News Jason Castagna retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread being resurrected just shows how bored people get in bye weeks. Simple fact he was a limited footballer who's career exceeded what it should have been. Was blessed to play in 3 flags.

Was equally blessed to retain his spot in the side for years. In 8 years of a professional environment he couldn't even do basic skills like handballing to a team mate or even to their advantage. He would put it at their feet or they'd be 5m away yet he'd miss them by 3m yet somehow hit the opposition on the chest. Far superior players than Castagna such as Caddie had their papers stamped so that's football.

I can only assume the reason so many adored him is they felt like him succeeding was like some sick pseudo way of showing that anybody (themselves included) can fulfill their dream of being a premiership winning player. Because he was an "anybody" as in you could almost go to any decent local team and find somebody playing who's a superior player to Cantstandya!

He was paid well and part of his role was he will be scrutinized. If he was dropped on the back of a few stinkers then I'd argue he wouldn't really be hated. The fact he retained his spot on the back of a dozen stinkers on the trot with a couple of close losses thrown in where you could literally pinpoint a handful of Castagna stuffups that literally cost us the game.

If people came to his house and abused him that's despicable and I'd be appalled! If people abused him on social media and he was too brain dead to turn off or ignore then it just proves he's not very bright and gets zero sympathy from me.

I don't know what a Castagna fan looks like as all my family, mates and workmates even aquaintances who I talk footy with absolutely dispised him. I guess some people are too stupid to realise an opposition strategy used from when Adam was knee high is double team the guns like Dusty or Lynch as they'll punish you with ball in hand within the 50m arc.

Leave useless spuds like Castagna unopposed and prey his teammates are lazy and stupid enough to hit up Castagna. As odds are he's not only missing..... He's missing that badly that it shakes morale.

I actually have a backhanded compliment for Georgie in that MRJ has been so 💩💩💩 this year that I would rather Castagna in the team than him. At least George could find the pill. When you're getting 15 touches as a spud you're bound to have a handful of clangers. Sadly MRJ is having almost as many with only 7 or 8 touches.

Last edited:
I don't get why people are bringing this up again because of the Hardwick podcast, it was plain obvious he retired because of the hate he was getting, you didn't need Hardwick to say those comments to realise that.
people were going onto he's social media account & saying unacceptable things most of them would have been angry Richmond supporters too.

You can get mad about people not playing to your expectation that's what this forum is for, but I didn't like how some people went on his social media account & was negative that never helps anyone it will probably only make them play worse.
It’s only being talked about again because of Hardwick candidly talking about Castagna on the Dyl and Friends podcast and a couple of thing’s specifically about him being the greatest role player the club has ever seen

Typical posters having a hard time separating personal feelings about a player and what they think they offered for the side and feeling they have a better insight into the inner workings and mechanisms of playing at AFL level and the expectations that certain players have (role players)

It’s not the first time that it’s come directly from internal sources that what Castagna did for the side was extremely valuable and can’t simply be measured on the stats sheet yet for whatever reason weekend warriors who’s only real understanding of actual footy game plans are from divvy 3 under 18’s in the northern footy league

It’s only being talked about again because of Hardwick candidly talking about Castagna on the Dyl and Friends podcast and a couple of thing’s specifically about him being the greatest role player the club has ever seen

Typical posters having a hard time separating personal feelings about a player and what they think they offered for the side and feeling they have a better insight into the inner workings and mechanisms of playing at AFL level and the expectations that certain players have (role players)

It’s not the first time that it’s come directly from internal sources that what Castagna did for the side was extremely valuable and can’t simply be measured on the stats sheet yet for whatever reason weekend warriors who’s only real understanding of actual footy game plans are from divvy 3 under 18’s in the northern footy league
Then this whole issue comes down to a communication breakdown between club and supporters. Hardwick and other people at the club can say he is the greatest role player all they like but they needed to explain why or how. Because each week all supporters saw were occasional moments of x factor but that was undercut by a lot of basic skill errors.

If the club didn't act like the AFL and just said "Castagna is great for our side because he does X which allows Y" then most of the supporter base would adjust.

Then this whole issue comes down to a communication breakdown between club and supporters. Hardwick and other people at the club can say he is the greatest role player all they like but they needed to explain why or how. Because each week all supporters saw were occasional moments of x factor but that was undercut by a lot of basic skill errors.

If the club didn't act like the AFL and just said "Castagna is great for our side because he does X which allows Y" then most of the supporter base would adjust.
They have at times the best info coming from Konrads first book after we won the flag that has a fair bit of information on Butler, Castagna and Rioli in the 2017 side and the unrewarding blocking of outlets of opposing sides exit routes to start a counter player out of our forward line and repeat sprint pressure acts and being asked to play as defensive forwards on the defensive side of stoppages and marking contests instead of goal side giving team mates a greater chance to score over themselves as individuals

And it’s not a just a Richmond issue it’s an issue that is league wide with most sides having defensive forward role players that are often copping a lot of s**t from fans that are either to lazy to look at why they are doing certain things or just don’t want to

Always loved you George 👍🏻

Love you George!

3 x Premiership player George, that is!

george costanza comedy GIF

The problem reflects wider society in that everything - almost in the spirit to the old left v right debate - is about extremes.
Some did take things a few far on here, but it's a reaction to others taking things to extremes.
George was a flawed a footballer, particularly on the skill side of things, who the club found a niche role for for a couple of years and it worked.
It was clear it wasn't working for a long time and I actually felt sorry for him that Hardwick and his match committee kept picking him. Said it at thr time and will say it know, they did him a disservice.
And while those who bagged him mercilessly didn't help, those who ('defended him' is not the words) more like put him up on a pedestal and praised him as some sort of Hall of Famer and failed to see how mightily he was struggling on field didn't help matters either.
It got to the point that one poster (who shall remain nameless) was telling all and sundry how well George played once 'because he kicked a goal', totally shunning the fact he laid one tackle and touched the ball four times in 80-plus minutes of football.
Extremes!!
PERSPECTIVE is a good thing.
As we see daily here, there are those who take it to extremes both ways - negatively and positively. The lack of OBJECTIVITY will derail most threads.

PS Trolling a players' individual media social account is about one - albeit small - step down from stalking or worse. Anyone here who did that should be ashamed. Then again, the sooner they shut Twitter down or make you use your REAL name, the sooner things will improve.

Campaigners still here digging the boots into him. Unbelievable. Have we learnt nothing?
Absolutely disgraceful.
Imagine admonishing Castagna for not adjusting his security settings on his SM to stop the hate and vitriol from getting through instead of admonishing the absolute sub par human beings who went to such lengths to denigrate Castagna on any platform possible.
We all love Footy, but to take it so seriously that you abuse players directly, whether it be in person or online is just embarrassing and utterly disgusting.

A few of you on here need to take a long hard look at yourselves and reflect on the s**t you've spouted in here.
The man was pushed into retirement predominantly because of how he was treated online, but yet it still continues??
Make it make sense.

If you don't like Castagna, that's completely fine, but why do you feel the need to voice it so vehemently?

Reckon people now pity George which is why they pretend he was a valuable player. Take a step back and watch his actual performances. No one in their right mind can say he was anything but a woeful footballer.

I was never his biggest fan either, but he was obviously doing a lot right in the coaches eyes. Dimmas 10+ years coaching experience beats our two hour a week gaming watching any day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon people now pity George which is why they pretend he was a valuable player. Take a step back and watch his actual performances. No one in their right mind can say he was anything but a woeful footballer.
He was one of the best players in 2019 GF in my opinion, yeah we flogged GWS & other players dominated so he doesn't get the credit.
But imo he's pressure havoc & choas really troubled the Giants that day.

Last edited:
Nah. I’m content with my assessment of him. Bloody woeful footballer. Hardwick clearly just feels sorry for him so he’s sticking up for him all of a sudden. If you truly believe he’s the best role player that played under Dimma then I don’t know what to tell you.
What a steaming pile of bullshit.

What makes you think you know more about it than Dimma?

You are seriously deluded with your own self importance.

He was one of the best players in 2019 GF in my opinion, yeah we flogged GWS & other players dominated so he doesn't get the credit.
But imo he's pressure havoc & choas really troubled the Giants that day.
Bad kicking is bad football. What did he kick, 0.5? Imagine if it was a close game. That type of wayward kicking could’ve cost us the Grand Final. Like I said, the luckiest player of all time.

Has anyone considered that his form issues may not have been his alone? His role was to be a very small but vital cog in an overall machine. When that machine started coughing and spluttering, the cog really struggled...

Well, there's a surprise.

Then the online pile-on started and he got worse.

Well, there's another surprise.

You’d think you would never ever have to go into bat for a 3 time premiership player when your team was the joke of the comp. But I guess having such a large supporter base you are going to get all types of supporters.

Bad kicking is bad football. What did he kick, 0.5? Imagine if it was a close game. That type of wayward kicking could’ve cost us the Grand Final. Like I said, the luckiest player of all time.

Not like he was the spearhead and we were looking for him and relying on him to kick a bag. ( lynch type)He got his own ball and pinned the ears back .

Dimma delivered 3 flags which is phenomenal. But reality is his pressers weren't worth listening to. So I'll never listen to said forecast. As much as I can't stand unsuccessful figjam Buckley I can listen to him as he's a pretty straight shooter.

I'm 40 and have zero interest in social media. Any imbecile like George or Travis Cloke who's getting effected by social media can ignore it if they want to. And this greatest ever horse 💩 is typical of how people nowadays put no thought to their statements. Dimma's 50 so reality is he has no idea about anything football related before the 80's much less at Punt Rd as I know he never barracked for the 🐯🐯.

It was universally accepted Hayden Bunton was the greatest footballer of all time. Now through passing of time and everyone wanting it all about now he's never ever mentioned in the greatest team. A bum like Lachie Neale is considered better than Bunton nowadays.

A Good father with 2 daughter's (one who's a 10 and the other who's a 5 on a good day) will always tell the 5 she's a beautiful princess to pump her tyres up. He doesn't need to with the 10 cos she knows the reality.

George is a 3 on a good day. And I love how everyone will justifiably kick the 💩 out of McKay or Missy Higgins yet celebrate Castagna for doing it on GF day????? If we lost that day I wonder if some of the imbeciles would still celebrate his GF performance??? Butler and Higgins kicked 5 against us the other day. I always rated Butler ahead of Castagna and Rioli as small forwards.

I wish we kept Butler as he'll kick another 200+ AFL goals George will kick 0. Rioli down back has been a masterstroke but have people forgotten why the move was made?

Good on Dimma for continuing to stick up for his players and I hope George knows his 3 premiership medals are well deserved, he worked his ass off and sacrificed his own game to get each of them. I think where the trouble started for George was being selected in the same side as Aarts, if Dimma feels any guilt it should be at the selectin table, George & Aarts were a diabolical duo who together lost games of football off their own boot. In good sides that are gelling average ability role players can be covered, in bad sides their deficiencies are glaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back