mercilessly bagging players who try their guts out, what more do they want?
Yeah it’s the sign of the times RW. I’m really weird as if I’m at a game or with friends I’m focussed just on watching it based clearly as a team performance. Yeah I absorb what individuals are doing , but when I watch the game again later I probably over analyse players and when I hit the BF keyboard I may overdo it. I’ve actually tried correcting this recently and just stick commenting on major deficiencies and areas of improvement. I really enjoy the VFL thread bc it’s more constructive as people are looking at our future and we’re basically being analytical and constructive. There are the odd loose screws in there, but not to the extent of the game day threads and early reviews after a loss. I’m still in favour of constructive criticism and positive feedback for players, but the reality is that it’s a football fan forum and not a footballer’s forum so it’s open to all comments by members of it providing they post within the forum rules. Footballers are educated and warned not to participate in them as fans become emotional, upset and carry on especially after losses. In a course I attended players were also told not to listen to close family members and friends who read posts as they can actually be the most destructive people to their careers bc of their emotional attachment . They pass on what’s being posted on these fan forums which could lead to a build up of negativity and player confidence and performance sags.

I don't get why people are bringing this up again because of the Hardwick podcast, it was plain obvious he retired because of the hate he was getting, you didn't need Hardwick to say those comments to realise that.
people were going onto he's social media account & saying unacceptable things most of them would have been angry Richmond supporters too.

You can get mad about people not playing to your expectation that's what this forum is for, but I didn't like how some people went on his social media account & was negative that never helps anyone it will probably only make them play worse.

I don't get why people are bringing this up again because of the Hardwick podcast, it was plain obvious he retired because of the hate he was getting, you didn't need Hardwick to say those comments to realise that.
people were going onto he's social media account & saying unacceptable things most of them would have been angry Richmond supporters too.

You can get mad about people not playing to your expectation that's what this forum is for, but I didn't like how some people went on his social media account & was negative that never helps anyone it will probably only make them play worse.
Yep, but in reality IF IF he allowed these swines to enter comments on his SM pages by making the page open for all comments from the public then he failed to take the advice taught. I think it’s all bs as he’s happy as a pig in mud with no regrets now.
IF iF IF what Dimma is saying is true then it’s a self admission of him being incompetent as well. That’s why I’m not buying into it unless JC actually states it as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back