Toast Jason Castagna Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if OP is genuine or a pisstake.

Some really classless posts on the Richmond board. Poor guy gives them three flags and even in retirement is still a whipping boy.

Enjoy retirement. Got the absolute best of himself.

I would agree with that. I would never, ever personally slag off/criticize a Carlton premiership player.

What is with the timing though? Shoulder tap or injury or preseason motivation loss?
Rumour is he's heading back to Italy, he's been receiving death threats from Tigers supporters because his brain fades cost Richmond a Top 4 spot last year.

Found out why he retired. He’s a victim of “winning fatigue”. Basically won so much he could no longer take it. It’s a serious thing. Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood supporters wouldn’t understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He better hope he doesn’t run into Quinton Narkle on the streets.

I dunno CB17. Those clubs have won 5 of heir last 39 against us. 5 huge wins. :cool:
His hammies overloaded due to all thise medals and then mentally he couldn’t take the winning anymore. It tired him out.

I'm not all that familiar with his play, but the timing of this is appalling.
If we assume that what he says is true, then he has maximised the pain on his club by retiring now. Why not earlier, so they could have replaced him? Pretty poor behaviour.
Meh.
Less important now with the mid season Draft.
He's probably playing most weeks in the VFL side anyway.
Better than staying on when U know ur cooked just for the pay cheque.
Good on the fella.

Last edited:
Congratulations on an amazing career, three flags is something most players can only dream of.

What is with the timing though? Shoulder tap or injury or preseason motivation loss?

I'm not all that familiar with his play, but the timing of this is appalling.
If we assume that what he says is true, then he has maximised the pain on his club by retiring now. Why not earlier, so they could have replaced him? Pretty poor behaviour.
Pretty poor quote from you BRL121, criticising a player without understanding the situation..

Georges retirement speech is on the Richmond website. He addresses the fact he's lost the love of footy. That he has struggled with it this pre season. That he feels really bad about the poor timing, because it doesn't help the club, but he doesn't want to be seen as selfish. It's a decision that has taken weeks.

Go well George, you squeezed everything out of yourself. Wouldn't have been in the top 30 on our list talent wise, would be top 10 for dedication, sacrifice, work rate. Did exactly what Dimma asked of him, many wouldn't see this. Dimma addressed it himself.

If some of our other early draft failures of the last 20 years (I don't have to name them) had even half of the fire inside that George had, they'd have made it.

Strange timing. Good ordinary player

Nah mate: INCREDIBLE ordinary player! Probably the greatest ordinary player to ever pull on a pair of boots. Definitely the best I've seen at Richmond - and you all know how many ordinary players we've had over the years.

His "ordinaryness vs success" quotient must be historic. Check out his draft highlights. No one has overachieved like George! I doubt we'll ever see a career like that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back